Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be if Camby is toast. For a guy who, at this juncture, would be counted on solely as a defensive-minded 5, the Rockets gave up 1.07 points per possession when he was on the floor last year - that was the worst of all their regular rotation players.

He's always been willing to leave his own man in search of the weak side blocked shot, but as he's getting old, he's having to do it earlier and earlier. And he doesn't defend the PnR any better than Duncan at this point either.
    So you mean to say he's an older version of Serge Ibaka?

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you trade the rights to Branden Dawson for Camby?
    IOW, would you trade a 2013 1st round pick for Camby?

I would make that trade and throw in a 5th big, be that Blair or Bonner.
    Still, I wanted Sacre at 59. Sacre > Stiemsma.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems that quite a few NBA teams believe that he is not toast.
    NBA general managers chasing an aging former big name isn't exactly rock solid evidence that the player still has something left in the tank. Especially when those teams are NY (who paid max money to Amare when there is virtually no chance his knees survive that deal) and MIA (who is so stacked at other positions, they can afford to keep plugging away at various options hoping for an upgrade to their currently awful 5 spot).

That said, I'm not saying he is for a fact done. But there is mounting statistical and visual evidence that this may be the case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you mean to say he's an older version of Serge Ibaka?
    If the player can rack up enough shots, there is still value in the undisciplined weak side shot blocker. Not DPOY value, but value.

4 to 5 blocks per 36 minutes (such as Ibaka now or Camby 5-6 years ago) is worth putting up with a few errors in staying home.

However, when that number has fallen to 2 blocks per 36, and there is statistical evidence that Houston was worse defensively per possession with Camby on the floor than they were with him on the bench, then that should raise some major red flags.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA general managers chasing an aging former big name isn't exactly rock solid evidence that the player still has something left in the tank.
    I didn't say it was, but it when the teams interested include the Spurs and the team run by Pat Riley, it's a good indicator.

One thing is certain. The Spurs 2013 first round pick can't do anything to help them in 2012-13 unless it is traded. Now, of course, I'm not advocating tossing it away recklessly. IMO, acquiring Marcus Camby would be well worth giving up a protected 1st round pick in 2013.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing is certain. The Spurs 2013 first round pick can't do anything to help them in 2012-13 unless it is traded. Now, of course, I'm not advocating tossing it away recklessly. IMO, acquiring Marcus Camby would be well worth giving up a protected 1st round pick in 2013.
    Agree with that - but if you give it up for Camby, then you don't have it to deal for somebody else.

Pop's smarter than me, but he's also not above latching on to a declining veteran. It's been 3 years since a team was better defensively with Camby on the floor than with him on the bench. That's not an end-all-be-all stat, but it scares me quite a bit if we give anything of value for him (including cap space).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with that - but if you give it up for Camby, then you don't have it to deal for somebody else.

Pop's smarter than me, but he's also not above latching on to a declining veteran. It's been 3 years since a team was better defensively with Camby on the floor than with him on the bench. That's not an end-all-be-all stat, but it scares me quite a bit if we give anything of value for him (including cap space).
    And that's why they pay those guys in the FO, to judge the value of the things like future first round picks. The pick has some future value. I believe Camby is worth more than what the pick can be used for in the 2013 draft. Whether Camby is worth more than some other player they may acquire with that pick is unknown.

I understand the risks associated with acquiring Camby, but the any transaction to improve the team is going to come with some associated risk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say it was, but it when the teams interested include the Spurs and the team run by Pat Riley, it's a good indicator.

Are we even able to trade away the 2013 pick since we traded away the 2012 pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risks are one thing - but what's the upside?

There hasn't been any since he was 36, so to expecting it to show up at 39 seems desperate. Which is an emotion that this team is pretty good at avoiding, but occasionally lucks away from. We caught a break when Caron Butler chose the Clips last year. I think it would be a similar break (although I don't have a good feel for how hard we're even pushing with Camby) if Marcus signs elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risks are one thing - but what's the upside?
    I get it. You don't believe that Camby is worth the risk.

We disagree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we even able to trade away the 2013 pick since we traded away the 2012 pick?
    Yes. The rule prohibits trading two consecutive future first round picks.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I get it. You don't believe that Camby is worth the risk.

We disagree.
    I'd be willing to offer Camby a one year deal but anything more than that would be pushing the envelope.

I Make Love To Pressure MR.SILVER&BLack's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only would want Camby in a sign & trade packaged with Lee or Patterson & a pick. hope they are not planning on using the MLE on him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget Caron Butler.
    I didn't; I purposely left him out. The Clippers offered more money than the Spurs could, had an appealing situation of their own and had a gaping hole at small forward, so that one made sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marcus Camby ‏@MarcusCamby23
    Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....

Who knew Camby's destination would be such a followed storyline coming into this offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now it appears that the Camby situation will be resolved without a meeting with the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
    A deal for Camby is possible, maybe even probable "in next 24 hours." Rockets would get back pieces, but won't be for all 4 Knicks offered.

1h Jonathan Feigen ‏@Jonathan_Feigen
    There are reports that Marcus Camby has agreed to go to NY in S&T. Was just told "He has not made a decision."
    It sounds like it's going to be the Knicks but I still think the Spurs can get him if they want him. I'm glad that it'll probably be over soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
    Marcus Camby has reached agreement on a deal with the Knicks, league sources tell Y! Sports.
    Houston and New York agreed on a sign-and-trade deal sending Douglas, Harrelson, Jordan to Rockets for picks, sources said.

Ko Ko
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marcus Camby has reached agreement on a deal with the Knicks, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Houston and New York agreed on a sign-and-trade deal sending Douglas, Harrelson, Jordan to Rockets for picks, sources said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    per Woj

The Rockets will get the Knicks' second round picks in 2014 and 2015, source tells Y! The Knicks will pay Toney Douglas' salary in Houston.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well that's en great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Camby has agreed to a three year, $13.2 million deal with the Knicks, source tells Y! The final year includes a partial guarantee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great news.
    I didn't want him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ok, thats done!

Thread Information