Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's not even the all time best french player.
    agree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still take Zidane and Ronaldo before Messi in my team for a WC. Nevertheless I would listen arguments of someone picking otherwise now I would just laugh at someone picking Messi over Maradona.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thank you.

In reality I don't know if I'm not totally biaised on Platini / Zidane. Platini was just a god for me at that time surely like DAF for Messi. I'm pretty sure I would have argued in favor of Platini being the GOAT back in my young days which is pretty stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still take Zidane and Ronaldo before Messi in my team for a WC.
    Why? What changes between a WC game and a CL game or any other game between profesionals?

Nevertheless I would listen arguments of someone picking otherwise now I would just laugh at someone picking Messi over Maradona.
    Why? What did Maradona do better than Messi that was so laughably better?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? What changes between a WC game and a CL game or any other game between profesionals?
    What changes ? really ?

I just pick the safest choices Ronaldo and Zidane have proven they can lead and carry a squad to the highest level, for the moment messi not.

you never saw maradona, I did and trust me picking messi over maradona would be laughable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What changes ? really ?

I just pick the safest choices Ronaldo and Zidane have proven they can lead and carry a squad to the highest level, for the moment messi not.
    Yes, what changes between a WC game and a CL final?

BTW, CL level > WC level

you never saw maradona, I did and trust me picking messi over maradona would be laughable
    So did many others that pick Messi over Maradona. If it were so laughable to pick Messi over Maradona for people that saw both I doubt there would be so many people that dare to pick a 24 year old over a guy who his career is over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's not even the all time best french player.
    speaking about Platini, you remember that quote ? What Zidane can do with a football, Maradona can do with an orange.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good thing for Zidane that this sport is played with a football then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, what changes between a WC game and a CL final?

BTW, CL level > WC level
    I mean seriously you are comparing a CL to a WC ? you play the CL every year when you play for a big club. In his career a player can play 10 or 15 CL, a player is lucky when he can be part of 2 / 3 WC. Oh and don't come with the level story, the WC is just the most important sport event in the world. It is like the guys saying the euro cup is more difficult than a WC.

So did many others that pick Messi over Maradona. If it were so laughable to pick Messi over Maradona for people that saw both I doubt there would be so many people that dare to pick a 24 year old over a guy who his career is over.
    In two or three years the same guys will say the same for another young genius. You pick nobody except maybe Pele over 86 maradona.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking about Zidane...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean seriously you are comparing a CL to a WC ? you play the CL every year when you play for a big club. In his career a player can play 10 or 15 CL, a player is lucky when he can be part of 2 / 3 WC. Oh and don't come with the level story, the WC is just the most important sport event in the world. It is like the guys saying the euro cup is more difficult than a WC.
    I agree that the WC is the most important sport event in the World but that doesn't negate the fact that the CL has more level than the WC, there's more talent all across the field and the teams are better prepared. And no, it's not the same to say that the Euro is more difficult than the WC 'cause the Euro is the WC minus the teams from the rest of the World, therefore it can never be more difficult/better than the WC. The CL has all the players that play in a WC and more, besides they are all put toghether in stacked teams with a lot of time to work toghether.

In two or three years the same guys will say the same for another young genius. You pick nobody except maybe Pele over 86 maradona.
    I never heard somebody of notice say that Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho or any player you choose was better than Maradona/Pele untill Messi came along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    speaking about Platini, you remember that quote ? What Zidane can do with a football, Maradona can do with an orange.

Bobby Charlton "What a playmaker. He could thread the ball through the eye of a needle as well as finish."

For me, he at least top 5 of all time behind Pele, maradona, cruijff and the kaiser.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm tempted to continue, but there is no point when DAF doesnt listen, spins and repeats himself. like i said before, out of control.

serious doubts

isn't that enough for you people
    the kid has serious doubts anyone before or after could be as good as messi, if that doesn't settle it...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line is: What we see in Messi today, we have already seen it in Maradona 30 years ago.
    They are comparable players in frame, ability to play soccer.
    Maradona was "Messi + leadership".

Perfect example: People compare Diego`s goal vs England to Messi`s goal vs Getafe.
    Do you note the difference?
    Similar goal, comparable dribbling ability with the ball. Both great goals.
    But one of those was in a WC, and the other vs a below average team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm tempted to continue, but there is no point when DAF doesnt listen, spins and repeats himself. like i said before, out of control.

serious doubts

isn't that enough for you people
    the kid has serious doubts anyone before or after could be as good as messi, if that doesn't settle it...
    I don't doubt someone could be as good as Messi or better what I seriously doubt is that someone could have been "laughably better" or "16 times better" than Messi like some have claimed but please by all means continue I've yet to see a good point as to why Maradona was so much better than Messi.

And please show me examples of where have I didn't listen, spin stuff and all those things you say. BTW what's wrong with repeating yourself, that means that you don't change your opinion and if I had repeated myself is 'cause some (like you in this case) have missunderstood what I said in earlier statements.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line is: What we see in Messi today, we have already seen it in Maradona 30 years ago.
    They are comparable players in frame, ability to play soccer.
    Maradona was "Messi + leadership".

Perfect example: People compare Diego`s goal vs England to Messi`s goal vs Getafe.
    Do you note the difference?
    Similar goal, comparable dribbling ability with the ball. Both great goals.
    But one of those was in a WC, and the other vs a below average team.
    Yes, 'cause when talking about those players one goal tells the whole story.

I also remember Messi's slalom goal vs Madrid in the CL, the chest goal he scored in overtime against Estudiantes in the Club's World final, the two goals against Manchester in the CL finals and the hat trick in El Clasico at age 19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    club play = regular season

world cup = playoffs

he won a world cup for his country. and close to winning a 2nd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    club play = regular season

world cup = playoffs
    This isn't the NBA, that's a stupid analogy.

he won a world cup for his country. and close to winning a 2nd.
    In football you win les as a team. According to what most people say Maradona in '86 had the greatest individual performance ever by a player in a WC but it's still a teams' sport, Maradona in most others teams of that WC wouldn't have won the le, he would have made them better no doubt but it wouldn't have been enough to win.

In 1990 Maradona wasn't even the best player on the team, Caniggia was.

And an interesting fact for everybody that says that Messi doesn't perform well with Argentina. At age 24 Messi already has 20 goals with the national squad tied for 9th in the all time list with Mario Kempes (an Argentine NT hero), only 14 behind Maradona and 36 behind the leader Batistuta. Barring any career end injury (knocking on wood) is a given that he will surprass Maradona and he has a lot of chances of ending up as the all-time leader in scores with the NT.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selecci...mos_goleadores
    Last edited by DAF86; 10-17-2011 at 11:19 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this thread is starting to become like the goat list on realgm...overrating players from different eras and not giving the new guys any chance...hence some new guys are overrated as well...

pele and maradona are like comparing russell and wilt...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't the NBA, that's a stupid analogy.

In football you win les as a team. According to what most people say Maradona in '86 had the greatest individual performance ever by a player in a WC but it's still a teams' sport, Maradona in most others teams of that WC wouldn't have won the le, he would have made them better no doubt but it wouldn't have been enough to win.

In 1990 Maradona wasn't even the best player on the team, Caniggia was.

And an interesting fact for everybody that says that Messi doesn't perform well with Argentina. At age 24 Messi already has 20 goals with the national squad tied for 9th in the all time list with Mario Kempes (an Argentine NT hero), only 14 behind Maradona and 36 behind the leader Batistuta. Barring any career end injury (knocking on wood) is a given that he will surprass Maradona and he has a lot of chances of ending up as the all-time leader in scores with the NT.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selecci...mos_goleadores
    blah, blah, blah

put a prime Maradona on this argentina team and Argentina s on everyone in the Copa America

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Messi = Kobe, needs HOF players around him to carry him to a le

Maradona = MJ

/thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    blah, blah, blah

put a prime Maradona on this argentina team and Argentina s on everyone in the Copa America
    You mean like that time where Maradona won the Copa America with Argentina right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Messi = Kobe, needs HOF players around him to carry him to a le

Maradona = MJ

/thread
    Except for the fact that Messi's stats are more impressive than Maradona's. Kobe's aren't more impressive than MJ's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was talking about this with a Maradona fan the other day and I kept asking him to tell me why Maradona was so much better than Messi and all he could tell me was that Maradona won a WC to which I replied: "then Pele is three times the player Maradona was", a red face and screams followed.

Thread Information