Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Brian Williams: Is an abortion clinic bomber a terrorist under this definition?

Sarah Palin: (Exasperated sigh.) There’s no question that Bill Ayers by his own admittance was one who thought to destroy our U.S. Capitol and our Pentagon. That is a domestic terrorist. There is no question there. Now others who would want to engage in harming innocent Americans or facilities that it would be unacceptable to, I don’t know if you’re gonna use the word "terrorist" there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll be honest. I can't offer an opinion because I am not sure what she is saying.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'll be honest. I can't offer an opinion because I am not sure what she is saying.
    Basically she is saying that William Ayers is a domestic terrorist because he bombed the Pentagon and other government buildings, but people who bomb abortion clinics are not domestic terrorists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically she is saying that William Ayers is a domestic terrorist because he bombed the Pentagon and other government buildings, but people who bomb abortion clinics are not domestic terrorists.
    This woman is INSANE.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh geez, how do you spin this republicans?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, that's not that bad. It depends how wide of a net you want to cast with the word "terrorist". A person can bomb an abortion clinic without being necessarily a terrorist, unless you want to classify everybody who murders a person or bombs anything a terrorist.

Personally, a precondition for me to label someone a terrorist is the person has to have political gain as an objective in their action. Otherwise, anyone on earth who does anything evil could be considered a terrorist. Now whether someone bombs an abortion clinic for political reasons is probably based on a case by case basis.

Pretty bad answer to the question but she's not blatantly wrong when it comes to the actual wording. She probably needed another sentence to explain better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The funniest part of that segment to me was how McCain was acting. Him sitting there squirming in his chair is hilarious. He's acting like he took his girlfriend to his parents house and is hoping his girlfriend doesn't slip up while getting grilled by the parents

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, that's not that bad. It depends how wide of a net you want to cast with the word "terrorist". A person can bomb an abortion clinic without being necessarily a terrorist, unless you want to classify everybody who murders a person or bombs anything a terrorist.

Personally, a precondition for me to label someone a terrorist is the person has to have political gain as an objective in their action. Otherwise, anyone on earth who does anything evil could be considered a terrorist. Now whether someone bombs an abortion clinic for political reasons is probably based on a case by case basis.

Pretty bad answer to the question but she's not blatantly wrong when it comes to the actual wording. She probably needed another sentence to explain better.
    One of the definitions of terrorism:

the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
    You don't think these politically abortion bombers aren't trying to scare those who run the clinic or those who freely go to these to get the abortion?

Or aren't trying to have them submit to being operational.

They are terrorists, just as Timothy McVay was a terrorist and the Animal Liberation Front are a terrorist group and so on and so force.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said there were multiple definitions of "terrorist". That liberal definition you offered would consider a school bully a terrorist. Do you think school bullies are terrorists?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said there were multiple definitions of "terrorist". That liberal definition you offered would consider a school bully a terrorist. Do you think school bullies are terrorists?
    Yes, that bully would be a terrorist if he were terrorizing other people.

I'm sorry the actual word doesn't fit your pre-conditioned version but that's your deal.

Though bullying in school is on a different level of terrorism as bombing buildings, one is against school conduct while the other is unlawful. Nevertheless, it is terrorism.

Just because racism is more completely brought up in reference to white and black doesn't mean racism only applies to people who are white and black. The same with terrorists or terrorism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think getting into subjective intent with abortion clinic bombers is kind of bizarre.

Also, according to Black's Law Dictionary:
    terrorism, n. The use or threat of violence to intimidate or cause panic, esp. as a means of affecting political conduct.
    While affecting political conduct is not a prerequisite, I would argue that bombing abortion clinics has an immense socio-political impact on this country, it's a divisive tactic used to drive policy considerations, often backed by extreme fundamentalist views. Sound familiar?

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to disagree with timvp here as well. An abortion clinic bomber is most definitely a terrorist. How you could consider it anything other than that is beyond me. Plus, even if you wish to add a political agenda to the definition of terrorism, I'm not sure how that makes a difference? What exactly is the purpose of bombing an abortion clinic? what is it if not political??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is the man with pancake makeup asking her that question to begin with?

You almost expect B.O. to come out and get his knob polished by Brian Williams during the interview.

Geez.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

dude, you sound like Palin.

someone bombs clinic. its a terrorist by the very definition.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I have to disagree with timvp here as well. An abortion clinic bomber is most definitely a terrorist. How you could consider it anything other than that is beyond me. Plus, even if you wish to add a political agenda to the definition of terrorism, I'm not sure how that makes a difference? What exactly is the purpose of bombing an abortion clinic? what is it if not political??
    A note: usually, the definition of terrorism includes a political/social impact. You'll rarely find the term terrorist thrown out there without those political/social connections.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it that anybody using a bomb is labeled as a terrorist?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She's better off sticking to interviews with Hannity since he's further up her ass than whottt is.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It's not anyone using a bomb. Usually, it refers to anyone targeting a civilian population using a method designed to create terror, in order to further some political goal.

Bombs just happen to be a good way to inspire terror. However, terrorists could also, say, use guns to hold people hostage.

Bombs can also be used by non-terrorists (i.e. military).

The most borderline case would probably be the Unabomber. He was not necessarily a terrorist because he wasn't trying to enact political change, but some people might list him as one. I personally would not.

United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not anyone using a bomb. Usually, it refers to anyone targeting a civilian population using a method designed to create terror, in order to further some political goal.

Bombs just happen to be a good way to inspire terror. However, terrorists could also, say, use guns to hold people hostage.

Bombs can also be used by non-terrorists (i.e. military).

The most borderline case would probably be the Unabomber. He was not necessarily a terrorist because he wasn't trying to enact political change, but some people might list him as one. I personally would not.
    Even so, how does that not make an abortion clinic bomber a terrorist?

My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    oh dude...do you need a flow chart?

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Absolutely its terrorism. That isnt a debate.

Hunker down you hairy Dawgs! romad_20's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not everyone using a bomb is a terrorist. Maybe a bomb is just your tool for killing someone. You only want to kill that group or person. But someone using bombs to effect the long term behavior of people who perform or who want to get an abortion is most definitely terrorism.

Thread Information