Oklahoma Sooners
    Post Count
    has apparently been stripped from USC

lol jgw

My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Kansas Jayhawks
    Post Count
    The Bowl Championship Series unanimously decided to strip the University of Southern California of the 2004 national football le, BCS Executive Director Bill Han said Monday. The championship was awarded after USC defeated Oklahoma in the 2005 Orange Bowl.

“The president’s group operates by consensus,” Han said, referring to the governing body of the BCS, which is made up of one president from each of the NCAA’s 12 conferences and the president of Notre Dame. “In this case, there was no opposition.”

In keeping with BCS and NCAA policy, the le will be vacated and not awarded to another school.

This is the final major penalty for the USC program in the aftermath of the NCAA’s investigation of the school over violations regarding former running back Reggie Bush and basketball player O.J. Mayo. USC also was hit with a two-year bowl ban and will be limited to 15 scholarships in football over the next three years.

Those penalties were maintained despite an appeal by USC. The NCAA announced its final decision on the penalties for USC in May, denying the appeal. USC officials expressed disappointment at the NCAA’s decision. On Monday, USC Athletic Director Pat Haden reacted to the latest news.

“The BCS alerted us today that their presidents have voted to vacate USC’s 2005 BCS Championship Game victory,” Haden said. “This was not an unexpected outcome. We will comply with all requirements mandated by the result of this BCS vote.”

Han said the group was satisfied that it followed proper procedures set up years ago to handle such situations. He said the group has no plans to add investigatory work to how it handles such controversies.

“We’re not an investigatory body and we’ll leave that to the NCAA. Once it goes through its process and comes to its conclusion, we will take that into account,” Han said. “This is the procedure we came up with when we started this and we’re satisfied with how it worked. If we have to dust this off again, we’ll do it. Hopefully, we won’t, but this has worked properly.”

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...c_ le_060611

Goddamnit I was going to start the thread with the hilarious le of "WOOHOO!! OU JUST WON THE 2004 ORANGE BOWL!!! PUT IT ON THE BOARD!!!"

awkward situation for everyone who bought a shirt

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    In keeping with BCS and NCAA policy, the le will be vacated and not awarded to another school.
    this is lame.

Auburn would have smoked OU as well imho

I think Auburn and Oklahoma have to assemble all players they can from their respective 2004 squads and play a game to determine the 2004 champion.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    USC Trojans
    Post Count
    Not a big surprise...but in light of what's happening in Columbus, OH (and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last thing to come out) it won't be the last. Why couldn't you get free tattoos or something like that, Reggie. The big money and Kardashian snatch was going to come to you--just wait one more year. I think USC didn't even need Bush that night when they obliterated OU. I guess we'll never know...

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    Really, USC will always be the natty champion from 04'

I continue to think Auburn would have played a better game than did the Sooners, but I still doubt they would have won... IMHFO

War Eagle

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Vacating a championship is the lamest, most pointless thing in the world. We all know who won the damn ship. If you're going to vacate it at least go all out and make the players return their rings and what-not.

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    I used to have delusions that the BCS would award it to Auburn after the sanctions, but the more I thought about it, the dumber it felt/sounded. A vast majority of Auburn people agree, btw, tbh

Would any of USC's great players have been any less great had they not been paid? NO

I used to have delusions that the BCS would award it to Auburn after the sanctions, but the more I thought about it, the dumber it felt/sounded. A vast majority of Auburn people agree, btw, tbh

Would any of USC's great players have been any less great had they not been paid? NO
    They might have gone to other schools...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Apparently they're also saying USC was never into the 2006 national le game either. So who the did Texas beat then?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Apparently they're also saying USC was never into the 2006 national le game either. So who the did Texas beat then?
    LMAO..I was just about to say this exact same thing..I heard it this morning and laughed my ass off.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    UCLA Bruins
    Post Count
    Lol usc

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    That's pretty unfair to Texas given that they beat the team ESPN was premature ejaculating about as the best team of all time.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    UCLA Bruins
    Post Count
    So does that mean UCLA lost 66-19 to nobody?

My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    IMO if you go undefeated you have every right and prerogative to claim the national championship. You've done everything you can possibly do on the field, it isn't your fault you lost a beauty contest.

Auburn and Utah can both claim the 2004 MNC as far as I'm concerned. Boise in 2006 as well.

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    Boise is the exception. Going undefeated when your field matches your jersey color doesn't count.

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    Vacating a championship is the lamest, most pointless thing in the world. We all know who won the damn ship. If you're going to vacate it at least go all out and make the players return their rings and what-not.
    80% of those kids sold those championship rings by now.

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    IMO if you go undefeated you have every right and prerogative to claim the national championship. You've done everything you can possibly do on the field, it isn't your fault you lost a beauty contest.

Auburn and Utah can both claim the 2004 MNC as far as I'm concerned. Boise in 2006 as well.
    This is yet another reason there should be a playoff. Yes, teams will still go on probation and have to vacate wins, but at least there would only be two teams undefeated left playing for all the tos os every year.

I could maybe accept Auburn/Utah getting that championship left behind by USC if this were the case, but since it's not...

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    They might have gone to other schools...
    fair point.

That USC team was such a juggernaut, though, that i'm not sure the one or two players that may have ended up at other schools would have made a difference in the grand scheme of things

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It's only funny to scoff JGW who doesn't even post anymore cuz his team sucks .

But all this retroactive stripping of les and heismans etc is ing stupid. USC will always be the 2004 champ, and Bush had that 05 Heisman.

It's a slap in the face to fans when you get situations like Auburn where the news is out they're cheating like crazy, and you know in 5 years that championship will be gone. But they're still the champs. And until they proactively start penalizing teams, all this stuff means .

My Team
    Arizona Wildcats
    Post Count
    I think it was the 49ers , one announcer I remember said USC would beat the 49ers

irrelevant

Thread Information