Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Equating the balance of left and right through what foot they use.

What an ignorant post.

Ph but hes a left hander and that guy is a right hander...strategy
    You're dumb.

I know soccer players have to "develop" a left or right foot, much like a basketball player has to develop an off hand.

You can't just "develop" your off arm to throw 95mph with elite accuracy. Physiologically impossible. And if you're not ambidextrous from birth, you can't just "develop" into a switch hitter.

Take the Pepsi Challenge, PokeMaster.

Tell me how to pitch to Trout and what kind of players you build around him in the lineup? Tell me where to shift on Trout, or if a shift should be used at all. No googling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're dumb.

I know soccer players have to "develop" a left or right foot, much like a basketball player has to develop an off hand.

You can't just "develop" your off arm to throw 95mph with elite accuracy. Physiologically impossible. And if you're not ambidextrous from birth, you can't just "develop" into a switch hitter.

Take the Pepsi Challenge, PokeMaster.

Tell me how to pitch to Trout and what kind of players you build around him in the lineup? Tell me where to shift on Trout, or if a shift should be used at all. No googling.
    This thread is about tactic and strategy. Left and right strategy in soccer is all about left and right positioning..when you're trying to sell whatever dominant part of the body is, then thats proff how there is zero strategy inovoled in badeball.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol so fatbol players only know how to use one hand to play?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Irs tactics bro..

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Basketball version of fatbol players:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is about tactic and strategy. Left and right strategy in soccer is all about left and right positioning..when you're trying to sell whatever dominant part of the body is, then thats proff how there is zero strategy inovoled in badeball.
    Indeed.

If there's no tactics and strategy in baseball, you should have no problem telling me from that simple video clip of Trout what tactical approach to take vs. him.

No googling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The sport often compared to "chess" (American football) is primarily based on guessing games (most strategy games actually are). And the way great coaches and players maximize their chances of "guessing right" is by studying hours and hours of film looking for patterns, tendencies, etc. See Malcolm Butler's interception in the Superbowl for example.

Think of a fastball as the "passing game" and off-speed as the "running game."

And just like you can have multiple variations of passing and running plays, you can multiple variations of fastballs and off-speed pitches.
    Just no. No way did you just try to compare the guessing element in beisbol to that of football. There is no guessing involved in making an open field tackle, running stride for stride with a receiver, reading a defense, making a throw, running a good route, a RBs vision on a run, etc, etc. Football is for the most part about physical ability/skill/making good decisions.

I know there are other elements to baseball, like defense, that don't involve guessing. Hitting though, which is a huge part of the game does. I'm not saying it's easy just don't make it sound like it's super complex. It's not. It's a guessing game. You don't see soccer fans glorifying a penalty kick save by a goalie. We realize it's mostly a matter of luck since human reflexes aren't fast enough to react to a well hit penalty. Same with a pitch that has some heat behind it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet you could not score 1-1 in 1000 tries against any professional basketball player
    I bet you could not stop a penalty kick in 1000 tries against any professional football player
    I bet you could not catch an in-game slant in 1000 tries thrown by any professional quarterback
    I played three sports all the way through school. Quarterback. Pitcher/shortstop. And SF

And I played soccer until 10th. Wing and goalie

You'd be wrong about your guess of my athletic abilities.

I threw 90.
    I routinely was my team's best shooter...we had a challenge everyday at the end of practice
    I could throw a ball 68 yards in the air.

Baseball is the most skillful sport.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Comparing trying to hit a 98mph fastest and 90mph sliders to dribbling a basketball or kickball.

If hitting a baseball is, indeed, the hardest skill in sports, then why double it by switch-hitting? Red Sox manager Terry Francona, a left-handed hitter, was asked if he ever tried switch-hitting. "No way!'' he said. "I had enough trouble hitting from one side. Why try two?''
    Maybe the lesson here is that it's not so great to be a switch-hitter. It may help you make a club, it helps your versatility and it looks good on your résumé, but maybe it doesn't make you a much better hitter. But, for most switch-hitters, it's too late to give it up, as Snow did. Orioles catcher Matt Wieters has been switch-hitting since he was 5 years old. "And now,'' he said, "I have no interest in seeing the slider coming right at me.''
    Floppytrot crew just can't stop being re ed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I played three sports all the way through school. Quarterback. Pitcher/shortstop. And SF

And I played soccer until 10th. Wing and goalie

You'd be wrong about your guess of my athletic abilities.

I threw 90.
    I routinely was my team's best shooter...we had a challenge everyday at the end of practice
    I could throw a ball 68 yards in the air.

Baseball is the most skillful sport.
    Sup, mid?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Imma be me.

We just happen to agree on this. Probably has something to do with us being educated, smarter than the dumb s like apo and the others.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Comparing trying to hit a 98mph fastest and 90mph sliders to dribbling a basketball or kickball.

Floppytrot crew just can't stop being re ed
    Says who? Wait, let me guess...a fatbol analyst! Sounds like a completely unbiased opinion.

Yeah, that'll show us

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just no. No way did you just try to compare the guessing element in beisbol to that of football. There is no guessing involved in making an open field tackle, running stride for stride with a receiver, reading a defense, making a throw, running a good route, a RBs vision on a run, etc, etc. Football is for the most part about physical ability/skill/making good decisions.

I know there are other elements to baseball, like defense, that doesn't involve guessing. Hitting though, which is a huge part of the game does. I'm not saying it's easy just don't make it sound like it's super complex. It's not. It's a guessing game. You don't see soccer fans glorifying a penalty kick save by a goalie. We realize it's mostly a matter of luck since human reflexes aren't fast enough to react to a well hit penalty. Same with a pitch that has some heat behind it.
    Don't bring in open field tackles and the like into it. I'm talking about pre-snap events, and they are totally a guessing game.

Reading a defense (pre snap) is totally a guessing game, because defenses camouflage schemes in order to bait the offense into doing something disadvantageous. From film study, the QB might know that the when the defense is an a certain formation and position, 60% of the time they're coming with the blitz, 20% of the time they fall into a cover 2 zone, and 20% of the time they fall into a cover 2 zone but send the right CB on a blitz.

The same dynamic applies in the pitcher vs. batter matchup.

"Okay. 0-1 count. I know this pitcher throws an inside cutter in the bottom of the zone 30% of the time vs. right handed hitters. 40% of the time he throws a 4 seam fastball in the upper right part of the zone. 30% of the time he throws a slider that breaks out of the zone. But he also knows that I'm a weak hitter on balls in the upper part of the zone, so I think he's going to challenge me there."

And then pitcher, knowing what the batter knows, might "audible" and throw a fastball to the hitter's hot zone because he figured the hitter might be expecting a 4 seamer in the upper part of the zone.

You really need to study at bats more carefully, research batter and pitcher tendencies, and you'll see this "tactical battle" unfold. But I understand baseball doesn't have cute looking diagrams like this and formations, so thus it's not "tactical."

And there's no guessing game in making good throws in baseball, making good catches, being a good base runner, knowing when to hit and run, bunt, and having solid swing and pitching mechanics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Imma be me.

We just happen to agree on this. Probably has something to do with us being educated, smarter than the dumb s like apo and the others.
    FKLA is my bro, but he once claimed he could easily throw out MLB runners from the short stop position

This was before the smartphone era, but luckily everyone has them now, and we can challenge people to prove their claims.

So if you still want to claim that, FKLA. Fire up the smartphone video, if you have a big yard, great. Map out a distance of 110 feet, setup a target (your first baseman) like a trash can and hit that target at a .950 rate (let's give you 100 throws).

Oh yeah, the ball has to get there in under a second.

Apa, 140, and Kawhitstorm can try this challenge, as well.

"I-I'm not in shape or practiced enough to do that!"

But I thought baseball was for fatties and easy for anyone to do?

Pick a lane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't bring in open field tackles and the like into it. I'm talking about pre-snap events, and they are totally a guessing game.

Reading a defense (pre snap) is totally a guessing game, because defenses camouflage schemes in order to bait the offense into doing something disadvantageous. From film study, the QB might know that the when the defense is an a certain formation and position, 60% of the time they're coming with the blitz, 20% of the time they fall into a cover 2 zone, and 20% of the time they fall into a cover 2 zone but send the right CB on a blitz.

The same dynamic applies in the pitcher vs. batter matchup.

"Okay. 0-1 count. I know this pitcher throws an inside cutter in the bottom of the zone 30% of the time vs. right handed hitters. 40% of the time he throws a 4 seam fastball in the upper right part of the zone. 30% of the time he throws a slider that breaks out of the zone. But he also knows that I'm a weak hitter on balls in the upper part of the zone, so I think he's going to challenge me there."

And then pitcher, knowing what the batter knows, might "audible" and throw a fastball to the hitter's hot zone because he figured the hitter might be expecting a 4 seamer in the upper part of the zone.

You really need to study at bats more carefully, research batter and pitcher tendencies, and you'll see this "tactical battle" unfold. But I understand baseball doesn't have cute looking diagrams like this and formations, so thus it's not "tactical."

And there's no guessing game in making good throws in baseball, making good catches, being a good base runner, knowing when to hit and run, bunt, and having solid swing and pitching mechanics.
    Nah you're mistaking anticipation/preparation with guessing. QBs don't typically make throws based on their pre-snap read. They can adjust if defenses fall back into something other than what they read pre-snap. Hitters in baseball don't have that option. A goalie during a penalty kick is much more comparable. Both penalty kick saves and hits are largely based on luck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah you're mistaking anticipation/preparation with guessing. QBs don't typically make throws based on their pre-snap read. They can adjust if defenses fall back into something other than what they read pre-snap. Hitters in baseball don't have that option. A goalie during a penalty kick is much more comparable. It's based on luck.
    That's exactly what hitters do

They can adjust
    Again, proving you know jack .

Comparing the reaction time demands between soccer goalies and baseball players is re ed. A penalty kick distance is 36 in' feet. Penalty shots are often in the 75-80mph range. It's been proven that human reaction times aren't fast enough to cover the entire goal. And you can't even do preparation in this case, because all a penalty kicker needs to do is a flip a coin prior to decide for him where to kick.

In baseball, you do have enough time to judge the pitch and make a conscious decision. It's on the bleeding edge of human ability, but it's there.

The "adjustment" in this case is picking up spin and arm angles. Maybe the hitter was expecting a slider, but the spin tells him it's a 2 seam fastball. And pitchers can often tip pitches by certain physical tells, the most telling being arm angle delivery which is why pitchers work constantly to deliver a fastball and their off-speed pitches from the exact same arm angle every time.

They can see that ^^^

You think it's down to "luck," because you once went to the batting cages and everything looked the same and you just swung randomly. These guys have trained their entire lives to be hitters, have 20/10 vision on average, and well above average reaction times. I could never do it, as much as I wanted to, and moved on to a much easier sport like basketball.

https://sciencenonfiction.org/2016/0...ick-reactions/

"Luck."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link to any base coach that has died? Why doesn't the pitcher wear one, they get hit more often than base coaches?

So I guess basketball should allow coaches under the rim so they can instruct players what's behind them

I'll grant you this at the pro level. Though at 12 years old I was hitting out of the 80mph cages.
    even a ball off the bat of a LL player can do it. Some people are saying it will only happen after a pitcher dies.

I can tell you as a former pitcher, you get hit occasionally. And it's scary as , but you have so little time to react. I shattered a finger trying to catch one comibg back up the middle. A friend of mine got hit in the head and immediately fell to the ground like a lump of clay, and startedconvulsing.

http://espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/story?id=2945798

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1947748

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's exactly what hitters do

Again, proving you know jack .

Comparing the reaction time demands between soccer goalies and baseball players is re ed. A penalty kick distance is 36 in' feet. Penalty shots are often in the 75-80mph range. It's been proven that human reaction times aren't fast enough to cover the entire goal. And you can't even do preparation in this case, because all a penalty kicker needs to do is a flip a coin prior to decide for him where to kick.

In baseball, you do have enough time to judge the pitch and make a conscious decision. It's on the bleeding edge of human ability, but it's there.

The "adjustment" in this case is picking up spin and arm angles. Maybe the hitter was expecting a slider, but the spin tells him it's a 2 seam fastball. And pitchers can often tip pitches by certain physical tells, the most telling being arm angle delivery which is why pitchers work constantly to deliver a fastball and their off-speed pitches from the exact same arm angle every time.

They can see that ^^^

You think it's down to "luck," because you once went to the batting cages and everything looked the same and you just swung randomly. These guys have trained their entire lives to be hitters, have 20/10 vision on average, and well above average reaction times. I could never do it, as much as I wanted to, and moved on to a much easier sport like basketball.

https://sciencenonfiction.org/2016/0...ick-reactions/

"Luck."
    You can try to make it as complex as you want. It's really not. It's not comparable to reading defenses in football at all. QBs can adjust because they have time to see the play develop and notice that their pre-snap read was off. Beisbol doesn't have that. Studying the spin and arm angle can make it a better guess but it's a guess nonetheless. A 30% success rate is considered exceptional. There's countless examples of hitters being way in front of pitches because they guessed wrong.

Again, I'm not trying to knock how hard it is to hit a baseball. Just don't go all sports science bc at the end of the day a lot of it just comes down to guessing correctly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FKLA is my bro, but he once claimed he could easily throw out MLB runners from the short stop position

This was before the smartphone era, but luckily everyone has them now, and we can challenge people to prove their claims.

So if you still want to claim that, FKLA. Fire up the smartphone video, if you have a big yard, great. Map out a distance of 110 feet, setup a target (your first baseman) like a trash can and hit that target at a .950 rate (let's give you 100 throws).

Oh yeah, the ball has to get there in under a second.

Apa, 140, and Kawhitstorm can try this challenge, as well.

"I-I'm not in shape or practiced enough to do that!"

But I thought baseball was for fatties and easy for anyone to do?

Pick a lane.
    You have a noodle arm or something? Throwing a baseball hard isn't difficult. As far as accuracy, the average first baseman is over 6 ft tall with a pretty large wingspan so it's not like I'd be throwing into a small pocket. I'm obviously not saying I could field anywhere near as well as an MLB shortstop....but as far as just the throw itself goes I'd easily hit a .950 rate tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have a noodle arm or something? Throwing a baseball hard isn't difficult. As far as accuracy, the average first baseman is over 6 ft tall with a pretty large wingspan so it's not like I'd be throwing into a small pocket. I'm obviously not saying I could field anywhere near as well as an MLB shortstop....but as far as just the throw itself goes I'd easily hit a .950 rate tbh.
    Considering the average fatballer is 6'1" 223, I'd imagine one of the fattest positions averages 6'0" 275 or so. HUGE target. Just gotta make sure he's ready for the ball and not picking fried chicken wings out of his pocket.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fire up the smartphone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can try to make it as complex as you want. It's really not. It's not comparable to reading defenses in football at all. QBs can adjust because they have time to see the play develop and notice that their pre-snap read was off. Beisbol doesn't have that. Studying the spin and arm angle can make it a better guess but it's a guess nonetheless. A 30% success rate is considered exceptional. There's countless examples of hitters being way in front of pitches because they guessed wrong.

Again, I'm not trying to knock how hard it is to hit a baseball. Just don't go all sports science bc at the end of the day a lot of it just comes down to guessing correctly.
    No it doesn't but keep thinking that. I've actually proven my case here while you make handwavey arguments with nothing behind them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering the average fatballer is 6'1" 223, I'd imagine one of the fattest positions averages 6'0" 275 or so. HUGE target. Just gotta make sure he's ready for the ball and not picking fried chicken wings out of his pocket.
    That diet helps baseball players run faster and jump higher than povertyball players.

Ronaldo dunking on an 8 foot goal

Your soccer heroes are athletes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fire up the smartphone.
    I probably will sometime. Won't do 100 throws but I'll do 10/10 which should be enough to prove my point tbh.

No it doesn't but keep thinking that. I've actually proven my case here while you make handwavey arguments with nothing behind them.
    You've proven that hitters study arm angles and the spin of the ball to make better guesses. Nothing else.

You've also talked about the fact that fatball players have only a split second to read a pitch in a positive light then turned around and ridiculously tried to compare it to QBs reading defenses. QBs have multiple second to make reads. I think it's safe to say they are making much more conscious decisions than fatball players.

Thread Information