Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Seeing that this is the likely matchup, what are your thoughts on this series?

I think the keys for the Mavericks are...

1. Josh Howard keeping this level of play up
    2. Containing J.R. Smith
    3. Dirk drawing double teams or fouls

I think matchup's favor the Mavs.

Kidd can handle Billups quite well.

Barea and Jones both present matchup problems for each other. Probably a wash. Or the Mavs may have to go back to starting Wright.

If Howard keeps this level of play up, he should be able to do a solid job on Carmello, and make Carmello work on the other end.

Dirk will pull K-Mart or Anderson (whomever ends up on him) and their shot-blocking abilities out of the middle, making the interior defense of the even worse than it already is.

I think Damp should be able to handle Nene, especially after how well he played against Duncan.

Offensive strategy: Considering how crappy the Nuggets defense is in general, and with Dirk creating huge problems by pulling out the only threats they have for interior defense, Barea and Howard should be able to get inside frequently yet again this series. Dirk is going to need to take a few more shots this series, especially if they try to put a small guy on him. Dirk needs to demand double teams in this series as he did in the Spurs series. If he doesn't get those double teams, he needs to torch whomever is trying to guard him, working at drawing fouls on them and trying to get their shot-blockers out of the game, to open up the interior even more for Barea and Howard.

Defensive strategy: The Mavs are going to have to mix some zone defense in again to keep Carmello out of the paint. This is why it is so vital that they are aware of J.R. Smith and his whereabouts AT ALL TIMES. They cannot let this guy torch them again like he did the last time they played. If they do not contain J.R. Smith, this may be a short series, resulting in the Nuggets advancing easily. Having Kidd and Howard back should help the Mavs quite a bit on defense. It might help to play Hollins a little more, as he doesn't have to worry about the veteran savvy of Timmy getting him in foul trouble. His athleticism will be a MAJOR asset to match the athleticism that the Nuggets present.

Coaching: Carlisle >>>>>>>>>>>> Karl. Nuff said.

Intangibles: Carmello is a known playoff choker. However, Billups helps the maturity of a young, mentally shaky team that relies on offense and athleticism. However, I think the Mavs playoff experience, and vets in Kidd, Dirk, and Terry will give the Mavs the edge in this area.

My pick: Mavs in 6.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I predict is Mavs choking and not winning a le this year or any other year until the end of time. Mav fan knows that too.

Belive that.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    i don't expect the mavs to win it all. i think the Cavs are going to. i just want to see the mavs do as well as possible, and show some guts and fight hard (instead of playing like pussies as they have previously). hopefully they can make a couple moves next year and bring shaq to town to get them in a better position to compete for a le.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Nuggets won season series 4-0 but key players missed multiple games

The only game in which both teams were completely healthy was the 1st meeting right after the Billups trade and Nuggets won by 3 in Denver...

Game 1: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore...gid=2008110707

Game 2: Josh's 1st game back from injury plays only 14min, Nuggets win 98-88
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore...gid=2008121506

Game 3: No Josh/No Melo, Nuggets win on 2FT by Billups on phantom foul call with 2.2 sec left
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore...gid=2009011307

Game 4: No Kidd/Josh, No Nene....Nuggets win by 2
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore...gid=2009032706

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Nugs in 6

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Denver in 6 or less.

Denver is too tough inside for Dallas and will make it more difficult for the Mavs to rebound and get 2nd chance points. Billups is playing extremely well. Denver also has a solid bench that should at least match what the Mavs did against the Spurs.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Based on the regular season series, Mavs fans should have no reason to believe that the Mavs will win this series. Because the data doesn't lie.

However, there's always an opportunity to be proved differently.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Based on the regular season series, Mavs fans should have no reason to believe that the Mavs will win this series. Because the data doesn't lie.
    Not really. Lots of injuries, more-so on the Mavs side. Games constantly down to the wire. Regular season stats were very misleading.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I think Denver is just too long and athletic for Dallas, and they have HCA...but we are playing our best ball of the season and pretty much all of the games went down to the wire. It doesn't bode well that we couldn't avoid the sweep though.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The Antoine Wright/JR Smith matchup should be interesting considering all the things that went on between them this season

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not really. Lots of injuries, more-so on the Mavs side. Games constantly down to the wire. Regular season stats were very misleading.
    If and's, if's and but's were candy and nuts, then we'd all have a Merry Christmas! :-)

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I think Denver is just too long and athletic for Dallas, and they have HCA...but we are playing our best ball of the season and pretty much all of the games went down to the wire. It doesn't bode well that we couldn't avoid the sweep though.
    Thats why Denver will mostly win the series....if JR Smith plays like ass, Mavs got a shot

Believe.
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    You dont KNOW they were misleading because you dont know the end result. Stop making assumptions. You suspect and HOPE that they are misleading. One series win and the homerism starts to show.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You dont KNOW they were misleading because you dont know the end result. Stop making assumptions. You suspect and HOPE that they are misleading.
    LOL funny coming from the "If Amare wasn't hurt we would have won the le!" and "If Amare wasn't suspended we would have won the le!" Sun Fan crowd.

Great Length
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I think Denver wins in five but I wish the Mavs could pull this series out somehow.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Nene is a bad matchup for Damp, he is too quick and athletic

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If JR Smith continues to hit 2007 Warriors type shots like he's been doing all season, the Mavs will be gone quickly. Nuggets are the most athletic team in the league and the Mavs struggle with these kinds of teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nuggets in 5...6 at the most. The Nuggets just have too many weapons now for Dallas. Billups, Melo, J.R. Smith, and athletic bigs in Nene and Martin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nuggets win 4-2

...........see ya at choke canyon with the Spurs in a few weeks!!!!

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You dont KNOW they were misleading because you dont know the end result. Stop making assumptions. You suspect and HOPE that they are misleading. One series win and the homerism starts to show.
    Goes both ways. Since those guys weren't there... you don't KNOW that those games were accurate because you don't know the end result of both squads going at it when healthy.

ing dumb .

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    spurs and mavs will meet up soon to go fishing TEXAS STYLE!

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You got Mavs are done son. We gonna choke you muh ers down till you beg us to stop. We stompin on yo ass
    Your sig is hilarious. Nuggets and are two things that don't belong together.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I'll use the same reasoning i did when they first got him. THEY HAVE BILLUPS. The nuggets are scary as , even though we beat them 3-1 during the reg season i am almost certain billups would kick our asses too if we ever had to play him.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'll use the same reasoning i did when they first got him. THEY HAVE BILLUPS. The nuggets are scary as , even though we beat them 3-1 during the reg season i am almost certain billups would kick our asses too if we ever had to play him.
    Jason Kidd is far and away a better defender than Chris Paul is. And Chauncey is one of the few pg's who doesn't have a quickness advantage over Kidd.

Thread Information