...He used to be so cold blooded.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I think he needs more MIN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't you think it's hard to be cold-blooded in the first 5 games of the season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we really need to wait till next season?
    Now, joking aside, he simply struggles mightly as a PG, and his defense probably ranked among the worst tonight. We'll see if he finds a niche and improves now that Tony is out and he should get some extra minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet you never thought Matt Bonner would be a Spur this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I definitely think if he is not traded this year, it will be his last year anyway with the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see both he and Finley gone, but it will never happen..hopefully we can settle for 1 of them being taken off the roster or at least out of the rotation..

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see both he and Finley gone, but it will never happen..hopefully we can settle for 1 of them being taken out..
    And considering Pop's man crush on Finley, Mason will most likely be the one to go.

Finley's shot does seem to be hot.....for now.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RMJ Jr is a hall of famer...stfu

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet you never thought Matt Bonner would be a Spur this year.
    no, but according T Park he should have his jersey retired as a Spur

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to agree w/iilluzion on this one. Mase used to be our starting shooting guard. Bogans is a decent defender, but we need someone like Mase to start the 2 spot, that way, if he's hot, we've got someone to hit the spot 3 point shots from the start, if not, bring Manu in the be that spark off the bench. Finley or Bogans shouldn't be starting in my opinion, but hey, that's me...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These threads are ing weak. What is wrong with you people? Use your spurstalk page to post your independent one-liner thoughts. Jesus.

Roger Mason started last season with an unrealistic god-like 3point percentage, and ended the season with a handful of game-winning shots. Teams adjusted to him before the playoffs began and we all saw his production steadily decrease. We saw Pop force him be PG and he withdrew more and more. What we are seeing is that same player (imagine that) also faced with Pop trying to dish out more subs than a fat guy that works at subway. He went through stretches last year where he missed his open threes you know.

When he goes through a predictable 14ish game streak being 50% from 3point land, I can only imagine how many "RMJ ownz" threads there will be.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he seems to be as streaky as finley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the inconsistent minutes are hurting him; I can't for the life of me figure out why Pop didn't have him starting, considering he was hitting every freaking shot for us last year. Not just game winners either, he was a great shooter throughout the season.

I'm hoping Pop tries him in the starting lineup for a few games to see if he can recapture what he had last year, I can't figure out what he's doing with Finley in there.

In Manu we STILL trust! rayray2k8's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This topic should not be discussed until 30-40 games into the season...
    His time will come, but I agree that he might not be back, but only because the spurs might not be able to re-sign him because of the spurs
    salary cap situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RMJ is a fantastic player to have on a team like this. He is perfect for his role, and just because he is not playing well does not mean there are better options than him out there. You can't hope to just keep trading up in talent.

You need guys like RMJ and Hill and Blair if you want to have depth. Let things get settled and let him find his niche again.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RMJ in Shreds..you dip s don't know anything about basketball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What gave it away? His ending contract?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mason should have an Eddie House role, where he plays 10-15 MPG or when the team needs shooting..on this team, that isn't happening..he's getting over 20 MPG and so is Finley..that just won't work on a contender, no other team has 2 players in their rotation like that..

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mason should have an Eddie House role, where he plays 10-15 MPG or when the team needs shooting..on this team, that isn't happening..he's getting over 20 MPG and so is Finley..that just won't work on a contender, no other team has 2 players in their rotation like that..
    Agreed. Finley plays the same role that Mason ideally should play, except Fin can defend bigger guys (as long as they are slow small forward types)

Right now, Ghill should be playing the combo guard role. If manu is getting 25 a night, and mason gets another 15, that leaves about 8 minute for ghill to get combo guard minutes. With Parker playing about 35 minutes, that is another 13...so ghill can play at least 20mpg that way; more if he is outplaying mason.

Unfortunately, the way mason is playing, ghill will be stealing his minutes and sharing them with bogus...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year was an aberration. Not in terms of Mason's abilities, but rather his role. That being said, I actually think he'll not only re-sign with the Spurs, but that he'll go back to being a starter, particularly if Jefferson re-establishes himself defensively. This is likely it for Finley. I expect him to retire and if so Mason will likely split his leftover minutes with Bogans (if he's re-signed) or Hairston (if he's re-signed and put into the rotation).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see both he and Finley gone, but it will never happen..hopefully we can settle for 1 of them being taken off the roster or at least out of the rotation..

I like RMJ is a "hired gun" kind of role. He did flourish as a starter, so that wouldn't be bad. However the team defense is atrocious, so I would prefer to keep seeing Bogans there for the time being.

We all know that Finley is Pop's sacred cow. It's hard to fathom why he favors so much court time for Finley, when it's obvious that any increased PT for him results in diminished returns.

If Pop would do the right thing and promote Hairston, he could peel back minutes for both these guys - maybe even setup a scenario where he gets rid of one or the other.

Of course, it'll never happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MASON has been shooting blanks lately....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mason will not finish the season with the spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. Finley plays the same role that Mason ideally should play, except Fin can defend bigger guys (as long as they are slow small forward types)

Right now, Ghill should be playing the combo guard role. If manu is getting 25 a night, and mason gets another 15, that leaves about 8 minute for ghill to get combo guard minutes. With Parker playing about 35 minutes, that is another 13...so ghill can play at least 20mpg that way; more if he is outplaying mason.

Unfortunately, the way mason is playing, ghill will be stealing his minutes and sharing them with bogus...
    so unfortunately the spurs are doing what you're suggesting?

Thread Information