Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you figure that? There's more money to be made to be made in golf than nearly every other sport. Mickelson is a charisma vacuum and he makes more than Ronaldo. "D-league" sports are sports with no money in them, like Rugby , since sports with no money typically draw less talented people. Qualifying a sport by how much "running around" you do is re ed. Golf has never been obscure. It's been a big sport since the first British Open, and a sport with more history than Twinktrot. At bolded, NBA playoffs were on today, and the Masters will crush it in ratings, even if Tiger didn't exist.
    Rugby is another B-Sides sport, tbh, if you ask me. And how much 4-5 guys make doesn't really tell me much about the sport either. Your average golfer isn't nearly making that much, and, if we're talking dollars, a Formula 1 race probably takes many, many more millions to organize and run than a golfing event. They're still largely niche sports, which doesn't mean they can't find sponsorship, it only means they haven't broken past that mass popular appeal (as a sport). This is where the personal marketing machines come in, and pump up 2-3 guys in hopes that people will hook into it.
    That was the point I was trying to make, that's all, I'm not trying to knock off any sport particularly because it doesn't have a large popular appeal. I think it's silly not to acknowledge that reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^

I'll simplify this point. If you have a talented, uber-coordinated kid, these are the sports he should be pushed into if his goal is to become rich (not considering motorsports):

Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Tennis, Golf, T20 Cricket, Ice Hockey, Boxing.

Those are the only relevant sports in the world. All other sports are simply followed out of patriotic pride when there's a big international event or they might have high participation numbers (volleyball), but don't have much interest in their pro-league.
    When did becoming rich became this arbitrary goal? I can see that from an American viewpoint, tbh, but there's also other measuring sticks, like name brand recognition, etc. ie: while you probably couldn't name 100 handjob players from around the world, but can name 100 american football players, it's entirely the other way around in the rest of the world.

I would tier that list into:

1) Soccer, Basketball (universal sports, wide recognition)
    2) Tennis, Boxing (generally good individual recognition)
    3) Ice Hockey, Golf, Baseball, Car Racing in it's many forms (popularity exceeds a specific country, niche brand recognition with strong marketing on very specific players that could place them, not the sports, in tier 2)
    4) Football, Cricket, Rugby (regional phenomenons)

Again, this is not a knock on Football or Cricket. I wouldn't dare saying a Football fan is any less engaged than a Soccer fan at all. It's just a different measuring stick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rugby is another B-Sides sport, tbh, if you ask me. And how much 4-5 guys make doesn't really tell me much about the sport either. Your average golfer isn't nearly making that much, and, if we're talking dollars, a Formula 1 race probably takes many, many more millions to organize and run than a golfing event. They're still largely niche sports, which doesn't mean they can't find sponsorship, it only means they haven't broken past that mass popular appeal (as a sport). This is where the personal marketing machines come in, and pump up 2-3 guys in hopes that people will hook into it.
    That was the point I was trying to make, that's all, I'm not trying to knock off any sport particularly because it doesn't have a large popular appeal. I think it's silly not to acknowledge that reality.
    The 50th best golfer still made over 2 million. I have to disagree that golf doesn't have mass appeal. One of the highest participated sports in the world, and majors do draw big worldwide ratings, comparatively speaking. Masters will probably do 20 million here and 30 million across the world, estimating. Wimbledon Final does about 90 million. I don't see how F1 is niche, either. It's arguably the second biggest sport in Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When did becoming rich became this arbitrary goal? I can see that from an American viewpoint, tbh, but there's also other measuring sticks, like name brand recognition, etc. ie: while you probably couldn't name 100 handjob players from around the world, but can name 100 american football players, it's entirely the other way around in the rest of the world.

I would tier that list into:

1) Soccer, Basketball (universal sports, wide recognition)
    2) Tennis, Boxing (generally good individual recognition)
    3) Ice Hockey, Golf, Baseball, Car Racing in it's many forms (popularity exceeds a specific country, niche brand recognition with strong marketing on very specific players that could place them, not the sports, in tier 2)
    4) Football, Cricket, Rugby (regional phenomenons)

Again, this is not a knock on Football or Cricket. I wouldn't dare saying a Football fan is any less engaged than a Soccer fan at all. It's just a different measuring stick.
    My point by citing earning power illustrates a sport's relevancy. I'm sure 100 million people around the world tuned in to watch Michael Phelps break records, but swimming is largely irrelevant otherwise. A billion people play volleyball around the world, but the sport also has no flourishing professional league. I mostly agree with your tiers, but I think you undersell cricket. Sure, India boosts its fandom, but the sport is relevant beyond the subcontinent in Australia, UK, and the Caribbean.

My main issue is when sports fans dismiss sports like golf because they have this idea that a "real sport" needs to involve running and jumping to degree. Not sure if that's the angle you were coming from, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask the average sports fan who won the NBA Finals last year.....they'll probably know.
    Ask the average sports fan who won the Super Bowl last year....they'll probably know.
    How many ppl do you think will be able to tell you that Patrick ing Reed won last years Masters....only diehard Golf fans.

It's just a totally different category with Tiger in the hunt. Do you think I would have watched one second of the Masters if Tiger was on the 4th page of the Leaderboard? I hate to say it....but there are several ppl just like me. If Tiger is in the hunt....must watch. Rory, Dustin Johnson, or literally any other golfer on the planet battling for the trophy....no thank you.
    Hate to say it...........but same here. I would have been workin on the yard instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cowherd is such a huge got tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a stupid attempt at a joke. I mean, I can say I can't take seriously any sport that has R. Kelly as its biggest proponent.
    Let me know when R.Kelly is a fat liar destroying the country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really do like golf, a whole lot. But lets just cut through the chase and get real. Golf is a sport that the entire field can have a dad bod and you can compete. This is a huge reason for its popularity. You do not have to be anywhere CLOSE to being in shape and compete at a top level. This is very appealing to the average Joe sittin his large pizza, box uh chicken, taco bell, whataburger with cheese scarfin ass.

Just sayin

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Let me know when R.Kelly is a fat liar destroying the country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My point by citing earning power illustrates a sport's relevancy. I'm sure 100 million people around the world tuned in to watch Michael Phelps break records, but swimming is largely irrelevant otherwise. A billion people play volleyball around the world, but the sport also has no flourishing professional league. I mostly agree with your tiers, but I think you undersell cricket. Sure, India boosts its fandom, but the sport is relevant beyond the subcontinent in Australia, UK, and the Caribbean.

My main issue is when sports fans dismiss sports like golf because they have this idea that a "real sport" needs to involve running and jumping to degree. Not sure if that's the angle you were coming from, though.
    Not my angle. Just pointing out that’s difficult to compare sports, and there’s certainly more than one rationale, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate to say it...........but same here. I would have been workin on the yard instead.
    That's my point. Also...as soon as I got to work two different coworkers asked me, "Did you see Tiger yesterday?" That conversation doesn't even happen if any other person wins. They would have probably asked about the NBA Playoffs instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Tiger was ing done after that DUI. Not even gonna lie. Youre still a got for bringing politics or race into the conversation. That's par for the course (pun intended) for you though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot which golfer it was, but after the Masters, one of them described how much better the crowds are with Tiger in the mix and that the players themselves like that there's much more media coverage that helps them get recognized more, as well..

I think it was man that is married to Gretzky's daughter..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it takes these kind of transcendent athletes (or like elnono said, guys with the media hype machine) to make these "sports" remotely marketable to the average sports fan. i'm sure there are swimming die hards, but the average person didnt give a about swimming for a while until phelps. the average person didnt give a about track until usain bolt. tiger gets casual sports fans to tune into golf every once in a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    no. Earl met his 2nd wife in Thailand when he was stationed there.

Jeez you foreigners are stupid.
    What did I say that is incorrect? Tiger's father has no game which is why he was relegated to buying a mail order bride while he was stationed in Thailand because he can not get an attractive white chick, attractive hispanic chick or attractive black chick. So, in your book being a loser who has to buy their personal piece of ass is fine if someone is stationed in a hole country? Don't act like loser servicemen don't bring themselves a wife from third world countries like the Philippines and Thailand. Funny thing though, Philippinas and Thai brides greatly outnumber the amount of German, and Japanese women married to American servicemen because German and Japan are not hole countries unlike Thailand and the Philippines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did I say that is incorrect? Tiger's father has no game which is why he was relegated to buying a mail order bride while he was stationed in Thailand because he can not get an attractive white chick, attractive hispanic chick or attractive black chick. So, in your book being a loser who has to buy their personal piece of ass is fine if someone is stationed in a hole country? Don't act like loser servicemen don't bring themselves a wife from third world countries like the Philippines and Thailand. Funny thing though, Philippinas and Thai brides greatly outnumber the amount of German, and Japanese women married to American servicemen because German and Japan are not hole countries unlike Thailand and the Philippines.
    You don't mail order from the same country

Dude was an all star athlete, special forces soldier, turned down a baseball contract, basically a stud and he had a son who destroyed white man's image of golf as an elite sport for the Aryan race. Pretty sure getting pussy wasn't a problem for him.

Phillippinas? Isn't that a book in the New Testament?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Mickelson is a charisma vacuum and he makes more than Ronaldo.
    How exactly did you come up with such an inaccurate statement?

According to Forbes, in 2018 Mickelson didn't even crack the top 20, Tiger is #16, then you have 3 soccer players in the top 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How exactly did you come up with such an inaccurate statement?

According to Forbes, in 2018 Mickelson didn't even crack the top 20, Tiger is #16, then you have 3 soccer players in the top 5.
    https://www.thewealthrecord.com/arti...es-world-2019/

Mickle s is nearly a billionaire. naldo hasn't even cracked half-a-bil. Perhaps Ronaldo eclipses his net worth by the same age, but I wouldn't count on it. Golf endorsements are simply insane, since they're typically luxury goods that golf's consumer base buys. Soccer endorsements are, what, companies that manufacture malaria nets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it takes these kind of transcendent athletes (or like elnono said, guys with the media hype machine) to make these "sports" remotely marketable to the average sports fan. i'm sure there are swimming die hards, but the average person didnt give a about swimming for a while until phelps. the average person didnt give a about track until usain bolt. tiger gets casual sports fans to tune into golf every once in a while.
    Thing is golf was never supported by a group of niche diehards until "Tiger brought the sport into the mainstream!" It's always been either the 5th or 6th most popular sport here, switching places with Tennis depending on whether or not there's a strong US men's field. Sure, Tiger bumped up the ratings in his prime by 20 or so percent, but golf didn't need/doesn't need Tiger to keep relevant. Its huge player base keeps it relevant. In any event, the Tiger effect is overrated. Yesterday's broadcast didn't even beat last year's Sunday final. https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...ng-overnights/

Sure, ratings were affected by an earlier start time, but Tiger doesn't draw in as many casuals, i.e. First Take and Cowherd followers who think Lebron and the NFL are the only interesting things in American sports, as perceived.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Duke, Trump, Europe

What else do you have that's White

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thing is golf was never supported by a group of niche diehards until "Tiger brought the sport into the mainstream!" It's always been either the 5th or 6th most popular sport here, switching places with Tennis depending on whether or not there's a strong US men's field. Sure, Tiger bumped up the ratings in his prime by 20 or so percent, but golf didn't need/doesn't need Tiger to keep relevant. Its huge player base keeps it relevant. In any event, the Tiger effect is overrated. Yesterday's broadcast didn't even beat last year's Sunday final. https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...ng-overnights/

Sure, ratings were affected by an earlier start time, but Tiger doesn't draw in as many casuals, i.e. First Take and Cowherd followers who think Lebron and the NFL are the only interesting things in American sports, as perceived.
    "5th or 6" is peanuts. in the US, we have the big 4, and everything else.

the earlier start time is a huge deal. it was 6am western, and your own article says it set a record for morning broadcast

thats the tiger effect. he draws in casuals that otherwise wouldnt give a about golf.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duke, Trump, Europe

What else do you have that's White
    Frank Black

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "5th or 6" is peanuts. in the US, we have the big 4, and everything else.

the earlier start time is a huge deal. it was 6am western, and your own article says it set a record for morning broadcast

thats the tiger effect. he draws in casuals that otherwise wouldnt give a about golf.
    I don't deny Tiger provides a ratings bump, but the perception is that golf would be on the level of bowling if not for Tiger. Majors always do ratings in the range of 8.0-12.0, before, during, and after Tiger.

Thread Information