Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Conan O’Brien, remember him? He has a cable talk show on TBS, remember? Well, you’re not alone if you forgot all about that show. It seems like a lot of folks have as well. During June, CONAN fell to fourth place place among the cable TV talk show also-rans, coming up just behind Chelsea Handler’s CHELSEA LATELY. CHELSEA LATELY drew 808,000 average viewers vs. CONAN’s lowly 743,000 viewers. Even worse, O’Brien is even losing the coveted 18-49 age bracket that advertisers love to CHELSEA LATELY by a 503,000-559,000 margin. THE DAILY SHOW with Jon Stewart and THE COLBERT REPORT top the cable TV talk show ratings race, leaving CONAN looking like the very last runner in a race.

Yet, despite all his ratings woes, Conan O’Brien still commands a fairly decent sized loyal fan base and critics gave high praise to CONAN O”BRIEN CAN’T STOP, a very good do entary film from Rodman Flender, which do ented the months in which the comic wasn’t able to legally perform on TV due to his NBC exit contract.

Going to cable TV was widely viewed as being a major mistake by many critics for Conan O’Brien as NBC sought to correct their mistake when they moved Conan O’Brien into the 11:30 TONIGHT SHOW slot where the show became a quick ratings failure. NBC had also hoped to cut TV production costs by creating a cheaply produced 10pm prime time show for Jay Leno, which certainly cost considerably less to produce than a decent TV program like a LAW & ORDER or ER would have cost. But, audiences quickly rejected that prime time version of a Jay Leno talk show. When NBC proposed moving Leno back into the 11:30 slot, and moving the TONIGHT SHOW with Conan O’Brien after midnight, O’Brien was upset and sought to leave NBC. Former SNL cast member Jimmy Fallon took over Conan O’Brien’s old 12:30 show and has made it into a decent hit with strong ratings that run neck and neck with THE LATE LATE SHOW WITH CRAIG FERGUSON. Both of these guys have proven to be great talents, as both created excellent shows for as late as they appear on TV. Both entertainers and their shows are much better than their late night time slots would suggest. Either could easily handle the call to do a show at at 11:30 if the call comes someday. Jimmy Fallon probably ended up the biggest winner of the NBC shakeup disaster with Conan O’Brien ultimately the biggest loser, largely due to his inability to maintain strong enough TONIGHT SHOW ratings for a variety of reasons and his decision to leave network TV for lowly rated cable TV.

So where does this all leave Conan O’Brien? Maybe, do his cable TV show for a few more seasons until his contract runs out at TBS,, then call it quits to produce TV shows. Hopefully, much better than the ill-fated OUTLAW, though. Conan O’Brien remains a very talented writer and entertainer, but not always the best career manager.

While CONAN is certainly entertaining, the fact is that fewer and fewer people are even bothering to watch. Compared to building an audience of new viewers, that’s a very troubling trend. But, if that trend is good enough for TBS or for Conan O’Brien to accept, then it can go on for a while until it just doesn’t make good economic sense to continue.
    http://wizbangpop.com/2011/07/30/con...tv-talk-shows/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Guy should have just stayed at 1:00 on NBC, its amazing how far he's fallen.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Who is that in your .gif? She looks wonderfully similar to Lost's Kate...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I cannot stand the er. I wish him and Tyler Perry would get married to each other and die in a plane crash en-route to their honeymoon on the Ivory Coast.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Who is that in your .gif? She looks wonderfully similar to Lost's Kate...
    I dunno just saw it and put it in my sig. Looks like some rich guy filming his girlfriend in their house? He's no doubt the luckiest man in the world if so.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I dunno just saw it and put it in my sig. Looks like some rich guy filming his girlfriend in their house? He's no doubt the luckiest man in the world if so.
    No, she's somewhat famous. A saw a few of my friends watching a video of her.

Anyways, Conan was never to funny for me... every now and then he did something genius, but overall, was meh.

His success before was due to the same crowd that likes the Daily Show and the Colbert Report... putting him in the same time frame was idiotic.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Losing to CHELSEA LATELY? Wow...

He used to be a cult God when he was on Late Night on NBC

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Oklahoma Sooners
    lol

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    conan has sucked ever since letting go of his side kick the first time back in the early 90's and he's yet to find that spark again even though he's brought andy back.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Auburn Tigers
    Imagine that. The calf-tatted, homeless secretary scoffing something.

Go wash your in' hair, boy

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So what's the order? I assume Stewart,Leno,Handler,Conan?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Are these reruns or new Conan shows? Falling behind Chelsea doesn't seem good but there was no way he'd be able to compete against Stewart and Colbert anyway.

Anyway I agree he should've stayed at NBC, imo he took business too personally. Also not a fan of replacing Max and Joel with Andy even though Andy is Conan's bud and an original member IIRC.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Wow..

You mean the jackass actually was #3?

Who would have thought...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Imagine that. The calf-tatted, homeless secretary scoffing something.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm a big Conan fan and have watched him since day one on the late late night show. I was going to make a thread about his yness lately but forgot.

Half the time his show doesn't even air, in lue of reruns or just not even having a show. His writers are complete trash and are not funny. His skits are WAY to boring. Conan is only funny when he is improving.

He under uses his talented cast(raging on La Bamba, the Preperation H guy, and the other one that came over with him to Cable) and overuses his garbage(Andy) and that black guy.

Andy is by far the worst partner for a comedian.

They had a winning skit with the fake Ted Turner on the stuffed buffalo but they hardly use it.

He does interact with the audience a lot which is funny though.

Conan, step y0 game up son! it doesn't LOOK GOOD!

Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Viva Las Espuelas's Avatar
    Name
    5 letters long
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah. I haven't watched him much lately. I just DVR it and if someone interests me then I'll just watch that segment. Pretty sad if he falls into obscurity. He's also way too political now. I don't ever remember him being that way.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If he keeps producing stuff like Eagleheart I would be all for him producing more shows.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    I miss Johnny.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He's still #1 in my book. Leno will never get play in my home.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think it's significant that the 3 shows beating Conan are 30 min long compared to his one hour. When those shows are ty, it's much nicer to suffer for just half as long. But it's sad because even on the best night, Chelsea Handler is only passable for the 5 minutes she talks to a guest, the rest of the show (monologue and that horrible "panel" discussion) really sucks.

The couple of times per week I catch a talk show, it's Craig Ferguson.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I watch Leno but I did watch Conan back in the day.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Stewart and Colbert have cornered a market with their comedic, yet still brutally honest, political talk shows, especially since they kinda win both sides with their juxtaposed partisan positions. I think more people right now get their news from Daily Show than they do from CNN....and amazingly enough, that's probably a good thing.

Sad that you can't get an honest opinion about our country's current situation unless it comes in satirical form.

Chelsea Lately doing so well is really the only big surprise here, but I guess all the gossip-hawks had to flock somewhere after Oprah left.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^^^ And I'm glad Oprah left

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    You just have to be open to all media types.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    ^^^ And I'm glad Oprah left
    So you used to watch Oprah? If not then why would you care?

Thread Information