My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maradonna s on both of them

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ronaldo is hated for being a arrogant, diving, cry baby, ball hog. If messi did the same, he would get the same boos. As for Ronaldo's accomplishments, they are nothing to write home about. He's very lucky he won a single world footballer of the year award, everything else is not very spectacular at all. Is there a single memorable Ronaldo play, by the importance of the match or the spectacle of the play?

For messi I can think of 4 immediately- the flick and finish goal against arsenal in the CL last year, the slalom run against getafe, the slalom run againt RMA last year in the liga (I think messi scored both barca goals that game), the flick over casillas deep in the area (including the defender crashing into the post) a couple years back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, all bull , fact is that there's no rivalry because Messi is just far superior....... Lol pichichi scoring a bunch of goals when the liga was over and Messi was saving his legs to all over Manchester.... Lol penalty kick differential between Barcelona and Real Moudrid in the Ronaldo era 23-8 to Madrid and still losing. Ronaldo is a good player, a real good player, nothing more. Messi in the other hand, will probably be in the top 5 list of players that ever played the game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ronaldo is hated for being a arrogant, diving, cry baby, ball hog. If messi did the same, he would get the same boos. As for Ronaldo's accomplishments, they are nothing to write home about. He's very lucky he won a single world footballer of the year award, everything else is not very spectacular at all. Is there a single memorable Ronaldo play, by the importance of the match or the spectacle of the play?

For messi I can think of 4 immediately- the flick and finish goal against arsenal in the CL last year, the slalom run against getafe, the slalom run againt RMA last year in the liga (I think messi scored both barca goals that game), the flick over casillas deep in the area (including the defender crashing into the post) a couple years back.
    I think that's kind of the point of the article. It doesn't feel like a rivalry because Messi is so likable and Ronaldo is such a prick, and because Ronaldo hasn't been able to get over the Messi hump.

But to say Ronaldo's accomplishments aren't anything write home about is also the point of the article. The guy has won a lot of silverware, the sport is still about team accomplishments, and he was a huge part of those teams.

As for single memorable Ronaldo plays, the only one I can think of is his headed winner versus Barca in Copa del Rey last year.

For context: I like Real more than Barca (not really a fan of either), but I hate Ronaldo and love Messi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ronaldo is damn good, but i think he has either peaked as a player

pichipichi dont mean , if you remove his penalty goals, its probably the same as his highest total for the season at manutd...(at manutd he wasnt even first choice for penalty kicks to pad his goals compared to last season at rma, where penalty kicks he was always first choice...given that he has already scored a goal for the game, he will padd his goals by taking the penalty kick...)

to the clown who says messi is going to be top 5 when its all said and done...lol have to win worldcup man...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ronaldo is damn good, but i think he has either peaked as a player

pichipichi dont mean , if you remove his penalty goals, its probably the same as his highest total for the season at manutd...(at manutd he wasnt even first choice for penalty kicks to pad his goals compared to last season at rma, where penalty kicks he was always first choice...given that he has already scored a goal for the game, he will padd his goals by taking the penalty kick...)

to the clown who says messi is going to be top 5 when its all said and done...lol have to win worldcup man...
    Lol clown???? whats your top5 ever?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol clown???? whats your top5 ever?
    canizares
    mendieta
    abelda
    villa
    silva

bring it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    canizares
    mendieta
    abelda
    villa
    silva

bring it
    10/10 for the originality..... admit it .... dude's is already top 10 all time... and just 24 years old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What rivalry?

thanks for posting

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Messi is overrated, lucky he plays with Xavi who is the beat footballer of the world since 2-3 years! Always a joy to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Xavi, Iniesta, Guardiola, etc are overrated, lucky they play with Messi who is the beat footballer of the world since 2-3 years! Always a joy to watch.
    I totally agree .... ohh... by the way I fixed it for you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maradonna s on both of them
    one lefty post I actually agree with !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not too long ago I heard my favorite sport's journalist Juan Pablo Varsky say that "Messi was the best Maradona everyday", I haven't had the chance to see Maradona play on his prime but if Varsky (a known Maradona fan) says that I bealive him.

People tend to overrate former players and underrate current ones in the all-time great debate. I haven't seen a better player in my lifetime than Messi and I seriously doubt there could have been a player that did what he does with the consistency that he does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cruyff is considered a top 5 player of all-time and he never won a WC.

Besides the WC argument is bull when arguing individuals. The WC is a team's championship that is played one month every four year. You need a whole lot of things working for you to win one, one of those things being luck 'cause many times the WC isn't won by the best team.

Not to mention that the WC isn't the elite tournament in terms of quality, the tournament that gathers the most talent is the Champions League, that is where the truly best compete on a regular basis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About the article, you know there's no debate when in a clear pro-Ronaldo piece you read this "No, he's not as good as Messi".

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course there's a rivalry.. theres just too much hate burning in the Messi riders/Ronaldo haters to admit it. Ronaldo is the only guy in the world who can come close to Messi.. so theres naturally a rivalry but it doesnt mean Messi isnt the superior player.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally agree .... ohh... by the way I fixed it for you
    Last I checked, Xavi just won the world cup... while Messi got his asshole raped 4-0 against Germany. Also shot more times than any other player in the world cup. How many goals did he score by shooting the most of any player in the world cup again? Refresh my memory???

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to mention that the WC isn't the elite tournament in terms of quality, the tournament that gathers the most talent is the Champions League, that is where the truly best compete on a regular basis.

Credibility... if you had any... is out the window.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course there's a rivalry.. theres just too much hate burning in the Messi riders/Ronaldo haters to admit it. Ronaldo is the only guy in the world who can come close to Messi.. so theres naturally a rivalry but it doesnt mean Messi isnt the superior player.
    i thought kaka or even ribery/robben had a chance, but injuries has derailed these guys careers...

ozil and di maria...if they played on one man teams and continue with the current performances in big tournaments, then they could make a case for themselves this decade...but too bad these guys play on stacked teams and get overshadowed due to not touches and tv time on sportscenter play of the night....

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i thought kaka or even ribery/robben had a chance, but injuries has derailed these guys careers...

ozil and di maria...if they played on one man teams and continue with the current performances in big tournaments, then they could make a case for themselves this decade...but too bad these guys play on stacked teams and get overshadowed due to not touches and tv time on sportscenter play of the night....
    Muller is better than Ozil.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last I checked, Xavi just won the world cup... while Messi got his asshole raped 4-0 against Germany. Also shot more times than any other player in the world cup. How many goals did he score by shooting the most of any player in the world cup again? Refresh my memory???
    Lol Gaynaldo's isn't enough for already

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not too long ago I heard my favorite sport's journalist Juan Pablo Varsky say that "Messi was the best Maradona everyday", I haven't had the chance to see Maradona play on his prime but if Varsky (a known Maradona fan) says that I bealive him.

People tend to overrate former players and underrate current ones in the all-time great debate. I haven't seen a better player in my lifetime than Messi and I seriously doubt there could have been a player that did what he does with the consistency that he does.
    I did see Diego in his prime, and I can tell you that he was better than Messi.
    Lio scores more goals, but it has a lot to do with the system Barcelona uses around him.
    Diego´s and Lionel´s dribbling ability are about the same. (check Diego at 24...he was unstoppable just like Messi on 1 vs 1 situations)
    Diego had better court vision, but I guess that came with age/experience.
    For free kicks, Diego had a glove in his left foot.

The main difference is leadership. Diego was a leader. Messi is not. Xavi is Barca´s leader.

Diego had Messi´s talent + Xavi´s leadership.

Diego played for ing Napoli!!! and battled against the strongest clubs in Italy (Milan, Juve) winning a couple of local leagues.
    Imagine the Charlotte Bobcats winning the NBA le...

Personal problems aside,As a soccer player, Diego >> Messi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is the xavi led barca team better then the one when ronaldinho was at barca?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is the xavi led barca team better then the one when ronaldinho was at barca?
    It could be... but Dino had Eto.... Xavi has the overrated Villa... so Dino's team was better.

Thread Information