Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ginobili offers laptop to fuming airman
    Scott Huddleston - Express-News

Air Force Maj. Tobin Griffeth was fuming this week that the Spurs' Manu Ginobili “took my computer!”

But there'll be a happy ending to the major's thwarted quest for a laptop he can use to teleconference with his wife and two boys while in Afghanistan for six months — his first lengthy deployment.

The Best Buy at the Forum, where he was promised an Asus Eee PC Netbook, has vowed to find a similar laptop. If it can't, Ginobili said through a spokesman that he'll return his, so Griffeth can have it.

Mic e Griffeth was happy to learn Ginobili didn't know she and her husband had dibs on the Asus when the Spurs guard and Time Warner pitchman bought it.

“I was hoping that was the case. He's my son's hero,” she said.

Tavin Griffeth, 16, goes by the nickname “Manu” when playing basketball with his friends because he's left-handed and has a style of play that resembles Ginobili's, his mother said. The Griffeths' other son, Terrin, is 11.

Maj. Griffeth, a lawyer at Randolph AFB, said the 3.2-pound laptop was to be an early gift for his 41st birthday. It has a seven-hour battery and is small enough for the war zone.

He said he wasn't in uniform at the store Saturday, but told employees how he hoped to use the unit. The store gave the couple a “rain check” for the last one in stock.

When he returned on Monday, the $349 laptop had been sold to Ginobili. Best Buy employees told the major, set to deploy by June 1, that he could drive to their store in Laredo or wait 45 days for another Asus.

Maj. Griffeth said he blamed Best Buy, not Ginobili, for the mix-up.

“I think they went goo-goo-gah-gah because of who he is,” he said.

A Best Buy manager declined to discuss the matter but said the store would help the Griffeths find a similar laptop. The Spurs, meanwhile, have offered the family tickets to Tuesday's game against Dallas.

Ginobili was shocked to learn of the Griffeths' situation and feels badly about it, Spurs spokesman Tom James said.

“Manu apologizes for any stress or inconvenience this may have caused,” James said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The shift key location on those sucks.

Battery life is awesome though.

In Manu we STILL trust! rayray2k8's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's with the 2 heads in you sig?
    siamese twins?
    would have been better to just leave dirk heads there.
    with a "who's dirty now?" comments.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly is so special about this laptop? if it costs $349 it must not be that special. I mean, that's pretty damn cheap in terms of laptop price standards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's with the 2 heads in you sig?
    siamese twins?
    would have been better to just leave dirk heads there.
    with a "who's dirty now?" comments.

Trust me, I wanted to leave Dirk's head only, but I had to cover the remaining of the " original " guy's face. I could have expanded Dirk's head, but it would have been way too big for the body.
    So I thought adding Hasslehof's head would help to cover up the rest of the face, and I came up with the Siamese Twins idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well done Manu.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What exactly is so special about this laptop? if it costs $349 it must not be that special. I mean, that's pretty damn cheap in terms of laptop price standards.
    It's just a netbook, but apparently pretty popular.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow. my friend just told me he was helping find manu a laptop about a week ago, he works a best buy... what a coincidence

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The store gave the couple a “rain check” for the last one in stock.

This makes little sense. If it was in stock, wouldn't he have bought it on Saturday? Why would he be returning on Monday to buy it? And a rain check does not guarantee availability on a certain date- only the price when it is available. Also, the store should never release to a customer who bought something from them.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, the store should never release to a customer who bought something from them.
    That struck me as wrong too. Was it just because it was Manu and everyone involved is hyping on that? Or do they release every customers name to anyone?

If you can't slam with the best then jam with the rest sabar's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was the first netbook; a minature laptop with a small screen, very long battery life, and a minimal operating system (linux = free). They have windows now and higher prices than before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best Buy is absolute garbage. They are always the most expensive electronic retail store and the things they try to force on you to buy is stupid. When I worked there I had (and still dont have) no idea why people flock to this place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    manu... windows and cheapass laptops! get a in' mac.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best Buy is absolute garbage. They are always the most expensive electronic retail store and the things they try to force on you to buy is stupid. When I worked there I had (and still dont have) no idea why people flock to this place.
    yeah they tried to get my boss to let geeksquad fix and clean viruses off the computer we were buying at that very moment... wtf? brand new, shouldn't need to be fixed, and shouldn't have any viruses on it to begin with. oh wait, windows comes preinstalled, so i guess there was a huge virus on that comp.

anyhow best buy sucks !

Spurs Fanatic
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad to know that Best Buy doesn't really care about the privacy of their customers. They should've never told him that Manu ended up buying it. That information should've never been leaked out. Nice of Manu to accomadate and try to make it right and hey you can never go wrong with free Spurs tickets to the playoffs instead from that .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. I believe Best Buy is still touting the "MONSTER Cables", which are the biggest waste of money you could ever spend on an entertainment center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice gesture.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu should just get a Macbook

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here we go with the MAC smack talk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu should just get a Macbook
    agreed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here we go with the MAC smack talk.

are we talking about makeup cause i wasnt aware...?

and really you should say "Here we go with the OSX vs WinBLOWS smack talk". cause to say anything different would be like saying "Here we go with the Apple Mac vs Dell vs Gateway vs HP vs etc.... smack talk". symantics!

i mean come on... manu is rich and should buy a quality product considering he has the dough to do so. windows machines are not quality products, well at least not the OS. do yourself a favor manu and get a mac. anything less is just a headache unless of course it's linux but that's a headache too but well worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember a magazine test that used something like a coat hanger wire and was just about as good as Monster cables lol.
    are these the huge wires they sell for speaker systems? i remember some back when i went to bjorns a long ass time ago and i thought, "damn what the ? those actually make that much of a difference and for like $50 more then regular ass wires?".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That netbook is maybe the hottest commodity for armed forces ppl.

Manu should get a Mac. He can afford to pay for a grossly overpriced computer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That struck me as wrong too. Was it just because it was Manu and everyone involved is hyping on that? Or do they release every customers name to anyone?
    I agree with you and Ploto that Manu's name should not have been released.

Thread Information