Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow... have to put up with vander for 4 more years...

you would have had to put up with me and my exorbitant 15 posts per day anyways

this is actually better for you, as he won't be able to thrive with another team (not that he didn't do well here) and even further prove me right

this is disappointing though, what of Ian now? of Splitter?
    or maybe Dyess is going to retire, then this would be great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im not jumping off the bandwagon, but im being realistic about our chances with him getting more than 5 mintes a game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No man, the problem is that signing guys like this puts us farther from contention than closer. And the window opening was already pretty thin, if open at all.
    How does a signing Bonner put the Spurs farther from contention? They didn't have any other realistic options for the money they could've spent (LLE or vet min). I could understand if the opportunity cost for signing Bonner was equal or greater than his value, but I just don't see it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does a signing Bonner put the Spurs farther from contention?
    Because if they pay him, they're going to play him.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a company chooses to keep an employee they value, the do not cut his salary, unless you want them to be disgruntled as well. A slight raise was to be expected if the Spurs were gonna sign him. 4 years is a bit surprising though, as I would have expected 2 or 3 max.

Bonner is a hard worker, and he won't be expected to fill a big man role this year. Only to hustle on defense and hit 3 pointers. Rebounding and interior defense will fall to the other bigs...TD, Splitter, Blair, and Mcdyess, two of which I expect to be on the floor with Bonner at the same time, most times.

The Spurs ability to sign Splitter, and another player with the LLE is unaffected by this move.

Put your big boy pants on people and relax. The Spurs know what they are doing.

Believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The classic end to the Bonner era would be to use Splitter's rights to salary dump Bonner's contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So how many of you are jumping off the bandwagon?
    I'm not jumpin' off no bandwagon.

I just am not comfortable with Bonner up at the helm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And if Spurs have truly spend more than $12M on Bonner, they have no excuses not to offer the full MLE to Splitter if it what it takes to get him or a max extension to Parker.

When you waste that much money on Bonner, there are no legit financial excuses.
    damn.

straight.

great point, Bruno.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The classic end to the Bonner era would be to use Splitter's rights to salary dump Bonner's contract.
    You're a sick, sick man.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With quotes from Matt Bonner.

Its not like Matt Bonner was going to go on ESPN and have a one hour special about where he signs. He's Matt ing Bonner.

I didn't say it wasn't accurate. All I said was I've seen it reported one place that's it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF true, window closed. If Pop is signing a guy for that much, he's playing significant minutes. Don't delude yourself. Bonner's going to be starting...

Also, so much for a smart front office. A classic stupidity: Bidding Against Yourself. Anybody hear of Bonner getting so much as a sniff from anyone else?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    paying him 1.00 or 5 million doesnt matter. what matters is how much PT he gets. The more he plays, the more we will lose a lead/game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quick, is Finley available to sign a 3-year deal?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should of signed Tim Thomas for the vet min.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a company chooses to keep an employee they value, the do not cut his salary, unless you want them to be disgruntled as well. A slight raise was to be expected if the Spurs were gonna sign him. 4 years is a bit surprising though, as I would have expected 2 or 3 max.

Bonner is a hard worker, and he won't be expected to fill a big man role this year. Only to hustle on defense and hit 3 pointers. Rebounding and interior defense will fall to the other bigs...TD, Splitter, Blair, and Mcdyess, two of which I expect to be on the floor with Bonner at the same time, most times.

The Spurs ability to sign Splitter, and another player with the LLE is unaffected by this move.

Put your big boy pants on people and relax. The Spurs know what they are doing.

Believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does a signing Bonner put the Spurs farther from contention? They didn't have any other realistic options for the money they could've spent (LLE or vet min). I could understand if the opportunity cost for signing Bonner was equal or greater than his value, but I just don't see it.
    What's the point of signing a paperweight that's going to take minutes away from the other guys? (Blair, probably Splitter if he comes over). We need good interior defense, rebounding, help for Tim. This guys provides none of that. Roll the dice with somebody else. And to top it all off, we make sure his futility will stick with us for 4 more years... un ingbelievable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs could have had ing Darko for a million more a season.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No man, the problem is that signing guys like this puts us farther from contention than closer. And the window opening was already pretty thin, if open at all.
    same can be said for that huge contract they gave Manu

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The new contract is expected to exceed the annual salary of $3.2 million he earned last season.
    And still no Splitter yet. What are they thinking ? Did the Spurs blow their wad last year ? What does Pop have up his sleeve ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was just thinking about that. Would they sign him to such a large contract to do a S&T? It didn't sound like that was the intention from Matt's comments.

Makes you say hmmm... YoMamaIsCallin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree with the premise, I've stated as much -- the Spurs aren't likely to find a better player for that role.

But it's not that some of us begrudge him getting paid, it's what that inevitable means: significant playing time.

I wasn't against him coming back at a reduced rate and role behind Duncan, Splitter, Blair and 'Dyess, but some were convinced he'd never be behind all of them regardless of what he was getting paid. I figured the Spurs would be fine.

But to give him a raise and long-term contract?
    (shaking head) this has no logic at all.

First, do you really think Popovich gives a about what a player's paid when he plays him or not? If Popovich plays Bonner, or anyone, it's because he thinks he is the best player to put in at that point in time.

Second, if you DON'T give him a reasonable offer, he'll just go somewhere else, then you are into the "oh crap now I have to find someone to replace him at that price" issue that I was just talking about. You can't just arbitrarily lowball a free agent and expect he'll take it.

Lots of NBA teams would love to have a serviceable no-drama big man at this price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because if they pay him, they're going to play him.
    As they would have played "replacement player with similar skill". Spurs didn't pay him because he's a good guy, they paid him because he fits a needed role.

Can you tell me who this "replacement player with similar skill" is, that he's attainable for LLE or vet min, and that he's going to be better than Bonner at spreading the floor and making 3s?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF true, window closed. If Pop is signing a guy for that much, he's playing significant minutes. Don't delude yourself. Bonner's going to be starting...

Also, so much for a smart front office. A classic stupidity: Bidding Against Yourself. Anybody hear of Bonner getting so much as a sniff from anyone else?
    Written by Jeff Garcia
    According to the report, the Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks and the Denver Nuggets have contacted Bonner.

draft bust
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is got damn horrible news. Bonner is a decent signing for LLE money. Four years and $14M or whatever the F is just stupid. He's a proven choker who should be a fifth bigman this season.

Ungotdamnbelievable
    this is obviously fake

Thread Information