Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not at all the same thing. McKie was used as filler to make the $ work and just retired after the trade. He did not return to the team and contribute to anything.
    Wasn't he retired prior to the trade and told him to come back just to make the deal work?

Duh and/or hello! Ode to Triple Ocho's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    in A I still cant believe a player like can make over a mil a month playing defense like Fisher..Crazy , he must have the biggest smile on his face when he's checking his bank account statements.
    No one in the NBA plays defense like fisher

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    LMAO lakerfan still having to defend the Gasol trade
    We don't have to defend it. Everyone other than butthurt Spur fans realize it was a good trade for Memphis (including Memphis fan). Common knowledge by now.

KG was still obvious collusion by best buds. The fact that Mchale turned down Bynum and Odom makes it look even worse.

Pop tried his best to make a trade for some good but instead he got a 14 million dollar, STD infested that never gets hard.

Where's your trade committee now, Pops?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was Jerry West in the Memphis payroll at the time of the trade?

Ok..thanks for trying.
    Oh, yeah. He couldn't possibly have had anything to do with it.

you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Oh, yeah. He couldn't possibly have had anything to do with it.

is it collusion if he did?

yes sir, you failed again.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm glad Laker Fan still has no explanation as to why Memphis was so desperate for cap relief when dumping their best player, but suddenly demanded fair trade value for their second best player.

Believe.
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    lol at people who still cant pinpoint why the Gasol deal was unfair.

"Its unfair...its collusion"

"why?"

*crickets
    Can't we say the adding of McKie was unfair since the league closed that loophole later on? Isn't the loophole what Phil is complaining about ?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I hate this too! Hope this type of system changes. After *cough cought* we get *cough cough* Gooden.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm glad Laker Fan still has no explanation as to why Memphis was so desperate for cap relief when dumping their best player, but suddenly demanded fair trade value for their second best player.
    They wanted Gasol out. It's well known that the season ticket holders were pressuring the FO. They wanted the largest expiring contract and combo of future picks they could get. Now that they had the cap room and a good group of young players... they start their rebuilding process. If they wanted more cap space i suppose they could have looked for another expiring. What is so absurd with them wanting fair trade value for their second best player?
    They used the cap space and picks to pick up Zach. So in essence, they got Marc Gasol and Zack for Pau. Seems to me like it worked out pretty wel for all involved.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    They wanted Gasol out. It's well known that the season ticket holders were pressuring the FO. They wanted the largest expiring contract and combo of future picks they could get. Now that they had the cap room and a good group of young players... they start their rebuilding process. If they wanted more cap space i suppose they could have looked for another expiring. What is so absurd with them wanting fair trade value for their second best player?
    They used the cap space and picks to pick up Zach. So in essence, they got Marc Gasol and Zack for Pau. Seems to me like it worked out pretty wel for all involved.
    i agree on that but hey its ok its between tile contenders anyways we got Pau they dont, fare trade or not we got him same with Cavs got Jamison dosent matter how they got him but they got him...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

#3) The Lakers actually tried everything they could to NOT include Marc Gasol in the trade....but Memphis wouldn't budge. They DEMANDED he be included in the deal or no deal you faces.

: : :
    Link, please?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It's a do ented fact. Chris Wallace has stated in a number of interviews Marc was a key piece in the trade. So has Mitch.

Do your own work. We could care less if you choose to live in ignorance.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a do ented fact. Chris Wallace has stated in a number of interviews Marc was a key piece in the trade. So has Mitch.

Do your own work. We could care less if you choose to live in ignorance.
    Oh, the irony in that statement coming from a Laker fan...

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It's well known that the season ticket holders were pressuring the FO.
    Yes, it's well known how most NBA fans will demand their team salary dump their best player! that's just how fans are!

Laker Fan is so freaking stupid.

So in essence, they got Marc Gasol and Zack for Pau.
    I've already pointed out very clearly why using Randolph/Marc Gasol's current performance as justification for a trade made 2 years ago is absolutely ridiculous, obtuse, and nothing more than an attempt to justify collusion.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yes, it's well known how most NBA fans will demand their team salary dump their best player! that's just how fans are!

Laker Fan is so freaking stupid..

What a moron. Where in my comment did I say they demanded the team dump salary. They were not happy with the direction of the team and specifically Pau. They wanted him out. Trade, Salary dump, whatever. Just gone.

“I have no buyer’s remorse,” Heisley said. “Listen, I can’t tell you how many people would tell me, wherever I went in Memphis, ‘Get rid of Gasol. …Trade Gasol.’

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

I've already pointed out very clearly why using Randolph/Marc Gasol's current performance as justification for a trade made 2 years ago is absolutely ridiculous, obtuse, and nothing more than an attempt to justify collusion.
    Some people can evaluate talent and project and others cannot. Don't feel bad you didn't recognize like some of us did. The draft picks and cap space were obtained so they could aquire a top notch player. They chose Zach. One clearly lead to the other. It's not rocket science.

"Many people thought Marc was just a throw-in in that trade, but Memphis had targeted him all along," said Herb Rudoy, Marc's agent. "If Marc wasn't included, Memphis never would have done it."

http://www.pe.com/sports/breakout/st...2.969b466.html

Several sources close to the process insist West played no part, and Heisley swears, “Jerry didn’t know about the trade until after it was done.”

Heisley didn’t offer up those names, but insisted, “Chicago wouldn’t offer us any of their good, core players,” he said. “Our people told me that we weren’t able to get equal trade value for Gasol and that we needed to do a deal that would give us cap space and draft picks. It was no secret in the league that we were considering offers for him, but the Lakers were the one team that stepped up.”

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    What a moron. Where in my comment did I say they demanded the team dump salary. They were not happy with the direction of the team and specifically Pau. They wanted him out. Trade, Salary dump, whatever. Just gone.

“I have no buyer’s remorse,” Heisley said. “Listen, I can’t tell you how many people would tell me, wherever I went in Memphis, ‘Get rid of Gasol. …Trade Gasol.’

Some people can evaluate talent and project and others cannot. Don't feel bad you didn't recognize like some of us did. The draft picks and cap space were obtained so they could aquire a top notch player. They chose Zach. One clearly lead to the other. It's not rocket science.

"Many people thought Marc was just a throw-in in that trade, but Memphis had targeted him all along," said Herb Rudoy, Marc's agent. "If Marc wasn't included, Memphis never would have done it."

Several sources close to the process insist West played no part, and Heisley swears, “Jerry didn’t know about the trade until after it was done.”

Heisley didn’t offer up those names, but insisted, “Chicago wouldn’t offer us any of their good, core players,” he said. “Our people told me that we weren’t able to get equal trade value for Gasol and that we needed to do a deal that would give us cap space and draft picks. It was no secret in the league that we were considering offers for him, but the Lakers were the one team that stepped up.”

LOL I dont hear any Mavs fans or Spurs fans responding to this,

ambchang is my bitch Daddy_Of_All_Trolls's Avatar
    My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Few people are going to read this, let alone be convinced by it but let's look at a few facts.

In 2007, before all these alleged "collusion" trades began, the leaders of the league were:

West: Spurs, Mavs, Suns.
    East: Pistons, Cavs.

No one else was elite, and the Cavs weren't even truly elite yet.

Now suddenly Boston goes from lottery to favorite. McHale raped our team and helped Boston. Is that collusion? How about good business instead, building a trading partner for the future. That is of course if McHale stuck around to deal with the Celtics, he didn't. All Boston gave up was Al Jefferson, draft picks and role players to get Garnett and Allen.

Then the Lakers get Gasol. No one seems to mention that Gasol had been on the trade block for months. I would have to assume offers were made unless someone can prove otherwise as there was interest from many teams, including Chicago and Phoenix back in late 2007. One excuse of the critics is the Lakers gave up nothing to get Gasol (Maybe Lamar Odom would have made the critics happy as he is a decent player, but he also wasn't expiring). So, the feeling is if Memphis had shopped Gasol around more, they could have received better players than Kwame Brown. Well, this seems to fail against the argument that Memphis just wanted expiring contracts. Suppose they get Luol Deng from Chicago or Amare Stoudemire from Phoenix. All they have done is traded one "franchise" player for another, who is also uinder contract for a few more years, and no cap relief in sight. However, these trades are neutral. No team gets a talent advantage over another. Therefore no one es about it.

Jerry West did nothing more than tell Mitch Kupchak that Gasol was available, but that was common knowledge. There was no collusion, it's just business like McHale and Ainge working together. What are they supposed to do, not deal because the haters will cry foul? Every NBA executive is connected to several teams in some way, shape, or form. It's always going to be easy to cry collusion.

The real cold hard truth is, both the Garnett/Allen and Gasol trades vaulted the Celtics and the Lakers ahead of the preseason favorite teams. The fact that it's also the Celtics and the Lakers, the two best and most hated franchises, leads the haters to never shut up about collusion and fixes. ie "Stern fixed it for a Celtics/Lakers finals."

So now it comes full circle. The Celtics and Lakers coaches are ing about Big Z going back to the Cavs. Well, tough. All I can say is worry about your team coaches and fans, not the other guy.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I'm just happy they didn't get stoudamire, that would have been a disaster.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it had been a fair trade, Laker fans wouldn't have to include the guys the Grizzlies picked up in free agency as a result of dumping Pau's salary to make it sound more balanced.

you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Few people are going to read this, let alone be convinced by it but let's look at a few facts.

In 2007, before all these alleged "collusion" trades began, the leaders of the league were:

West: Spurs, Mavs, Suns.
    East: Pistons, Cavs.

No one else was elite, and the Cavs weren't even truly elite yet.

Now suddenly Boston goes from lottery to favorite. McHale raped our team and helped Boston. Is that collusion? How about good business instead, building a trading partner for the future. That is of course if McHale stuck around to deal with the Celtics, he didn't. All Boston gave up was Al Jefferson, draft picks and role players to get Garnett and Allen.

Then the Lakers get Gasol. No one seems to mention that Gasol had been on the trade block for months. I would have to assume offers were made unless someone can prove otherwise as there was interest from many teams, including Chicago and Phoenix back in late 2007. One excuse of the critics is the Lakers gave up nothing to get Gasol (Maybe Lamar Odom would have made the critics happy as he is a decent player, but he also wasn't expiring). So, the feeling is if Memphis had shopped Gasol around more, they could have received better players than Kwame Brown. Well, this seems to fail against the argument that Memphis just wanted expiring contracts. Suppose they get Luol Deng from Chicago or Amare Stoudemire from Phoenix. All they have done is traded one "franchise" player for another, who is also uinder contract for a few more years, and no cap relief in sight. However, these trades are neutral. No team gets a talent advantage over another. Therefore no one es about it.

Jerry West did nothing more than tell Mitch Kupchak that Gasol was available, but that was common knowledge. There was no collusion, it's just business like McHale and Ainge working together. What are they supposed to do, not deal because the haters will cry foul? Every NBA executive is connected to several teams in some way, shape, or form. It's always going to be easy to cry collusion.

The real cold hard truth is, both the Garnett/Allen and Gasol trades vaulted the Celtics and the Lakers ahead of the preseason favorite teams. The fact that it's also the Celtics and the Lakers, the two best and most hated franchises, leads the haters to never shut up about collusion and fixes. ie "Stern fixed it for a Celtics/Lakers finals."

So now it comes full circle. The Celtics and Lakers coaches are ing about Big Z going back to the Cavs. Well, tough. All I can say is worry about your team coaches and fans, not the other guy.
    Good post, but dont compare 2007 Celtics with 2007 Lakers. Celtics were so crappy they were chantiing MVP to Kobe at the Garden. The first half of the 2008 season, the Lakers were first in the COnference. The Gasol trade made the Lakers a championship team, but without Gasol, they were probably a WCF team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You use a quote from Marc Gasol's agent to back up Laker fan claims that Memphis DEMANDED Marc Gasol be included in the trade or else it was off???

What do you expect his AGENT to say? You really think he's gonna admit that his CLIENT was a throw-in at the time? Still have yet to see anyone from the Memphis organization say that Marc Gasol was the focal point of that trade.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You use a quote from Marc Gasol's agent to back up Laker fan claims that Memphis DEMANDED Marc Gasol be included in the trade or else it was off???

What do you expect his AGENT to say? You really think he's gonna admit that his CLIENT was a throw-in at the time? Still have yet to see anyone from the Memphis organization say that Marc Gasol was the focal point of that trade.
    "He would fit," Wallace said, describing the 7-1, 265-pounder as much improved and an offensive dynamo. "He would be a very good addition to the team. All good additions are important right now. We'd like to get him in here, and I think he's ready to come over. He's really made a tremendous improvement, one of the most startling you'll see. He's a key reason why we made this deal. He was a second-round pick last year. There's no question he'd go in the first round this year.

That would be Chris Wallace. Memphis GM. Now you have seen it. A simple google search would have shown you. Good enough for you now? Spurfan really should do a little research before making himself look foolish.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...as-griz-eager/

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    "He would fit," Wallace said, describing the 7-1, 265-pounder as much improved and an offensive dynamo. "He would be a very good addition to the team. All good additions are important right now. We'd like to get him in here, and I think he's ready to come over. He's really made a tremendous improvement, one of the most startling you'll see. He's a key reason why we made this deal. He was a second-round pick last year. There's no question he'd go in the first round this year.

That would be Chris Wallace. Memphis GM. Good enough for you now? Spurfan really should do a little research before making himself look foolish.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...as-griz-eager/
    Spurs fans arent goin to agree with u, there just mad thinking it was an unfair trade, like we gave nothing away, i still remember reports saying that Marc would have been a 1st round draft pick if he would have been drafted the year he got traded, just let spurs fans believe what they want to believe

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Spurs fans arent goin to agree with u, there just mad thinking it was an unfair trade, like we gave nothing away, i still remember reports saying that Marc would have been a 1st round draft pick if he would have been drafted the year he got traded, just let spurs fans believe what they want to believe
    Of course they wont. Haters gotta hate. But the facts remain the facts and I just showed him EXACTLY what he said he's never seen. There are numerous articles where Heisly and Walace mention Marc as being a key component to the trade. Look at what the Grizz have done. The got Marc and cleared space to obtain Zach. They still own the Lakers pick and the Wizzards pick which is projected top 10. In hindsight, it would appear they did pretty well in the trade. Those of us who saw it then were laughed at and labled homers and idiots. Look who's laughing now. Everything that I said would come true at the time of the trade has done just that. Some people have vision, others don't. With the latter, you see a lot anomosity. It's just ignorance though. Lopsided my ass!

Believe.
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Can't we say the adding of McKie was unfair since the league closed that loophole later on? Isn't the loophole what Phil is complaining about ?
    No response on this from team LA??

"Crickets"

Thread Information