San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew that one game @ Suns was a fluke

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's worse than a joke.

Hedo>Barry

Honestly, I would rather have Hedo. I have officially given up on Brent Barry. The season is almost over and aside from maybe 2-3 games that I can think of out of the 60 some games we've played, he has sucked big time. Tonight was his time to show up. He freaking played 36 minutes, and missed almost every shot and did nothing on offense or defense. He could score 30 pts in the next game, and I still would not be impressed with him.

At least with Hedo, he could play some defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    37mins 5pts 5rbs 2assts 2/7 shooting...
    as i'm euro i dont get to see the game...
    what was he making for 37mins???
    was he just standing there yelling "win this one tony win this one!"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully Pop keeps Wilks (kid really showed me something tonight) and leaves Barry off the playoff roster....it's gotten that bad.

I like boobs a lot! Slo spurs fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't belive it, but I agree with DuncanMVP on this!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't belive it, but I agree with DuncanMVP on this!
    have to agree too damn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very True Walton. ing Mike Wilks>>>Barry tonight. Wilks was on IR for the last 6 or so games, has played maybe 5 games all season and he came out with more energy and fire than Barry. Unreal.

I would leave Barry out of the playoff roster... unreal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    could you remind me barry salary? *cough* 4M+ a year? *cough*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very True Walton. ing Mike Wilks>>>Barry tonight. Wilks was on IR for the last 6 or so games, has played maybe 5 games all season and he came out with more energy and fire than Barry. Unreal.

I would leave Barry out of the playoff roster... unreal.
    BARRY,will WIN playoff games for us and everyone will forget what he did during the season.MARK THE TAPE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he rested a whole season ... sure he'll be full health for the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still rather have him than hedo. hedo is a waste of space.

Dos Equis
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this guy a big underachiever or what? Dude can have all the fundamental skills in the world and he can't contribute on a consistent basis. What's with all the hestiating threes, WTF is this guy in their if he doesn't shoot. When was the last time he shot one inside the arc that wasn't a layup?

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Face it, some people need the ball in their hands to get comfortable out there, Barry is one of them, but in our offense he rarely does unless it's on a kickout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we are starting to see some problems from having to many good guys. All the players know that if they screw up one time the can be benched. I think that is causing some of them to play scared. Look at Wilks, what did he have to lose? nothing and he came out and played that way. I remember portland going through this in the nineties when they had so much talent that a lot of the reserves could not get consistent minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is evidence that the players we've traded for in the past few years just don't thrive in Pop's system. It's not just as simple as saying this player sucks or that player sucks.

Barry's fg% has dropped an entire 9% from just last year with Seattle. That is huge. How does a player's game just drop off a cliff like that? This is a guard who shot 50% last year which is a feat most guards never achieve in their entire career. He's not starting this year and is averaging 10 less mpg. Can that alone really be the difference?

Hedo this year is shooting .15% better (still significant) with the Magic than with us last year and is averaging almost 5 ppg more with the same minutes played. Why?

Here are Charlie Ward's numbers before and after he joined us last year.
    Code:
    YEAR TEAM G GS  MPG   FG%  3P%  FT%  OFF  DEF  RPG  APG  SPG  BPG   TO    PF    PPG 
    03-04 NYK 35 10 23.6 .442 .428 .762 .30 2.50  2.70  4.9  1.34  .23  1.97  2.10  8.7 
    03-04 SAS 36 0 11.8  .346 .368 .667 .10 1.30  1.30  1.3  .47  .08  .75   .90   3.3
    I'm not absolving any of these players of blame but doesn't the evidence suggest that part of the problem might lie with Pop's system/coaching and how well he integrates players with different strengths into his system?

In my view, it takes a very special type of player to thrive in Pop's system; someone who's extremely disciplined and mentally tough enough to survive Pop's wrath but who's also able to not completely bend to his will and compromise the natural strength in their game just to placate him.

Manu is a perfect case in point but it still required his enormous talent to let Pop loosen the reins. Daniels is a perfect case of Pop's dominance destroying a player. Now look at how Antonio's game is thriving in Seattle. Coincidence?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Face it, some people need the ball in their hands to get comfortable out there, Barry is one of them, but in our offense he rarely does unless it's on a kickout.
    agreed. Man Aggie I find myself agreeing with a lot of your posts lately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my view, it takes a very special type of player to thrive in Pop's system; someone who's extremely disciplined and mentally tough enough to survive Pop's wrath but who's also able to not completely bend to his will and compromise the natural strength in their game just to placate him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. If only Fegan wasn't such a jackass.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like you're getting smarter kskonn

TwoHandJam with the nice breakdown, as usual.

I think Pop's whole militaryesque "play D or you'll never play for me" style breaks good role players.

Look at Barry earlier this year, he was actually playing decent, then got yanked for bad D.

Some guys you just have to accept their D is gonna suck and take what they give you, which in the case of Barry should be 3-4 threes a night to open the floor for Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully barry's experience will allow him to hang in their and not get down on himself. I really see him having that one moment in the playoffs where he really has an effect, Steve Kerr style. Hopefully he won't have beat up on himself to much by the time that rolls around.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jaren Jackson + Colt 44 in 2005 > Brent Barry

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. If only Fegan wasn't such a jackass.
    But SJax would be complaining about not being a starter. Unless he could force Bowen to the bench and play some 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jaren Jackson + Colt 44 in 2005 > Brent Barry

I have no idea what that means, exactly.

But she-yit, Colt 45 > MJ in 1992.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol... I meant Colt 45.

That means Jaren Jackson after drinking beer and out of the NBA for 3 years is better than Barry.

That dude just plain sucks. Jimmy Jackson is an allstar compared to him. Pop is a ing idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol... I meant Colt 45.

That means Jaren Jackson after drinking beer and out of the NBA for 3 years is better than Barry.

That dude just plain sucks. Jimmy Jackson is an allstar compared to him. Pop is a ing idiot.

That was clever.

Thread Information