Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

Let the trash talking begin baby!! Rockets by 10!!!

TIME: 09:30 P.M. EST
    VENUE: STAPLES Center

The Los Angeles Lakers' trade for Pau Gasol in the middle of last season helped the team evolve from a contender to the favorite in the Western Conference. The Houston Rockets are hoping their offseason acquisition of Ron Artest has a similar impact.

The Lakers look to remain undefeated as they host the transitioning Rockets on Sunday night in a matchup between championship hopefuls coming off uninspired victories.

On Feb. 1, Los Angeles acquired an All-Star forward in a lopsided trade by getting Gasol from Memphis in exchange for expiring contracts and some younger, unestablished players. The move instantly put the Lakers among the favorites in the West, and the team met those expectations by advancing to the NBA finals, where it lost to Boston.

Houston was another one of the conference's top teams last season, but it couldn't overcome the absence of Yao Ming in the playoffs, getting eliminated in the first round for the sixth straight time.

With Yao fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot and Artest on board following an offseason trade with Sacramento, the Rockets expect to end that drought this season.

To do so, however, they'll need to get past a shaky start. The Rockets opened 3-0, but dropped back-to-back games before grinding out a 92-83 victory over the winless Los Angeles Clippers on Friday night.

"Even though we won tonight, it still wasn't an impressive game for the Houston Rockets," said Artest, who had 23 points to lead Houston in scoring for the first time. "We're still searching to find ourselves.
    "We haven't played good basketball yet. We need to play 48 minutes consistently. We have a long ways to go, but this was a good test for us. It's coming together and it's going to happen."

Yao is among the Houston players who are struggling, averaging 12.3 points and 7.3 rebounds over the last three games.

Though the Rockets escaped with a win Friday in their first of consecutive games at Staples Center, Artest knows they could use a more complete performance against the Lakers (4-0).

"We're trying to learn each other and find out how we're going to win together," he said. "Some nights it's just going to be different people, and we've got to get used to that. I think sometimes we just step into the arena and think we're going to win, just because of our talent. And it can happen like that. But that's not going to beat the good teams."

Though the Lakers certainly fall under that category, they didn't look like an elite club in their 106-88 win over the Clippers on Wednesday night. The Lakers trailed at halftime and shot below 40.0 percent for the second consecutive game, but they also held the Clippers to 38.9 percent shooting.

"When you don't shoot the ball well, you've got to defend," said reigning league MVP Kobe Bryant, who had 27 points and went 8-for-21 from the field. "That's what we did."

Coach Phil Jackson agreed with his star player, praising his team's ability to win when its shots weren't falling.

"The mantra is that defense wins ballgames, your offense comes and goes," said Jackson, whose team is looking for its first 5-0 start since 2003-04. "If you just rely on your offense all the time, it's going to disappoint you at some level."

The Lakers lost two of three against the Rockets last season, including their only meeting in Los Angeles in both teams' season opener. Houston's Tracy McGrady had 30 points in that game, but was held to a combined 20 points on 7-for-23 shooting in the other two meetings.

Bryant, meanwhile, averaged 33.0 points against the Rockets despite shooting 39.8 percent from the field in those three contests.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    The Lakers lost two of three against the Rockets last season, including their only meeting in Los Angeles in both teams' season opener.

we own you! Bynum is a bust!

Where Everything Happens The Franchise's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    The way we have been playing I wouldn't trash talk the Nuggets.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    meah, probably takes the first 7-10 games to gel. After that they should be good to go. Only play about 25-30 games in college and if you can't gel after the first quarter of the season then you are toast. These guys should be able to figure it out right about now. Be funny when our west coastie friends wake up and start reading this thread.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

YOU WILL LOSE!

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Rockets are NOT ready.
    no amount of "trash talk" will change that.

Fakers win by 15

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    In other news as reported by Rotoworld

Nov. 6th.

Shane Battier (foot) is reportedly close to being able to practice again.

He is already doing shooting drills and strength exercises, but has not been cleared by team doctors to participate in practice. That could change early next week.

What do you want to bet that Shane is in the lineup against the Lakers?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    close game and kobe closes it out at the end. lakers by 6

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lakers win.

Best Nuggets Troll Ever NuGGeTs-FaN's Avatar
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    i think the Lakers will win, but ill go for the Rockets for 2 reasons -

1) for some stupid reason, i decided to draft Tmac, Yao and Artest in one fantasy league.

2) Don't want any western teams staying undefeated and running away with the West.

I think they are valid reasons.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Rockets have a nice squad but I still think they need a dictator type of coach. Pop, PJ, and Sloan get results for a reason. I know Rockets fans may disagree but Avery would fit in nicely for Houston.
    Avery was a "dictator" no doubt.
    But his voice is sooo damn annoying!

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    i think the Lakers will win, but ill go for the Rockets for 2 reasons -

1) for some stupid reason, i decided to draft Tmac, Yao and Artest in one fantasy league.

2) Don't want any western teams staying undefeated and running away with the West.

I think they are valid reasons.
    Thats so crazy, it JUST MIGHT WORK!

Someone get DarMo on the phone!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The Lakers lost two of three against the Rockets last season, including their only meeting in Los Angeles in both teams' season opener.

we own you! Bynum is a bust!
    Bynum wants to cement himself as the best young big man in the league
    Pau will make the Rockets want to give Scola back to the Spurs

Rockets fodder today will increase the Lakers average 20 pont win differential.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    In other news as reported by Rotoworld

Nov. 6th.

Shane Battier (foot) is reportedly close to being able to practice again.

He is already doing shooting drills and strength exercises, but has not been cleared by team doctors to participate in practice. That could change early next week.

What do you want to bet that Shane is in the lineup against the Lakers?
    I'll take that bet. Shane will not be in today's lineup.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Analysis: Rockets trainer Keith Jones said he believed Francis needs to test the knee with the additional work. "All he's done is drill work and played pick-up ball," Jones said. "But he has not done anything (organized) since last season. He needs this." Francis is a long shot to be a significant factor with the team this season.
    I agree with that part, 100%.
    Francis is done. All of his leapfroggin' has worn out his knees.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    yeah..that screwed him up...here's the last interview he gave to the press on Sept. 19th. I think he was a bit optomistic on his timing to return. Doctors say 1 year to recover from this type of surgery.

I think he'll be back..he's chomping at the bit to return. Just can't get over the hump and the doctors and trainers of the Rockets are not going to clear him medically to play until he passes certain metrics as far as strength, range of motion and being pain free. Minor set back two weeks ago with the head cold and he couldn't practice so that probably set him back at least one week.

He should be in full contract drills now that it's November and by December he should be playing again. Just imagine if we had the healthy original Francis back come playoff time

Friday September 19, 2008 2:41 PM
    Five Minutes with Steve Francis

Fan-favorite hoping for bounce back season after injury-plagued year

Rockets fans are hoping to see more of a smiling Steve Francis this season.

Jason Friedman
    Rockets.com Staff Writer

HOUSTON - The draft is done. The free agent frenzy and Olympics are, too. Preseason is still a couple weeks away. Yep, we've officially entered hoops hibernation.
    So to get you through the basketball void, Rockets.com will spend the next few weeks catching up with various members of the team to find out what they've been up to this summer. The tour continues today as we chat with Steve Francis.
    JCF: First things first: I gotta tell you - I get more emails about you and your comeback from injury than I do about any other player on the team. It's unreal. Do you have any idea how many people are interested in you and how you're doing?
    SF: I think it's because this is where I began my career. I've grown to love Houston, the Rockets and everybody. And it's overwhelming and it feels great knowing that I have the opportunity to make this team better.
    JCF: So let's get right to the question everybody wants to know: Everyone wants to find out if we're going to see the old Steve Francis again. How are you doing physically?
    SF: I'm not going to sit here and say I'm 100% because I'm not. I still have a ways to go. It's going to be a tough process, but I'm willing to sacrifice. Even if I don't start the season, I know within the next three or four weeks I'll be 100%. I don't want to go out there if I'm not 100% and possibly re-injure myself.
    JCF: So you're looking at another three or four weeks until you're 100%, or before you can go full-out on the court?
    SF: Before I can go full-out. The surgery I had, they say it normally takes people about a year to come back. I'm at month six and hopefully within the next three to four weeks I'll be ready to go. - Can you say totally over optimistic of him?
    JCF: What have you been able to do during the summer?
    SF: I've just been rehabbing and I just really started hitting the court about two weeks ago. I wasn't playing, I was just swimming and doing things like that. It's been a process and I made a schedule for myself so I don't try to rush myself to get back because that's what hurt me last time.
    JCF: So you have a personal trainer?
    SF: I have my own trainer, Anthony Falsone. Me and Yao use the same trainer and he's been doing a good job.
    JCF: And basically all you've been able to do cardio-wise is swimming so far?
    SF: Swimming, yeah. Nothing pounding because obviously, if you ask any doctor, that would re-injure it before it gets better.
    JCF: So you feel like cardio is the biggest thing holding you back right now?
    SF: Stamina, yeah, because I haven't played in like eight months. It's tough, but I'm a fighter and I'm fighting through it.
    JCF: You said doctors say it typically takes about a year to get back to full-strength. Do you feel like it's likely you'll be more of a factor in the second half of the season, because it's just unrealistic you'll be able to come flying right out of the gate?
    SF: Hopefully. I mean, I'm realistic. I don't know. I just have to get here and get going in training camp and practice. But as you can see, I've been working my [butt] off. I lost ten pounds. Last year, they said I was too fat. Now I'm 195 pounds, so there's really nothing else I can do to get my stamina back.
    JCF: So is that the weight you're hoping to stay at?
    SF: Hopefully (laughs). I'll try.
    JCF: I guess it's tough when you can't do too much running around?
    SF: Exactly.
    JCF: Have you been able to do any weight-lifting?
    SF: Yeah, I've been lifting here and there. But like I said, man, I'm gonna be ready.
    JCF: What do you see your role being with this team?
    SF: I'll know once I get to training camp. I just have to prove it there, even if I don't do the contact drills. Once I get an opportunity and a chance to get out there, I'm definitely going to do a lot.
    JCF: I asked Rafer and Aaron this same question, so I'll ask you as well: When you look around and see the weapons this team has with guys like Artest and Barry joining Yao, T-Mac and Scola, I feel like it's got to be a point guard's dream come true. Does that provide motivation for you to get back out there?
    SF: It does. I think that we're all competing to do the same thing. I think it'll be good - it's like every position we have by committee. We have three guys who can come in and give you this amount of minutes and be successful.
    JCF: Now there are a ton of doubters out there with regard to your ability to come back. How do they affect you?
    SF: I don't even worry about that.
    JCF: What about the people who say you've already made your money so the fire is gone?
    SF: Right. I don't even worry about it. I've been getting paid for ten years, so it aint about the money, you know what I'm saying? It's about me getting out there and being able to play.
    JCF: Considering everything you've gone through the last few years, has that re-ignited your passion to play?
    SF: All I do is look at old tapes all day. I look at old tapes of myself and other players and that fuels me right there.
    Have a comment, critique or suggestion for Rockets.com? Contact Jason Friedman via email at: [email protected]
    Last edited by Indazone; 11-09-2008 at 12:28 PM.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Rockets Lakers Rivalry Dates back to Showtime Lakers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockets-lakers_rivalry

Unbeaten Lakers welcome Rockets to town

Sun 9th, November 2008
    (Sports Network) - The undefeated Los Angeles Lakers are well rested and will host the Houston Rockets tonight in a battle between Western Conference powerhouses at the Staples Center.

The Lakers are 4-0 on the season and haven't played since beating the local Los Angeles Clippers, 106-88, on Wednesday. Reigning NBA MVP Kobe Bryant scored a game-high 27 points and shot just 8-of-21 from the field. Lamar Odom and Derek Fisher netted 15 and 13 points, respectively, in the win.

Andrew Bynum scored nine points and grabbed a game-high 17 rebounds while Pau Gasol added nine points and 11 boards for the Lakers, who have beaten their intra-city rivals six straight times.

Houston will resume its five-game road trip on Sunday and ended a two-game losing streak with Friday's 92-83 triumph over the Los Angeles Clippers at the Staples Center.

New Houston forward Ron Artest netted 23 points and pulled down eight boards to help the Rockets, who snapped a modest two-game skid after starting the 2008-09 season with three straight wins.

Carl Landry scored 20 points and grabbed nine rebounds while Yao Ming ended with 16 points, nine rebounds and five blocks in the win. Houston is 1-1 on the trip and will also visit Phoenix and San Antonio on the current swing.

On the injury front for the Rockets, Yao is probable for tonight's game with a bruised right knee and forward Shane Battier (foot/ankle) is questionable. Yao is fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot a year ago.

Houston won two of three games against the Lakers last season and has won four of the past five matchups.

The Rockets have won two straight and four of six as the visitor in this series.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Rockets should provide a big test for Lakers
    By Broderick Turner
    OK, so the Lakers' season opener against the Portland Trail Blazers wasn't the test many figured it would be.

Now the Lakers move on to their toughest test to date when they play the Houston Rockets on Sunday night at Staples Center.

The Lakers are 4-0 and considered among the best teams in the NBA, one capable of winning the NBA championship.

The Rockets are 4-2 and considered a team with the right mix to compete for a le.

"They're a good team," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said. "They're deep and they are experienced. . . . They'll be a real challenge for us."

The Lakers have won by an average of 20.7 points. The Rockets' four victories are by an average of 10.5 points.

"I think it's a good opportunity for both teams to just continue to gauge where we each are," Lakers guard Derek Fisher said. "It's way too early to start aligning the stars and saying who's going to do what and accomplish what. But four or five games into the season, I think it's a very good matchup."

Houston has Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming and Ron Artest, a big three of sorts.

"It's a good opportunity, and for it to be on our home court first is good," Fisher said. "Hopefully, we kind of shake off some of the rust and get the kinks out and really be ready to play at a playoff level, because Houston is going to come out and play hard. They are going to play intense."

The addition of Artest, whom the Rockets acquired from the Sacramento Kings in August, gives Houston a big-time defender against Kobe Bryant.

"I think it's our first really big challenge out there," Lakers center Andrew Bynum said. "They have a lot of guys who are capable of doing well the same way as we do."

Jackson said Artest is a "stopper" on defense.

The Rockets have a second stopper too.

At 7 feet, 285 pounds, Bynum usually is the tallest and longest player on the court.

Not so against the Rockets.

Bynum will be looking up at 7-6, 310-pound Yao.

"I normally can out-reach people," Bynum said. "That's something I'm not going to be able to get away with, so you've got to change it up a bit. On the defensive end, you got to try to keep him as far from the basket as possible. He's got the fade-away, which makes him tougher."

Yao is averaging 17.3 points and 9.3 rebounds a game.

Bynum said Yao poses a big challenge.

"It changes the game because you could play good [defense] but he could still turn around and shoot the ball," Bynum said. "You just kind of want to get him out of his comfort zone, body him up a lot and run him."

Best Nuggets Troll Ever NuGGeTs-FaN's Avatar
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    Going to be pretty fun

Artest on Kobe

Ming vs Bynum

Pau vs Scola

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Going to be pretty fun

Artest on Kobe

Ming vs Bynum

Pau vs Scola
    Word, those are some "intriguing" matchups.

I fully expect Pau and Scola to take this game personally, like a Spain vs Argentina matchup.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    how come Lakers had 3 days of rest before this game? talk about easy scheduling.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    how come Lakers had 3 days of rest before this game? talk about easy scheduling.
    The schedule gods were trying to help the Rockets.

Lakers usually come out flat after a long layoff, that's my early game concern.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I watched that game on your sig....and I agree.
    that was a dirty play.

As far as the scheduling goes, it all evens out.
    they all have to play 82 games in the same time frame.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    The schedule gods were trying to help the Rockets.

Lakers usually come out flat after a long layoff, that's my early game concern.
    dont concern yourself.
    Houston isnt ready for this game.
    they will lose.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Game Links for tonight

http://www.justin.tv/lasn

http://www.justin.tv/lev_20

http://atdhe.net/live-tv-333.html

mms://wm1-cm.edgestreams.net/d7/64/d7643a6702d541614fb327496553e26f-49152a85.asf?auth=caEc2aedDauaJcYcAajdAbIcAbsdIamd AaV-bjfTDo-eS-Jve&aifp=0001

Sopcast Channel 6002

or

http://www.gigstreams.com/cctv5_tv_online.htm

http://freetube.110mb.com/index.php?view=7Y2N0djU

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm?http://w...nnels/7025.htm

http://www.livewtv.com/sports/cctv5.htm

Thread Information