Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the collective line of our 3 headed "monster" in the post of Bonner, Thomas and Oberto from the Minnesota game.

All efforts need to go into solving the problem in the post if this team is going to make any real noise this year. Duncan, Parker, Mason are all playing well. I believe Bowen and Udoka will be able to provide some necessary perimeter defense, but with no one besides Duncan to anchor the middle this team will suffer.

I'm hoping Mahinmi and Tolliver can provide some good minutes for the Spurs. I'd venture a bet, without having seen either play very much, that they can provide more than the team's current post rotation is providing.

And if they don't, perhaps Pop can bundle up some package that a struggling team would welcome. Bonner, Thomas, Oberto, Finley, Vaughn, Udoka, and as much as I don't want to say this, perhaps even Bowen are proving themselves expendable at this point. Although it deosn't seem likely to us, some team may want to cherry pick some of those folks in exchange for a disgruntled post player at some point this year.

All I know is that if TD is forced to play 40 minutes a night he's not going to have anything left in the tank once May gets here, and I know Pop knows this. I'd bet the farm that he'll make something happen, personnel-wise, if the team continues to get Timmy no help from its current frontcourt rotation. That's the key to the season for this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner sucks. plain and simple.

Oberto was coming back from his heart issue. he will get better

Thomas is a freaking ghost. I dont know what the is up with him

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are any of the "expendable" contracts expiring? That's the only way I can see anyone wanting any of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner sucks. plain and simple.

Oberto was coming back from his heart issue. he will get better

Thomas is a freaking ghost. I dont know what the is up with him
    I believe Oberto will get better. Thomas has shocked me so far as to how bad he's played. Bonner has shocked me that he's played.

Robert Horry has probably been watching Bonner and laughing his ass off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's because they suck!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I joked all summer that Mahinmi will be the savior. The way those three bigs are playing right now, it literally might be Mahinmi or Bust.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are any of the "expendable" contracts expiring? That's the only way I can see anyone wanting any of them.
    None of these contracts are very large, and some team might have a need for a Udoka or even Finley or Vaughn. Thomas is fairly highly regarded around the league if folks don't look at this year's performance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't wait until Ian starts playing. Honestly. I am excited to see what he can do. Hopefully pull more than three rebounds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner is just missing the baskets he's supposed to miss.

I've already mentioned this before, but for some reason Oberto seems to be about half as effective without Manu in the game. I know the two countrymen are bound to have chemistry together, but that puts us in a spot through November while we are sans Ginobili.

Thomas is the biggest surprise of the three. I expected the guy to show up rejuvenated by a new contract and ready for a full Spurs season, but he has looked absolutely ancient. I really hope he's still just hampered by the hamstring and playing to put a big body on the floor, because I really don't think this is what the Spurs were expecting when they gave this guy 8 million dollars.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just getting some warm bodies to eat up minutes should help a good deal. KT missed most of training camp and I'm not convinced he's healed up or in game shape, but he's out there. At his age anything resembling heavy minutes is out of the question for him. When he's able to come in with a "six fouls to give" mentality and be physical on D that's where he can help, but with so little depth behind him he looks very tentative out there.

I'll give Oberto a bit of a pass as it's early in the season and he always plays better with Manu out there with him.

Bonner. Well, Bonner isn't very good. The silver lining there is that there's an obvious target in the rotation when the rest of our bigs are back with the team.

Or if you want you can just do some creative accounting with the stat sheet.
    50 points, 27 rebounds, and 10 blocks. I feel better already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I joked all summer that Mahinmi will be the savior. The way those three bigs are playing right now, it literally might be Mahinmi or Bust.
    That may become the mantra around here, it's true. Right now we can't rebound or defend in the post.

This used to be a team that would defend the perimeter tightly and force players to drive in and meet a waiting Admiral and Tim Duncan. That defensive philosophy is long gone.

Mahinmi will probably have to be the savior, because if this team can't rebound and can't defend the paint it's not going to win. We're going to need Tony to score 50 a night just to keep it close.

As I stated in another thread, if the Spurs had their top three scorers hitting at better than 55% from the floor through 4 games in any other season we'd be sitting at 4-0 or at worst 3-1 right now. Defense is what wins for this team and to this point there is none.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whats a realistic time from for Mahinmi? Since he's young I'm hoping it won't take but a week or two to get him into game shape so they can see what they got.

I've resisted but I may have to jump on the Mahinmi bandwagon.

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it's more an indictment on how bad Bonner/Thomas have been thus far, but I actually thought Oberto did a few nice things yesterday - not all of which show up in the stat sheet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe it's more an indictment on how bad Bonner/Thomas have been thus far, but I actually thought Oberto did a few nice things yesterday - not all of which show up in the stat sheet.
    I agree. Oberto is likely going to get his minutes, and he does do a lot of the unappreciated dirty work. But he's not going to intimidate anyone defensively. That's what this team is lacking, and hopefully Mahinmi will be capable of providing a little of that.

Perhaps he can do what George Johnson did for the Spurs in the old days...block shots, defend, grab a fair number of boards, and primarily set picks, or get out on the break, on the offensive end of the floor. He won't have to be a scorer with guys like Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and, it appears, Mason on the floor, so if that part of his game is unpolished it probably won't hurt us too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. Oberto is likely going to get his minutes, and he does do a lot of the unappreciated dirty work. But he's not going to intimidate anyone defensively. That's what this team is lacking, and hopefully Mahinmi will be capable of providing a little of that.
    Exactly!!! Plus he always brings weak to the basket. Stop with the layups and finger rolls, throw it down Fab!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Mahinmi can go for 6 pts, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks a night he'll be the most statistically proficient center this team has seen since Robinson retired.

I've set lofty goals for him...I'm aware of that.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's 20 feet tall and can't dunk?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our current front line minus TD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Mahinmi can go for 6 pts, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks a night he'll be the most statistically proficient center this team has seen since Robinson retired.

I've set lofty goals for him...I'm aware of that.
    My goal for Mahinmi is for him to be 80% as good as Nazr was during the 2005 playoff run. Not exactly looking for greatness and luckily the Spurs don't need great. A live body with good athleticism who is willing to learn might be enough.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's funny that I made a "we need Mahinmi" thread last week and I got laughed at by a number of posters..it's true, we need him..if we aren't going to make a trade, we need Ian to block shots and dunk..it's the only hope for our frontcourt..

let's work on the defense though, first and foremost..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our current front line minus TD.
    Hey, yeah! That too!

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love riddles!

Hunker down you hairy Dawgs! romad_20's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What happened to those "Show Bonner some love" threads.

Our front line is pretty bad, we're undersized and un-athletic. Ian better be the second coming or we're in for a long year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's funny that I made a "we need Mahinmi" thread last week and I got laughed at by a number of posters.
    No, you made a "Mahinmi is key to our season" thread and got laughed at. If you'd just said we need him, people would have agreed with you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thomas is fairly highly regarded around the league if folks don't look at this year's performance.
    If you don't look at this year's performance being 4 games into the season? Sheesh! Give the Spurs players a break. It's a long road in an NBA season.

Thread Information