Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks
    I think football is okay for the 2 months, Oct. and Nov. we are supposed to give it our undivided attention, but making it year round, with Super Bowls, drafts, and the endless talk- I've had it.

It's not even close to being as great or as popular a sport as Basketball even though they would have us believe that with the unending hype.

It's gay. It has none of the artistry or skill of baseball and basketball. It's basically a bunch of 400lbs. men running around trying to hump each other on the field. One guy is sticking his hands up a fat guy's ass to grab the ball.

I don't care how many people watch it on tv once a week.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    In the US, its probably the most popular of the major sports. TV ratings prove that and the reason that there is this much hype attached to it is because the people that generate the hype know that there is a market for it. Globally, IMO, soccer and basketball are more popular.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I don't like it either. Soccer and Basketball are much more interesting, yet less contrived.

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Interesting rant.

I'm not a big basketball fan any more. You know what I do? I don't pay attention to anything basketball related.

Sounds hard, doesn't it?

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    The year round talk is the only thing to keep me sane from February till August.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    Football is interesting because it's the most like "war", as it were. Two coaches acting as generals, responding to different battles with plays. Of course, this happens in other sports, but it's much more fluid there. With each play in football, there's a set 'play' run, which I think people find interesting.

As well, football has more permutations in various categories than any other sport. Numerous ways to score + a numerous amount of players = great amounts of variety. I think that's another aspect that's enjoyed.

Plus... ya know, hitting.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Of course, this happens in other sports, but it's much more fluid there.

A 3 1/2 hour football game has 11 minutes of actual game action.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...055561406.html

yes, much more fluid

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    As much as I love football, nothing beats playoff hockey, especially live.

Drama, flow, emotion, attrition, controversy, etc.

It's too bad only a minority of people follow it in the States.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks
    I know that it has great tv ratings but so what? There is a basketball hoop in every school yard and park. More people play basketball around the world. Football is fine but I don't want to be force fed every little bit of minutia that comes down the pipeline about every little 20 year old with dreadlocks who is supposed to come into the league and turn it on its head.

I mean, these draft picks- the majority of them are going to end up cut and useless. I don't want to hear about how some boring lineman is going to be picked in the first round. So what? That goes to show you how pathetic the sport really is, that the top drafts are the nameless, faceless, numbers that lineup any given Sunday. Talk about a league that lacks charisma.

Even if you try to show charisma as a football player you are mocked and ridiculed ala Tony Romo and T.O.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I know that it has great tv ratings but so what? There is a basketball hoop in every school yard and park. More people play basketball around the world. Football is fine but I don't want to be force fed every little bit of minutia that comes down the pipeline about every little 20 year old with dreadlocks who is supposed to come into the league and turn it on its head.

I mean, these draft picks- the majority of them are going to end up cut and useless. I don't want to hear about how some boring lineman is going to be picked in the first round. So what? That goes to show you how pathetic the sport really is, that the top drafts are the nameless, faceless, numbers that lineup any given Sunday. Talk about a league that lacks charisma.

Even if you try to show charisma as a football player you are mocked and ridiculed ala Tony Romo and T.O.

Then dont watch it, its that simple. I hate Naascar and dont consider it a sport but rednecks love it. Im ok with that and they can have it. I dont watch it and I dont let it bother me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    College Football is the best sport in the world to be a fan of and it's not even close. Nothing beats Saturday game days. It's an all day event of tailgating, BBQ, cheerleaders, hotties, booze, chartered bus ride, marching bands, and passion. I love it!

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    poop

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Then dont watch it, its that simple.
    Eh, the OP is a dope. It's obviously not that simple for him.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Obviously you don't know Jack about football. It's a more strategic game than both basketball and baseball. In the US, it's king. In Texas, you'll get ed up for saying like that in person.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    College Football is the best sport in the world to be a fan of and it's not even close. Nothing beats Saturday game days. It's an all day event of tailgating, BBQ, cheerleaders, hotties, booze, chartered bus ride, marching bands, and passion. I love it!
    +1

not to mention the actual game itself is exciting to watch

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    +1

not to mention the actual game itself is exciting to watch
    True dat.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks
    Oh please, don't give me the strategy bs. If half the numb skulls that actually like football for whatever reason could understand one play the world would be a better place. It's not chess or rocket science. And don't make the players any smarter than any other sports athlete. All they know is get ball, run with ball, hump opposing player, pile on and hump. That's it.

All this talk about Tim T. and his potential to throw a football makes me sick. It's not open heart surgery. He's got the heart of a champion. If he doesn't succeed in the NFL it will not have anything to do his ability to throw a football.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Oh please, don't give me the strategy bs. If half the numb skulls that actually like football for whatever reason could understand one play the world would be a better place. It's not chess or rocket science. And don't make the players any smarter than any other sports athlete. All they know is get ball, run with ball, hump opposing player, pile on and hump. That's it.

All this talk about Tim T. and his potential to throw a football makes me sick. It's not open heart surgery. He's got the heart of a champion. If he doesn't succeed in the NFL it will not have anything to do his ability to throw a football.
    you're a dope.... what would you know.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

I played hs and college ball and have coached it on a couple of levels and I know for a fact you have no idea what you're talking about. Basketball is 5 guys running plays to put the ball in the hole or keep the other guy from doing it. Football is 11 guys at a time having to move and execute in unison to move the ball or stop the other guy. It's a detailed and brutal game that you just don't understand. Dope

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    If he doesn't succeed in the NFL it will not have anything to do his ability to throw a football.

Actually, it's the exact opposite.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks
    I played hs and college ball and have coached it on a couple of levels and I know for a fact you have no idea what you're talking about. Basketball is 5 guys running plays to put the ball in the hole or keep the other guy from doing it. Football is 11 guys at a time having to move and execute in unison to move the ball or stop the other guy. It's a detailed and brutal game that you just don't understand. Dope
    I understand it just fine. Do you know why Bo Jackson and Deon Sanders were so amazing- they were football players that actually had the skill to hit a 90mph baseball. That takes skill and concentration.

There is only one semi-skilled player on a football field. That's the QB. Everybody else is running and hugging- that's it. If the QB is good any dope can run and catch a ball. There's no finesse to the game. It is brutal. But think of the end of games- and the flip of a coin?!? Ties? It's absurd.

I got it out of my system now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    If the QB is good any dope can run and catch a ball.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    It has none of the artistry or skill of baseball and basketball. It's basically a bunch of 400lbs. men running around trying to hump each other on the field.
    yeah baseball is full of skilled athletes in great shape.

Thread Information