Page 47 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1624
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am hoping that the disappearance of Primo's shooting percentage is because of a reworking of the shot mechanics and will come around. It is unnerving to see a guy who walked in and the one thing he showed was the ability to hit the three at a decent percentage to all of a sudden look like Drewbanks trying to shoot threes.
    Don’t forget the part of him becoming more well rounded / complete. Demar Derozan spoke of this also while in San Antonio.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is trading a top five pick for Primo. Once you are in the NBA and the promise you showed before isn’t evident, then you are one of many players still trying to break in, and your value goes downhill to other teams. The guy is too young to give up on, but it’s different when we are talking you have to give up something for him. BTW next season he has to show something, some improvement or his value will go down even further. He would still be very young but a lot of youngins don’t cut it in the NBA if they can’t improve.
    True story

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's make it more interesting: the Pistons have the 3rd pick in the draft. Chet goes #1. The Pistons call and say they'll trade the #3 and Isaiah Livers for Primo and KJ and the Spurs' pick. Would you do it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t forget the part of him becoming more well rounded / complete. Demar Derozan spoke of this also while in San Antonio.
    I'm gonna have serious respect for your determination to make him into something he doesn't seem to have of he ends up showing out.

You seem to think he's still just one small leap from s om. I think he's one giant leap from being Danny Green, or Danny Green's best season +.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm gonna have serious respect for your determination to make him into something he doesn't seem to have of he ends up showing out.

You seem to think he's still just one small leap from s om. I think he's one giant leap from being Danny Green, or Danny Green's best season +.
    Lol, appreciate you! I just want to give the kid a fair shake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Venn diagram of posters slagging Primo and posters knob slobbering Sharpe is one circle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte looked better than Primo as a rookie. He had very shaky handles and was so skinny that the smallest contact in a drive affected his efficiency bc he was off balance. He was too thin to finish against NBA athletes at the time, but he was super quick, turning a corner on someone with ease if his handle wasn’t pressed, and he had a few games where he looked really good. Primo hasn’t looked like DJ.

He’s too young to condemn, true but he also hasn’t given enough to be excited about. I would be underwhelmed by a 3/D outcome from him because there were better players in that mold in the draft already producing so I hope he turns out better than that. He’s got a lot to work on, but I’d focus on him getting his shooting back and adding the ballhandling as a complement to start with. I think his shooting opens up the game offensively for him, without it he won’t be as effective. I’d argue that hIs shot disappearing is making him look worse than he is and affected his overall game but we’ll see.

Jesus I don’t even know where to start with this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus I don’t even know where to start with this
    How about with some counterfactuals?

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had a look at some mocks from 2021.

CBS had Primo going 32.

“Knicks go youth here and grab Joshua Primo, the youngest prospect in the draft, who at 18 years old can really stroke it from deep and who made a strong impression at the draft combine with his ability to handle the ball and create off the bounce.”

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...m-at-no-1/amp/

Another mock at NBA draft room had Primo at 35.

Not sayin it means anything just interesting. He must have impressed the Spurs at the combine workouts and Spurs may have thought other teams would have liked what they saw too. Plus his age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

CBS had Primo going 32.

“Knicks go youth here and grab Joshua Primo, the youngest prospect in the draft, who at 18 years old can really stroke it from deep and who made a strong impression at the draft combine with his ability to handle the ball and create off the bounce.”

Not sayin it means anything just interesting. He must have impressed the Spurs at the combine workouts and Spurs may have thought other teams would have liked what they saw too. Plus his age.
    PATFO saw some nephew comparisons and thought they were drafting the next steal, imo. I think they thought if they could just get his handles up to par, he could run the point on occasion like neph does. I think they saw a potential defensive stud. A lights out 3 pt shooter already superior to neph at the same stage.

When in reality, everyone and their mother was almost immediately awed by neph's potential and very few people are in awe of the season Primo just put up. How could you when literally only 2 NBA players had a worse season by PER.

Primo should not be compared to anyone but himself at this point. His shooting stroke is under reconstruction. His defense got him shipped down to Austin on at least one occasion. His turnover percentage is horrendous. And his lack of explosive ability will greatly limit his ability to work his way into the paint for easy buckets.

So in reality, as much as I hate to say it, he's likely not gonna sniff neph's jock strap on upside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

CBS had Primo going 32.

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Mock drafts were very slow to pick up on interest some teams had in him. He was going up on their boards but weren't exactly blabbing about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PATFO saw some nephew comparisons and thought they were drafting the next steal, imo. I think they thought if they could just get his handles up to par, he could run the point on occasion like neph does. I think they saw a potential defensive stud. A lights out 3 pt shooter already superior to neph at the same stage.

When in reality, everyone and their mother was almost immediately awed by neph's potential and very few people are in awe of the season Primo just put up. How could you when literally only 2 NBA players had a worse season by PER.

Primo should not be compared to anyone but himself at this point. His shooting stroke is under reconstruction. His defense got him shipped down to Austin on at least one occasion. His turnover percentage is horrendous. And his lack of explosive ability will greatly limit his ability to work his way into the paint for easy buckets.

So in reality, as much as I hate to say it, he's likely not gonna sniff neph's jock strap on upside.
    Let’s not revise history TOO much. Rookie Kawhi averaged 7.9p/5.1r in 24 minutes, and basically sat in the corner on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo I still can see developing into a fine player but I'm definitely on the camp that he is a second rounder. I'm not saying he won't be great at all but maybe we need to keep our expectations at that level in hopes that he overachieves those expectations.

He's not a wasted pick by any means but I think Spurs FO dropped the ball and missed a big opportunity with the lottery pick had they saved Primo for their second round choice especially with so many top prospects that were still on deck.

To think Spurs could of had both Primo and Trey Murphy, or Hubert Jones, Sengun ect..as the list goes on
    Last edited by Chomag; 04-23-2022 at 08:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Let’s not revise history TOO much. Rookie Kawhi averaged 7.9p/5.1r in 24 minutes, and basically sat in the corner on offense.
    Everyone was so in awe of Nephews talent he was drafted 15th
    4 players drafted ahead of him are not even in the NBA.
    Even in 2014 it wasn't until late in the year and playoffs did it become apparent that he was more than just a really great defensive player.
    That season he scored over 20 points in only 3 regular season games and in the playoffs he had 7 out of 23 games with 10 or less points.
    He Manu where essentially tied for 3rd leading scorer in the playoffs.

I'm not sure what PATFO saw in Primo and possibly other teams. His lack of explosiveness is quite obvious and even listed in several evals- so I'm fairly certain they knew this as a limitation.
    Historically the Spurs have always been really good at letting players be who they are not trying to mold them into a past player, so I doubt they saw a future Nephew in him.
    I'm concerned, but almost certainly they knew these limitations and saw something in him.

Lacks the type of ball-on-a-string handle and explosive first step found in players with go-to scoring upside. He projects more as a complementary player.

Below-the-rim athlete who struggles to finish around the hoop. He displays touch on crafty right-handed layups but avoids contact and lacks a reliable left hand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All true, but each one of the fans watching those games had wood on what he was gonna be capable of, especially defensively. I remember one steal and one handed claw jam, think against Indiana that sent the message boards ablaze.

He just had a different swag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone was so in awe of Nephews talent he was drafted 15th
    4 players drafted ahead of him are not even in the NBA.
    Even in 2014 it wasn't until late in the year and playoffs did it become apparent that he was more than just a really great defensive player.
    That season he scored over 20 points in only 3 regular season games and in the playoffs he had 7 out of 23 games with 10 or less points.
    He Manu where essentially tied for 3rd leading scorer in the playoffs.

I'm not sure what PATFO saw in Primo and possibly other teams. His lack of explosiveness is quite obvious and even listed in several evals- so I'm fairly certain they knew this as a limitation.
    Historically the Spurs have always been really good at letting players be who they are not trying to mold them into a past player, so I doubt they saw a future Nephew in him.
    I'm concerned, but almost certainly they knew these limitations and saw something in him.

Lacks the type of ball-on-a-string handle and explosive first step found in players with go-to scoring upside. He projects more as a complementary player.

Below-the-rim athlete who struggles to finish around the hoop. He displays touch on crafty right-handed layups but avoids contact and lacks a reliable left hand.
    Again, not based on scouting reports, nor even to exststic's point about production. It was on the eye test, and he was passing it nightly.

Now, the one thing I'll say that counters my point is that PATFO, mainly Pop in this case, were and are singing their respective cases about their potential. So if you take Pop's view on Primo, he'll be special. But that might just be Pop getting over his skiis in search of the next nephew that broke his (and our collective) heart

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, not based on scouting reports, nor even to exststic's point about production. It was on the eye test, and he was passing it nightly.

Now, the one thing I'll say that counters my point is that PATFO, mainly Pop in this case, were and are singing their respective cases about their potential. So if you take Pop's view on Primo, he'll be special. But that might just be Pop getting over his skiis in search of the next nephew that broke his (and our collective) heart
    What have a missed Pop hasn’t said much about Primo other than he is young and has lots to learn. By DJ and Kahwhi’s second year Pop was raving about them so we shall see I guess.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop usually prop up our players in the media, whether he really means it or not is another thing. He compares Forbes to Curry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All true, but each one of the fans watching those games had wood on what he was gonna be capable of, especially defensively. I remember one steal and one handed claw jam, think against Indiana that sent the message boards ablaze.

He just had a different swag.
    As a rookie he rebounded like a maniac

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo is the youngest player in the nba and some in this thread are already writing his career arc

How about we find out what position he is supposed to play first before we wax poetic on his 10 year career

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi's raw stats were modest in his rookie year, but his impact stats were already off the charts... he had the 2nd best DRtg on the team after Timmy, and his ORtg was the best among starters. His net rating was +18, the best on a team that was about to go to the finals in the following two years. Primo's net rating this year was -19, dead last on the team. Yes, Primo is younger, but there's no way his rookie year can be compared to Kawhi's. There was no question that Kawhi would be an impact player after his first few months.

People were already marveling at Kawhi's defense as a rookie:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ive-role-model
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 04-23-2022 at 11:47 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kawhi= 2 yrs in college including a year as team #1, nba ready body, playing with HOF talent, greatly exceeded expectations, played on a team with length
    Primo = 1 yr college backup, still growing, playing with lottery talent, has made uneven progress, playing with midgets

dont compare primo to HOF talent form the draft but the average player in his position. the sengun sickos have the best argument that he was a reach. but i don't like comparing different positions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What have a missed Pop hasn’t said much about Primo other than he is young and has lots to learn. By DJ and Kahwhi’s second year Pop was raving about them so we shall see I guess.
    https://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...o-17015360.php

“He’s going to be a of a player,” the coach said. “He’s just realizing what it’s like to play with me. He’s basically a high school kid. The physicality of the game is something he’s getting used to, the tenacity.”
    Popovich loves how Primo never hangs his head.
    “His demeanor is just like this,” Popovich said, using a hand gesture signaling even keel. “Mistakes don’t bother him. He just goes on to the next play. He’s a special kid.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kawhi= 2 yrs in college including a year as team #1, nba ready body, playing with HOF talent, greatly exceeded expectations, played on a team with length
    Primo = 1 yr college backup, still growing, playing with lottery talent, has made uneven progress, playing with midgets

dont compare primo to HOF talent form the draft but the average player in his position. the sengun sickos have the best argument that he was a reach. but i don't like comparing different positions

I was only replying to others making that comparison. I'm on record many times saying it's too early to judge.

Though, tbh, the "playing with HOF talent" is important. Kawhi's impact stats were great compared to his own teammates... not in a vacuum or compared to players on other teams.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 04-23-2022 at 12:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some suit from CBS said primo was going in the second round, pack it up boys. discussion over.

Thread Information