Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or i suppose he has to have starters minutes?

Do we even want him? Discuss.

I've got to say absolutely yes if the price is right. Figuring out minutes is a good problem to have. *Too much* depth is a good thing.

Can't Start Threads
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the player who use to school TP. So bringing him in would be like bringing in Kurt. Who was schooled by TD. Neither will help us out.

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Marbury would be a bust. He has been spoiled for too long, and when he isn't being spoiled, he is causing problems in the orginization he is playing for.

Marbury is talented, but the terrible thing about it, is that he knows he is. If he can somehow forget that he is a pretty good basketball player, it could quite possibly be a good thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Some People Change" the Kenny Chesney song. Marbury ready to share and win a Championship?

After he clears waivers he can recieve any of the following options, right?: vet minimum, remaining exception amounts or available cap space.

Where are Spurs on this front? ^^^

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm noobish, don't know where to get that info. I use my gut.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Marbury being waived, he can pretty much take anything he wants.

I think he's more of a risk than Artest because of his rap for being so spoiled. Still, he does have skills and might be able to fit into the Spurs. Most of the Spurs are vets so I can't see him affecting the team much at all with his spoiled at ude.

Low risk, high reward. I can see him on Spurs, Warriors or Wizards as all 3 teams can use him. He'd fit best on the Spurs because of all the vets on the team, he'd probably screw up the Warriors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marbury broke a Oberto's finger in 2004, and Fab was yelling "son of a b*tch" at him from the bench. It's been a while now, but I don't know how well he would fit in the Spurs locker room.

Here's the video of the incident, at 4:30:

Last edited by AnotherArgie; 09-23-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Add video

Sex Panther user- 60% of the time, it works every time. Sausage's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Van Exel part deux

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marbury being waived, he can pretty much take anything he wants.
    He can. But what can the Spurs offer?

Most of the Spurs are vets so I can't see him affecting the team much at all with his spoiled at ude.
    Isn't that why we have Michael Finley? For his great locker room presense and veteran leadership? Time for Duncan and co. to nutt up if they really are leaders. The Patriots took on the biggest baby of all time, Randy Moss and that worked out pretty well. 18-1 aint bad altho they couldnt finish it.

And what about the great players favorite coach Lord Poppy *. Can't he get Marbury to fit in.
    *according to 2005 polls conducted amoung tabacco chewers over the age of 30. And that was a womens only poll.

I'm not directing this at you Allanon at all. If the Spurs vets and Big 3 have any nutts at all they will keep any baby antics by Marbury in check.

Marbury broke a Oberto's finger in 2004, and Fab was yelling "son of a b*tch" at him from the bench. It's been a while now, but I don't know how well he would fit in the Spurs locker room.
    Get over it Fab. You sucked bad in last years playoffs.

xello888330
    I'm noobish, don't know where to get that info. I use my gut.
    Thanks for sharing. It's what dbs are all about.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he REALLy wants a championship, joining the spurs will practically guarantee it. playing under 20 minutes backing up tp, winning a championship, and earning $21 million sounds good to me. marbury is still effective and young, unlike van exel. but he'll probably go to the heat where he can start.
    Last edited by 024; 09-23-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Where Everything Happens The Franchise's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I just don't see the FO taking a chance on him. To much could go wrong.

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see him as another Damon/Van Exel signing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got pretty good chemistry with Duncan from 2004 right? I say if he wants a championship for cheap, why not. It looks like scoring may be a problem for the Spurs this year.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I am just curious why anyone would think for one second Marybury would become a Spur.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got pretty good chemistry with Duncan from 2004 right?
    Yeah, that turned out great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Here's the video of the incident, at 4:30:
    It happens so fast can't tell from angle if Marbury cheapshotted Fabs. Looks like an accident.

Sidepoint, at 4:25 good reason why Tim said screw FIBA.
    Oberto all over him, no call.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marbury >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> George Hill/Roger Mason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm, no... he's a chucker. And he will want to start.
    Plus, he'll go for the money. Those cheap Marbury shoes don't sell that well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sidepoint, at 4:25 good reason why Tim said screw FIBA.
    Oberto all over him, no call.
    No, if it were a good example of why Timmy was frustrated, it would have ended with Timmy getting whistled for an offensive foul.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marbury headed out of New York?
    By Chris Colston, USA TODAY

What was anticipated all summer might become reality by week's end if, as Newsday reports, the New York Knicks waive Stephon Marbury. Because of taking the hit on the final year of Marbury's contract, worth $21.9 million, Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan has been reluctant to end the chaotic tenure of the veteran point guard.
    Once Marbury clears waivers and a buyout is reached, he would be free to sign with any team. Reports in Newsday and South Florida news media included interest from the Miami Heat.

According to Newsday, which cited several persons with knowledge of the situation, Marbury has recovered from surgery in January to remove bone spurs in his left ankle, has worked out all summer and trimmed his playing weight to 200 pounds.

His best statistics in 41/2 seasons with the Knicks came in 2004-05, when Marbury averaged 21.7 points and 8.1 assists. Hs numbers have declined, while his feuding with management and teammates increased. The low point might have been in November, when Marbury missed a game in Phoenix without permission and returned to New York.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to throw in a conflicting report......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3605502

Knicks president says Marbury will be at camp; veteran Houston might, too

By Chris Broussard
    ESPN The Magazine
    (Archive)

Updated: September 23, 2008, 10:04 PM ET

Pouring water on widespread speculation that the Knicks will waive Stephon Marbury, president Donnie Walsh said the controversial point guard will be with the team when it begins official workouts next week.

"He's coming to training camp," Walsh said of Marbury in a telephone interview Tuesday evening.

A newspaper report out of New York Tuesday morning said the Knicks are planning to waive Marbury by the end of the week. The move, which has been speculated about for months in the media, would eventually lead to a buyout of the $21.9 million Marbury is owed in the final year of his contract.

"This thing is initiated in the press and then I have to ask questions about it," Walsh said, sounding somewhat perturbed. "I haven't approached [Marbury] about a buyout."

When asked whether he's reached out to the point guard to alleviate concerns about his status with the team, Walsh said, "I talked to Stephon once and he seems OK about all of this."

Marbury is coming off the worst season of his 12-year career. He had a famous falling-out with his coach, president and one-time mentor Isiah Thomas, played in only 24 games because of injury, underwent surgery on his left ankle, and averaged career-lows in points (13.9), assists (4.7), rebounds (2.5) and minutes (33.6).

But at 31 years old, Marbury is still fairly young, and reports are that he spent the summer getting in the best shape he's been in in years.

Walsh also said former Knicks guard Allan Houston will probably join the team at training camp. He said Houston, 37, has been working out with the Knicks at their practice facility and that his shooting touch is as smooth as ever.

Walsh is going to meet with Houston on Wednesday to further discuss the situation. He would not guarantee Houston a spot on the roster, though.

"I don't know the answer to that," Walsh said, when asked whether Houston would definitely play for the Knicks this season. "But as far as putting the ball in the basket, he absolutely can still shoot. He has to be in more intense situations."

Houston is expected to sign a contract paying him the league minimum salary of $1.26 million for a player of 10 or more years experience, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. If he doesn't make the team, he will probably be retained in some front-office capacity.

If he does make the team, Houston, who wore No. 20 throughout his career, will wear No. 14 in honor of his dad Wade, who wore the number as the first African-American player at the University of Louisville.

Houston, who averaged 17.3 points over his 12-year career, was forced to retire in 2005 because of an arthritic left knee. He returned briefly last season before bowing out during the Knicks training camp.

Walsh said it will be different this time around.

"In that case, he hadn't worked out that much," Walsh said. "He just came in and started playing. Now, he feels like he's in better position to go out and play. I accept that."

The question is will New York still accept Marbury.

Chris Broussard is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isiah is gone, but the Knicks continue to make dumb moves. Just let the guy go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not Tim or Marbury's fault that all star teams that are just put together 3 weeks before the olympics can't beat the teams around the world anymore. The reason the Nuggets are good but not contenders is the same reason the 2004 team lost the gold.
    At issue is the use of the word "chemistry", which is a big reason Argentina beat the living snot out of the US, even if the refs hadn't been helping. Marbury's teams rarely have any kind of team chemistry, despite his immense talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At issue is the use of the word "chemistry", which is a big reason Argentina beat the living snot out of the US, even if the refs hadn't been helping. Marbury's teams rarely have any kind of team chemistry, despite his immense talent.
    So, what would you think about Marbury on the Spurs, taking into account his immense talent but troublesome character?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, what would you think about Marbury on the Spurs, taking into account his immense talent but troublesome character?
    His immense talent couldn't overcome his troublesome character on the worst team in the NBA over the last several years, even with a general manager and coach who loved him as much as anyone. I think he knows that the Spurs are going to ask him to work and to be a team player, so there's no way he even returns their phone calls for the vet minimum. He's a no-risk option if he grows up and decides he wants to redeem himself, because the Spurs have a glut of guards and can send two of them to Austin to take his place if he s up.

Thread Information