My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3567481

By Chris Broussard
    ESPN The Magazine
    (Archive)

Updated: September 3, 2008, 2:45 PM ET

Rookies Mario Chalmers of the Miami Heat and Darrell Arthur of the Memphis Grizzlies were thrown out of the NBA's Rookie Transition Program on Wednesday morning after being caught in their hotel room at Doral Arrowwood in Rye Brook, N.Y., with marijuana, according to sources.

"Yes, they were sent home for violating program rules,'' NBA spokesman Brian McIntyre said.

According to a source, the players were also fined $20,000 each and will begin the season on the suspended list. McIntyre would not confirm that, but he said the league will continue to investigate the matter and that appropriate sanctions will take place.

Chalmers and Arthur were both members of last year's NCAA champion Kansas Jayhawks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rookies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. Maybe RC had some good info on those Jayhawks. If you are dumb enough to try to smoke a little W in a setting where the NBA watches your every move, that doesn't sound like Spurs material.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like they're having a hard time coping with George Hill getting drafted ahead of them.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are rookie mistakes, and then there's just being stupid. Geez.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. Maybe RC had some good info on those Jayhawks. If you are dumb enough to try to smoke a little W in a setting where the NBA watches your every move, that doesn't sound like Spurs material.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Legalize it

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Looks like J-Ho has some new buddies in the league

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    LMAO at thinking this justifies the Spurs picking Hill!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The rookie transition program is like 10 days.. they couldn't even hold out til it was over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dumbasses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wish i had some bud right now...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess some posters owe rc some respect

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Chalmers is the next Billups no one will care if he smokes weed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People who smoke weed are not bad people. They showed an obvious error in judgment, but they will learn. It would be no worse than seeing them at the club drinking in the same time frame. It is just a weird sense of drinking being ok and smoking not.

And I do not even smoke or advocate it; just makes no sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People who smoke weed are not bad people. They showed an obvious error in judgment, but they will learn. It would be no worse than seeing them at the club drinking in the same time frame. It is just a weird sense of drinking being ok and smoking not.

the dude abides

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I drink Caucasians man, I don't do j's

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like they're having a hard time coping with George Hill getting drafted ahead of them.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That wierd sense of drinking being okay and smoking not is exactly the reason why this IS worse than if they had been spotted at a club boozing it up. Forget any health/legal aspects to all this. One activity puts your NBA career at risk, one doesn't.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    At least these guys have a chance at becoming legitimate players in the League.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Chalmers is the next Billups no one will care if he smokes weed.
    to be honest with ya...i doubt anyone gives a damn as it is anyhow except the media.

i would lay odds that more then 1/2 the league burns during the season and off season. who gives a if they smoke herb? as long as they don't smoke while theyre at practice, during games, or at special events then why should it matter? they don't get handed suspensions for drinking and we all know ballers love to club it up. such hypocrisy in this bs democracy.

you can have a coke head in the white house who drives drunk but you can't have a baller who gets his hops by smoking a little bud. our society is a bunch of pussies!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's not a matter of legality. It's a matter of stupidity.

In this rookie program, multiple days are set aside to talk about the drug policy, drug use and the such. To listen to that and go back to a room and get your W on is pretty damn dumb. Especially since they have a policy where the program directors have free range to go into the hotel rooms and even conduct drug tests if they are su ious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That wierd sense of drinking being okay and smoking not is exactly the reason why this IS worse than if they had been spotted at a club boozing it up. Forget any health/legal aspects to all this. One activity puts your NBA career at risk, one doesn't.
    Ya, I already said it was an error in judgment. I did not say it was not worse. I said society has this view that drinking is ok and smoking is not. Obviously a dumb decision, but in MY eyes going out and drinking is just as bad, especially to your employer. If you go to a business lunch with your boss and start throwing down shots of Patron, even though it is legal, it can put your career at risk.

Also, this really does not put their careers in jeopardy. Plenty of people get caught and still play. People can go into the stands and beat the crap out of fans and they still play. People can fire guns into crowds at night clubs and still play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both Chalmers and Arthur have slipped a lot during the draft. Arthur was projected at a lottery pick and end up at #28. Chalmers was projected as a first round pick and was picked at #34.
    While there was the kidney trouble with Arthur, I wonder if they haven't also slipped because some teams were concerned about their at ude.

And this news doesn't change that if Hill sucks, he would have been a bad draft pick.

Thread Information