Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deron Williams Says He's the NBA's Best Point Guard
    By Chris Tomasson

If you want to see the best point guard in the NBA, come out to that lost American time zone, also known the Rocky Mountain one.

No, not Steve Nash in Phoenix.

It's Utah's Deron Williams. And he doesn't disagree.

"I feel I was the best point guard in the league for a while,'' said Williams, when asked by FanHouse during a media session after Wednesday's shootaround at the Pepsi Center if he's the NBA's top point guard. "I think I'm the best point guard in the league. No reason. I just think I'm the best.''

Williams is sure showing that during a West first-round series the Jazz lead 3-1 over Denver heading into Wednesday night's Game 5. Williams is averaging 25.8 points and 11.0 assists in the series, and has become just the fourth NBA player ever to record at least 20 points and 10 assists in the first four games of a playoff series.

In somewhat of an attempt to combat him, the Nuggets will start point guard Chauncey Billups against Williams for the first time in the series rather than shooting guard Arron Afflalo.

"We just want to show him something different,'' Billups said. "How I guard him is a little different than probably Arron does. I'm probably a little more physical.''

Billups knows it will be a tough task. He was asked if he feels Williams is the NBA's top point guard.

"He's as good as it gets, man,'' Billups said. "He can do everything. He really doesn't have any weaknesses. I think that's the ultimate compliment that you can pay to a player is to say that he doesn't have any weaknesses, and I think he's reached that point now.''

Williams, who averaged 18.7 points and 10.5 assists during the regular season while making his first All-Star Game, has thought that for a while. He was asked who the second-best point guard is in the NBA.

"CP,'' said Williams, referring to New Orleans' Chris Paul, who was taken No. 4 in the 2005 draft while Williams went No. 3, with Paul getting off to a quicker NBA start. "Just like he probably thinks he's the best and I'm No. 2.''

So who's the bronze medalist in this point-guard derby?

"Steve Nash,'' Williams said. "You got to argue him, what he's doing at this age (36) is crazy. I felt he's been the best point guard for the first probably three or four years that I was in the league.''

Well, this is Williams' fifth year. So that gives an idea of when Williams believes he passed Nash.

"Hands down,'' Utah forward Carlos Boozer said when asked if Williams is the NBA's top point guard. "I think he's proven that throughout the course of the season. I think he's taking on the challenge of playing against Chauncey Billups, and he's stepped his game up even more.''

The only other players to have recorded 20 points and 10 assists in the first four games of a playoff series are Cincinnati's Oscar Robertson in 1965, Phoenix's Kevin Johnson in 1989 and the Lakers' Magic Johnson in 1990.

Count Robertson and Johnson as two of the greatest ever to play the game. But as far as being the best point guard in the NBA now, Williams gives it to himself.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    After Nash and his umpteenth turnovers Williams is right.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I have no problem with players making these kinds of declarations if they can back it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has been ever since CP3 went down with injury.

O & 44!!! Now, go back &
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ...& Eva took up the strap on.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still like a healthy Paul better but Deron is right there with him.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I think paul is awesome, but I like williams a little better.

You Belinelli Believe It! dougp's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still like a healthy Paul better but Deron is right there with him.
    Any particular reason why? Deron actually plays 1 on 1 defense, not taking gambles in the passing lanes, and can take my PGs into the post. His vision is just as good as CP3 though.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Any particular reason why? Deron actually plays 1 on 1 defense, not taking gambles in the passing lanes, and can take my PGs into the post. His vision is just as good as CP3 though.
    I lol at the fact that "getting steals doesn't mean playing good defense" has devolved into "getting steals means playing bad defense."

Eastsideboxing Spurs fan bulakenyo's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams' low to the ground, little tank PG style usually has a longer career than the super flashy and super quick, spitfire PGs.

Utah's my second team after the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I lol at the fact that "getting steals doesn't mean playing good defense" has devolved into "getting steals means playing bad defense."
    CP3 plays the passing lanes - his one on one defense blows.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You can't go wrong with either. I've never seen Deron as dominant as Paul was during 08 and stretches of the 09 season though.

But right now he's probably right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's playing like it, too.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    CP3 plays the passing lanes - his one on one defense blows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't go wrong with either of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What year was that, the year he led the league in steals?

Banned
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    lmao between rashard and sheed .. LOOL excellent benchmarking right there.
    LOL 121-61
    LOL getting raped by williams countless time
    LOL pointless stats
    LOL williams carrying his team in the playoffs with him being the ONLY first round pick in the team
    LOL idiotic stats made for dumb s that don't watch games
    thus, LOL cp3

Banned
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    furthermore, any sane coach knows what size and leadership and a true winner mentality bring to the table. Cp3 has NONE, let me repeat NONE freaking NADA of them and this is a fact. These things bring the rings, the rest is just meaningless stats in a system designed to maximize pg game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, a healthy CP3 is better than Deron Williams in every aspect of the game except when it comes to size. D-will is also in a much better system, team, franchise, and coach. Hornets are dealing with financial difficulties and still looking for a coach.

Lets not forget that his Jazz team also got destroyed last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, this is kind of strange to hear williams self proclaim.. It's not like him... although he is right. At least the man can actually back it up unlike some other self proclaimers.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    lmao between rashard and sheed .. LOOL excellent benchmarking right there.
    LOL 121-61
    LOL getting raped by williams countless time
    LOL pointless stats
    LOL williams carrying his team in the playoffs with him being the ONLY first round pick in the team
    LOL idiotic stats made for dumb s that don't watch games
    thus, LOL cp3
    Of course. The stats must be lying. Chris Paul is a bad defender, which is why he is so efficient defensively.

He only gets the steals, guise!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cool story broseidon

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    This year he is. Depends on how well Paul bounces back from his injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This year he is. Depends on how well Paul bounces back from his injury.
    this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker 3 rings, and one finals MVP begs to differ. Bottom line when Parker is on he can dominate as much if not more than any other point guard in the league.

Thread Information