Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The compe ion gets significantly better every year and so far this off season the Spurs haven't done enough to keep up with the compe ion. They stuck to their old stubborn ways of surrounding the big 3 with role players. Sure it got us 4 rings and it was great but at some stage you got to have a plan B.

When signing Roger Mason a guy that gave you 9ppg and expecting him to help your offensive droughts you got to be kidding yourself. Especially when Manu will be playing with a walking stick towards the end of the season.

Resigning the aging Kurt Thomas wasn’t a bad idea but he is 36. How much does he have left in him? If he gets injured then along comes the dud I can’t get a rebound Oberto who might start what a fuking joke. If that fails along comes Mahinimi who should go back and play volleyball.

Geoge Hill should stick to keep building houses. That opens the door to The Garbage Truck Vaughn, who is just fukin pathetic. Peter Holt will do a better job than him.

Michael Finley, who has been great for us but it was time to move on. He's done. The workers at the At&T center should put the wheel chair ramps up for him when he enters the building.

The Big 3 can only get us so far and I see us finishing 6th and getting knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round.

NOH or HOUSTON to take out the West.

THE RIDE IS OVER WE'RE DONE, BUT WHAT A JOURNEY IT WAS!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As we discussed in the DRob vs. Tim debate, there was a time when we didn't have a "big 3." The fact that we have 3 bona fide all-stars on our roster at the same time is amazing. That is a great nucleus that only requires role players to fill in the gaps.

We don't need any major trades, guys.
    Last edited by Admiral; 08-17-2008 at 09:18 PM.

George Hill: 2-Guard NewJerSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team should've traded for Brett Favre when it had the chance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oberto is actually a very good rebounder. Here are some comparisons for rebounds per 48 minutes from nba.com:

18.0 Camby
    18.0 Dwight Howard
    16 Duncan
    15.4 Kurt Thomas
    14 Yao Ming
    13.5 Garnett
    12.6 Oberto
    12.5 Scola
    12.2 Villanueva
    12 Chris Wilcox
    11.9 Kendrick Perkins
    11.8 Haslem
    11.5 Bosh
    11.4 Nowitzki
    11.3 Pau Gasol
    11.3 David West
    11.2 Okur
    11 Nesterovic
    10.7 Brandon Bass
    10.6 Glen Davis
    10.5 Rasheed Wallace

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [bookmarking this for June]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They stuck to their old stubborn ways of surrounding the big 3 with role players. Sure it got us 4 rings and it was great but at some stage you got to have a plan B.
    So, you wanted their plan B to be what?

Trade one of the big 3?

Because that's the only other alternative. You either build around your stars with role players or trade your stars. There's nothing else to do when there's a salary cap.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think we got a little better, but significant changes for the next season (2010) will be coming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oberto is actually a very good rebounder. Here are some comparisons for rebounds per 48 minutes from nba.com:

18.0 Camby
    18.0 Dwight Howard
    16 Duncan
    15.4 Kurt Thomas
    14 Yao Ming
    13.5 Garnett
    12.6 Oberto
    12.5 Scola
    12.2 Villanueva
    12 Chris Wilcox
    11.9 Kendrick Perkins
    11.8 Haslem
    11.5 Bosh
    11.4 Nowitzki
    11.3 Pau Gasol
    11.3 David West
    11.2 Okur
    11 Nesterovic
    10.7 Brandon Bass
    10.6 Glen Davis
    10.5 Rasheed Wallace
    I don't agree with this thread at all, but the people below Oberto do things other than rebound. For example, Bosh gets points, Nowitzki gets points, West gets points, Okur gets points, et al.

Get it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and just FYI Ian never played volleyball. That was a mistake by ESPN on draft night. They were reading off someone else's bio accidentally ... I think Splitter's ironically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The OP is giving up on the Spurs' chances because they didn't:

1) Get JR Smith or Ricky Davis in free agency.
    2) Trade Manu Ginobili, Roger Mason and Jacque Vaughn for Carmelo Anthony.

Right.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't agree with this thread at all, but the people below Oberto do things other than rebound. For example, Bosh gets points, Nowitzki gets points, West gets points, Okur gets points, et al.

Get it?
    That's very true. I'm not saying Oberto is an all-star or anything other than a role player, but to say he's a terrible rebounder is just not true.

That's why I started the paragraph off with Oberto is actually a very good rebounder rather than Oberto is a big time scorer and all around unstoppable machine.

Get it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and just FYI Ian never played volleyball. That was a mistake by ESPN on draft night. They were reading off someone else's bio accidentally ... I think Splitter's ironically.
    Oh the tension, the terror.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe I'm about to break this all down.
    The compe ion gets significantly better every year and so far this off season the Spurs haven't done enough to keep up with the compe ion. They stuck to their old stubborn ways of surrounding the big 3 with role players. Sure it got us 4 rings and it was great but at some stage you got to have a plan B.
    There were no options for the Spurs. You all wanted them to go out and go after the real free agents, and they did. They went after Maggette, Najera, and Pargo, 3 great players that could've helped us greatly. Unfortunately they all went with the money. At that point, what can you do? What kind of 'Plan B' can you have that enables you to still acquire those guys?
    When signing Roger Mason a guy that gave you 9ppg and expecting him to help your offensive droughts you got to be kidding yourself. Especially when Manu will be playing with a walking stick towards the end of the season.
    9 points a game can end an offensive drought. What the is so wrong with that? I'm sure they're sorry they couldn't go out and get the 20/10/5 guy.
    Resigning the aging Kurt Thomas wasn’t a bad idea but he is 36. How much does he have left in him? If he gets injured then along comes the dud I can’t get a rebound Oberto who might start what a fuking joke. If that fails along comes Mahinimi who should go back and play volleyball.
    You're basically saying we don't have 3rd string players that have starting potential. 'Oh what happens when our starter goes down? Our backup isn't as good as him. Oh what happens when our backup goes down? Our 3rd stringer isn't the best player in the world. Oh, we're ed now.'
    Geoge Hill should stick to keep building houses. That opens the door to The Garbage Truck Vaughn, who is just fukin pathetic. Peter Holt will do a better job than him.
    Oh noes! A rookie that's in need of development! What are we gonna do? Why can't he immediately come in and average 15/5 like an allstar point guard? And what do we do now? He have one of the best insurance guards in the league! But of course, insurance isn't enough!
    Michael Finley, who has been great for us but it was time to move on. He's done. The workers at the At&T center should put the wheel chair ramps up for him when he enters the building..
    Que Mason and Udoka's larger role. Well that wasn't so hard, was it?
    The Big 3 can only get us so far and I see us finishing 6th and getting knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round.

Alrighty then.
    Ah yes it was. Now you can spare us of further assinine comments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Michael Finley, who has been great for us but it was time to move on. He's done. The workers at the At&T center should put the wheel chair ramps up for him when he enters the building.

Aaaaaaallll aboard!!! Aaaaaalll aboard the failboat, Captain AC#21_TD ERA will be your captain today!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since the post doesn't really mention a dilemma, I assume the dilemma is whether the OP continues to ride the Spurs bandwagon or chooses another -- and if so, which one?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There has been alot of chicken littles running around here. Now let's look at the truth.

Point: Popovich is still one of the best coaches in the league.
    Point: Ducan is still one of the best PF/C in the league.
    Point: Parker is on the top point guards in the league.
    Point: We have the deepest SG positon in the NBA Finely, Ginobili, Mason
    Point: Our SF postion has some of the best SF defenders in the league.
    Point: Our center postion is playoff tested with smart players
    Point: Anything Mahinmi or Hill gives you is just a bonus.
    Point: This is one of the best defensive teams in the NBA.
    Point: Spurs will be right at the top again this year.

Yes, the sky may fall, but not today and not this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I anxiously await the first opportunity to use the chicken little emoticon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There has been alot of chicken littles running around here. Now let's look at the truth.

Point: Popovich is still one of the best coaches in the league.
    Point: Ducan is still one of the best PF/C in the league.
    Point: Parker is on the top point guards in the league.
    Point: We have the deepest SG positon in the NBA Finely, Ginobili, Mason
    Point: Our SF postion has some of the best SF defenders in the league.
    Point: Our center postion is playoff tested with smart players
    Point: Anything Mahinmi or Hill gives you is just a bonus.
    Point: This is one of the best defensive teams in the NBA.
    Point: Spurs will be right at the top again this year.

Yes, the sky may fall, but not today and not this year.
    This is my version:

Point: Popovich is the best defensive-oriented choach in the league; & one of the best all-around
    Point: TIM is the BEST PF ever played the game, and the SMARTER right now
    Point: Parker is the fastest player in the league; one of the best PG
    Point: We have the best compe or, explosive and reliable SG: Manu
    Point: In our SF positions, we have the best perimeter defender in the NBA
    Point: Our center position is already tested, smart, and helpful
    Point: Mahinmi & Hill will help a lot, especially Ian
    Point: This is one of the best defensive team, and the smartest
    Point: Spurs will get AT LEAST 2 more RINGS before Duncan retires.

NUFF SAID

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

THE RIDE IS OVER WE'RE DONE

And another one jumps off the bandwagon...with all the impact of removing your finger from the ocean.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the Spurs really need is for the Big 3 to be fresh enough to play 4th quarters well, particularly in the playoffs.. if the new additions plus the returning vets can take some of the Big 3's minutes and hold the fort then the Spurs will be compe ive.

Banned
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    [bookmarking this for June]
    for June?

you mean when you are in Cancun fishing?

Dumb ass!

Banned
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Duncan will be what 34?

Dream on !

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan will be what 34?

Dream on !
    how old is nash again?

your game is slipping louis, its time to try a new handle. maybe a portland fan this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how old is nash again?

your game is slipping louis, its time to try a new handle. maybe a portland fan this time.

Thread Information