Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poll: Majority Of GOP Believes Obama Sympathizes With Islamic Fundamentalism, Wants Worldwide Islamic Law

A majority of Republicans believe that President Barack Obama "sympathizes with the goals of Islamic fundamentalists who want to impose Islamic law around the world," according to a survey released on Monday.

That figure, buried at the very end of a newly released Newsweek public opinion poll, reflects the extent to which a shocking bit of smear and misinformation has managed to become nearly commonplace within the GOP tent.

A full 14 percent of Republicans said that it was "definitely true" that Obama sympathized with the fundamentalists and wanted to impose Islamic law across the globe. An additional 38 percent said that it was probably true -- bringing the total percentage of believers to 52 percent. Only 33 percent of Republicans said that the "allegation" (as Newsweek put it) was "probably not true." Seven percent said it was "definitely not true." The rest (eight percent) either didn't know the answer or didn't read the question.

The Newsweek findings add more kindling to the already-heated debate raging around the persistent rumors that Obama is a closeted Muslim (he's not). In an illustration of just how deeply news outlets have been drawn to the topic, the magazine devoted seven of its 24 questions to Muslim-themed topics, producing, in the process, a number of telling and newsworthy numbers.

Fifty-nine percent of Republicans, for instance, said they believed the president favored "the interests of Muslims over other groups of Americans," while only 34 percent of said he had been "generally even handed" in his approach. In contrast, nine percent of Democrats said Obama favored "the interests of Muslims over other groups of Americans" while 82 percent of Democrats said he had been even-handed.

On a more uplifting front, 16 percent of all respondents said they had a very favorable view of Muslims while 45 percent said they had a "mostly favorable" view -- the highest and second highest totals recorded for those answers in the survey's history, respectively.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...tml?view=print

=========

And these ignorant, confused Repug assholes are going to vote in what kind of politicians? Ignorant, lying Repug politicians.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Wow... that's pretty insane if the question was worded correctly.

Each Day Offers Potential Darrin's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I've solved the immigration problem! We'll we out the ignorant! We need to have an anti-ignorance test and if you don't pass, you are deported to Mexico. Go hold your ideals as immigrants. That includes the politicans. If a politican says something 3 times in public and it can be proven, it should be considered what he considers the truth.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow... that's pretty insane if the question was worded correctly.
    I'll let TeyshaBlue verify it for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fifty-nine percent of Republicans, for instance, said they believed the president favored "the interests of Muslims over other groups of Americans,"
    I'm not sure how you can word that any differently....none-the-less it helps to prove that wing-nut aren't held together by ideology anymore, just conspiracy theories...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'll let TeyshaBlue verify it for me.
    I'm on it.

So far, it looks pretty grim for the OP as the results appear to be very construed.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm not sure how you can word that any differently....none-the-less it helps to prove that wing-nut aren't held together by ideology anymore, just conspiracy theories...

After reviewing the survey/poll, I found no instance whatsoever of this 59% figure that Huffpo is trotting out.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Ah , there's two polls referenced in the Newsweek article that Huffpo is cribbing from. I was looking at the Pew Inst. Poll.

Now I'm reveiwing the Princeton Survey Research Associates International poll.

+/- 6.5 points?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Poll: Majority Of GOP Believes Obama Sympathizes With Islamic Fundamentalism, Wants Worldwide Islamic Law

A majority of Republicans believe that President Barack Obama "sympathizes with the goals of Islamic fundamentalists who want to impose Islamic law around the world," according to a survey released on Monday.

That figure, buried at the very end of a newly released Newsweek public opinion poll, reflects the extent to which a shocking bit of smear and misinformation has managed to become nearly commonplace within the GOP tent.

A full 14 percent of Republicans said that it was "definitely true" that Obama sympathized with the fundamentalists and wanted to impose Islamic law across the globe. An additional 38 percent said that it was probably true -- bringing the total percentage of believers to 52 percent. Only 33 percent of Republicans said that the "allegation" (as Newsweek put it) was "probably not true." Seven percent said it was "definitely not true." The rest (eight percent) either didn't know the answer or didn't read the question.

The Newsweek findings add more kindling to the already-heated debate raging around the persistent rumors that Obama is a closeted Muslim (he's not). In an illustration of just how deeply news outlets have been drawn to the topic, the magazine devoted seven of its 24 questions to Muslim-themed topics, producing, in the process, a number of telling and newsworthy numbers.

Fifty-nine percent of Republicans, for instance, said they believed the president favored "the interests of Muslims over other groups of Americans," while only 34 percent of said he had been "generally even handed" in his approach. In contrast, nine percent of Democrats said Obama favored "the interests of Muslims over other groups of Americans" while 82 percent of Democrats said he had been even-handed.

On a more uplifting front, 16 percent of all respondents said they had a very favorable view of Muslims while 45 percent said they had a "mostly favorable" view -- the highest and second highest totals recorded for those answers in the survey's history, respectively.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...tml?view=print

=========

And these ignorant, confused Repug assholes are going to vote in what kind of politicians? Ignorant, lying Repug politicians.
    You are the mirror image of what you despise. You fall for every, single tidbit of quasi-information that will somehow validate your almost pathalogical hatred of Conservatism without bothering to even give it a cursory examination.

As I suspected, the results are very construed.

For example: A full 14 percent of Republicans said that it was "definitely true" that Obama sympathized with the fundamentalists and wanted to impose Islamic law across the globe. An additional 38 percent said that it was probably true -- bringing the total percentage of believers to 52 percent. makes no mention of the +/-6.5 point MOE.

Another glaring example is the question quoted "the interests of Muslims over other groups of Americans," while only 34 percent of said he had been "generally even handed" in his approach." would lead you to believe that 59% of Republicans think that President Obama sides with Muslims over Americans, period. The question is actually: "Thinking about Barack Obama and what he has said about issues like the proposal to build an Islamic cultural center and mosque a few blocks from the World Trade Center site in New York City… Do you think Obama favors the interests of Muslim Americans over other groups of Americans, or do you think he has generally been even-handed?"

The question was specifically couched within the context (provided by the survey group no less) of the 9/11 Cultural Center brouhaha. 59% of Republicans believe President Obama favors the interests of Muslim Americans over other groups of Americans as regards this issue. To extrapolate this farther, more questions needed to be asked, which didn't happen.
    Personally, I think that 59% is wrong. However, depending upon their interpretation of the question, I can understand their vote.

The leading statement: "A full 14 percent of Republicans said that it was "definitely true" that Obama sympathized with the fundamentalists and wanted to impose Islamic law across the globe. An additional 38 percent said that it was probably true -- bringing the total percentage of believers to 52 percent. Only 33 percent of Republicans said that the "allegation" (as Newsweek put it) was "probably not true." Seven percent said it was "definitely not true." The rest (eight percent) either didn't know the answer or didn't read the question." is equally disingenuous.
    Here's the answer they didn't show:

36 Probably not true Rep33%, Dem 37%, Ind. 37%

The question is also very poorly composed.
    Some people have alleged that Barack Obama sympathizes with the goals of Islamic fundamentalists who want to impose Islamic law around the world. From what you know about Obama, what is your opinion of these allegations? Do you think they are…

Some people? Allegations? These are they types of descriptors that prompt particular behaviors. Some people is a soft target. We all agree with some people some of the time. Allegations often invokes images of legal system and legal structures...much different than "Rumors".

Suppose the descriptor "Some people" was left off and allegations are removed from the question and the question is simply stripped down to: Barack Obama sympathizes with the goals of Islamic fundamentalists who want to impose Islamic law around the world.
    What do you suspect the answers would look like then? Probaly very similar to the Pew Ins utes poll conducted in July.
    http://people-press.org/report/645/

Here's the poll...read for yourself.
    http://nw-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/1004-ftop.pdf

Contrast the way the questions are asked in both polls. Notice that Pew's are clean and concise, with no open ended descriptors like "Some People" nor ID labels like "Allegations". Also notice that the results overall of the Pew and the Princeton don't exacltly jive.

Wonder why that is.
    Last edited by TeyshaBlue; 08-31-2010 at 10:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty small sample too.

I definitely thought the question was slanted.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Screw percentages.

Anybody, any percentage, Repug or other, who "believes" (as in fantasy land, like Bible-thumpers) Magic Negro is a foreigner, or a Muslim, or that he wants or sympathizes with world-wide Muslim/Sharia domination is ing nutcase.

It's very clear from any poll that insane percentages of Repugs and similar right-wing ilk believe one or all of the above.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    fify

It's very clear from your post that your Oscar is missing it's Meyer.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So they added the margin of error to the percentage to come to the 59%? How stupid. Why even do that? Is 52% not a compelling enough number?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say "screw facts", you did. so STFU

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I didn't say "screw facts", you did. so STFU
    Defend your OP and it's idiotic massaging of the poll results or you can kindly STFU.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No matter what the percentages are, there are definitely Repugs who believe these fantasies. the defense rests.

Go twiddle around with +/- errors and question phrasing.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    No matter what the percentages are, there are definitely Repugs who believe these fantasies. the defense rests.

Go twiddle around with +/- errors and question phrasing.
    Nobody claims there aren't. Newsflash...there are Dems who believe this too.

What you did was make several false claims, by proxy, then backpeddle furiously when you got called on it. It's ok. I realize you're wrong even if you can't.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    After reviewing the survey/poll, I found no instance whatsoever of this 59% figure that Huffpo is trotting out.
    Yep, it's 52%. Doesn't matter. Most of us sympathize with people we disagree with. The 59% is "Favors the interests of Muslims."

Besides. I would answer "Definitely true," just for s~n~grins. I hate pollsters, and I like playing games with them.

Then again, it is the huff~n~puff post.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I wonder if the remodeling at the White House includes the installation of some prayer rugs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a Muslim, so why does the left act like this is an insult of the highest magnitude?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol darrins reaffirming his birther status.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "why does the left act like this is an insult of the highest magnitude"

because in the mouths of the Repugs, Christian supremacists, and other insanes, it IS an insult of the highest magnitude, along with he's black, he's a foreigner, he's a terrorist/sympathisizer, not a native-born citizen, etc, etc.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-01-2010 at 10:42 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if listening to 20 years of radical black seperatist theology has no influence on him, I doubt any radical imam could.

Probably doesn't help when he has Freudian slips.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    birther

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Well, if listening to 20 years of radical black seperatist theology has no influence on him, I doubt any radical imam could.

Probably doesn't help when he has Freudian slips.

I noticed you couldn't bring yourself to post the clip in context. Here, let me demonstrate intellectual honesty. Take notes.

Thread Information