Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if james gist was really told by pop/spurs to develop for a year in europe... does that mean his roster spot is nearly (barring injuries or suckiness) guaranteed? and if so, how long do you guys think his contract will be and how does it affect the 2010 plan?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least 2 years, really cheap. Maybe four, still cheap. If he turns out to be good, it would help the 2010 plan by locking up a quality player on a rookie contract. ChumpDumper said this elsewhere, but the Spurs probably sent Gist to Europe just to avoid his being a FA in 2010. Shrewd, if true.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    EDIT: Uh, yeah -- what I said.

I'll just add that there are no guarantees.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In order:
    No.
    He's a second rounder so it won't be a big contract or a long contract, or even necessarily fully guaranteed. The Spurs won't do anything to affect 2010 unless someone wants to part with high level young talent, lottery talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way this guy is playing, he might be guaranteed of an invitation for the summer league.

Not necessarily the NBA summer league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way this guy is playing, he might be guaranteed of an invitation for the summer league.

Not necessarily the NBA summer league.
    Do you have his stats? Is he playing poorly?
    How similar are Gist and Tolliver; can either of them play the small forward spot (are they fast enough)?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have his stats? Is he playing poorly?
    How similar are Gist and Tolliver; can either of them play the small forward spot (are they fast enough)?
    He's playing alright. Search this site, and you'll find the info you seek.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's averaging like 12 pts, 6 reb and 1 blk in 30 minutes after six games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's averaging like 12 pts, 6 reb and 1 blk in 30 minutes after six games.
    Not bad for a rookie just beginning. I'd bet that he easily makes the Spurs next year. I see Gist being the type of big/small forward combo kind of player who can defend the perimeter well, as well as board and block shots. What ever offense he produces is just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. I haven't seen a prospect like this on a Spurs team in a long time. I am very intrigued by Gist's potential for the Spurs in the next few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesnt euro points translate to even more points in the NBA, or did I remember that incorrectly?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know. Sharrod Ford was completely owning his first four games, including one against Gist's team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesnt euro points translate to even more points in the NBA, or did I remember that incorrectly?
    I don't believe there is an exchange rate on basketball points...

Although the 3pt line is a bit closer in Europe.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    euro games = 40 minutes
    nba games = 48 minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for trying, Danilo, and Gino. Let me put it this way: I know Hollinger or somebody has an equation, because there are less touches in Europe ball or something, so players score more in the NBA, or vice versa. I hope it's the 1st one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest difference is that you play a lot of zone defense, which can be a huge problem for the playground-type, one-on-one maniacs.

Gist is doing OK, on a bad team in a weak regional tournament, with no Euroleague exposure.
    He is third in scoring and second in rebounding on his own team. He has the tendency to be in foul trouble.
    He leads the league in dunks, though; note that dunks are still worth 2 points in Europe.

Overall, there are at least 15/20 bigs that are better than him in the Italian league right now. Some of them are young.

To put things in perspective, a 23/24 years old Manu played for the best team, was undisputed MVP in a much more compe ive environment back then, with lots of very serious Eulogeague games played and won.

On the bright side, Gist can easily improve and his at ude seems to be quite right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dunks are still worth 2 point in Europe???

what a joke

Can't Start Threads Kill_Bill_Pana's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes points, rebounds, especially assists is much higher.

12 point and 6 rebound is not bad for Italian League.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest difference is that you play a lot of zone defense, which can be a huge problem for the playground-type, one-on-one maniacs.

Gist is doing OK, on a bad team in a weak regional tournament, with no Euroleague exposure.
    He is third in scoring and second in rebounding on his own team. He has the tendency to be in foul trouble.
    He leads the league in dunks, though; note that dunks are still worth 2 points in Europe.

Overall, there are at least 15/20 bigs that are better than him in the Italian league right now. Some of them are young.

To put things in perspective, a 23/24 years old Manu played for the best team, was undisputed MVP in a much more compe ive environment back then, with lots of very serious Eulogeague games played and won.

On the bright side, Gist can easily improve and his at ude seems to be quite right.
    Very few American rookies from college are able to be top players in Europe. It just is not possible for them. Americans believe these "scrubs" dominate there but is nonsense. He is doing about normal probably. Even Italian League is much higher level than us college.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very few American rookies from college are able to be top players in Europe. It just is not possible for them. Americans believe these "scrubs" dominate there but is nonsense. He is doing about normal probably. Even Italian League is much higher level than us college.
    i have to agree there... the scrubs end up in South America or similar level leagues...

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    euro games = 40 minutes
    nba games = 48 minutes
    30 minutes in Euro games = 30 minutes in NBA games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Gist is taking his time because if he unleashes the beast he might take all the NBA fans away and make the euroleague the league to watch. James Gist has all of you in mind. Remember that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    30 minutes in Euro games = 30 minutes in NBA games
    Games are average 60-70 points scored most of times in Europe. Stats cannot be look at in same way at all.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just saw James Gist's second blog is up. He mentions the loss of his grandmother as well as breaking a backboard when he returned to Italy after the funeral.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/Grandma/391410

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's doing well, not earth-shattering, but well in Italy's A-league.

in 7 games:

30.1 min
    12.6 pts
    60.4% fg
    22.2% 3pt
    70.6% ft
    6.0 reb
    2.1 off
    0.3 ast
    3.4 pf
    1.7 stl
    1.3 blk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would anyone else like to see him in Tolliver's spot? In fact I would LOVE to see him next to Tim Duncan.

Thread Information