Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan F
    On the second night of a back-to-back, Tim Duncan looked like he was about 55 years old. His mobility was poor. He couldn't jump. His post moves were ineffective. He routinely got bullied in the paint. Pop sat Duncan for the entire second half -- for good reason. Let's hope this was just a bad outing and not a preview of how difficult back-to-backs will be for Duncan this season.

Manu Ginobili C
    Manu Ginobili had his moments where he look really good, however those moments didn't come as frequently as they came in the first two games. Ginobili spent most of this night forcing the action, making iffy decisions offensively and playing without energy on defense (which led to a lot of open shots for the Rockets). He was one of many players who looked tired tonight.

Tony Parker C
    The intensity was there for Tony Parker ... but the execution was missing. His playmaking was bad and he went one-on-one too often. Defensively, he was good at times but also zoned out on a number of possessions. Fatigue didn't appear to be an issue with Parker -- he just wasn't very good.

Richard Jefferson C+
    After missing shots early, Richard Jefferson began to hesitate. That led to him being a burden on the offensive end. Defensively, Jefferson didn't make an impact; he was slow on his closeouts and didn't offer much help. I gave him a couple bonus points for soaking up some trash minutes in the second half.

DeJuan Blair B+
    DeJuan Blair played well enough for the Spurs to win. Defensively, he actually did decent work on Luis Scola early on (Duncan was the one getting destroyed by Scola). Blair also rebounded well and showed good fight in the paint. Though his play was a bit out of control, Blair did his part tonight.

Tiago Splitter A-
    In this disaster, Tiago Splitter was the bright spot. Defensively, he was once again really good. He protected the rim well, he moved his feet and overall just seems to really understand what the Spurs are trying to do. On offense, Splitter was much improved. His three assists led the team and his movement off the ball was helpful. It wasn't a fluke that the Spurs outscored the Rockets by 12 points when Splitter was on the court and got outscored by 32 points when he was on the bench.

Kawhi Leonard B
    The picture of what Kawhi Leonard can bring to the Spurs is beginning to come into focus. On offense, while his jumper is shaky, he makes strong cuts and crashes the boards. Defensively, Leonard has a chance to be a really good individual defender and an even better help defender. Against the Rockets, Leonard had some issues in his individual D but that is to be expected for a player with virtually no pro experience.

James Anderson D+
    I didn't like the way James Anderson played tonight. His movements off the ball were soft and without purpose. His ballhandling was loose. His transition defense was extremely lazy. He kept leaving shooters open and just failed to really compete in any aspect. He played a little better during garbage time in the fourth quarter but it was much too little, too late.

Matt Bonner D-
    Is Matt Bonner done? It's starting to look like it. After going without a rebound in 16 minutes against Houston, he now has one rebound in 62 minutes this season. Defensively, he was garbage again tonight. Offensively, he missed four of five shots and made things worse by passing up shots and erroneously thinking he can make plays off the dribble.

Cory Joseph B
    The rookie point guard played the last 14 minutes of this blowout and actually did pretty well. His combination of size and ballhandling ability makes him an intriguing prospect. He also seems to have the ability to create shots for himself off the dribble. Joseph plays with good pace and has at least decent vision. His size is also an asset on defense. Overall, he's raw but at times he doesn't look to be too far away from being able to help.

Danny Green B+
    I liked how hard Danny Green played during his time in the fourth quarter. He defended really well and he crashed the boards on both ends. Green isn't bashful about shooting and he's more athletic than he looks. The energy he brings to the table could end up being really useful in this compacted schedule of games.

TJ Ford C+
    Following two relatively good games to begin his Spurs career, TJ Ford took a step back tonight. He was making wrong pass after wrong pass. He also kept leaving his feet without knowing what he wanted to do. Defensively he was decent but was usually a step slow. Ford is trying hard to fit but tonight he was just totally out of rhythm.

Pop B
    There wasn't much Pop could do tonight. He had too many players performing poorly and a too many shooters who couldn't buy a bucket. Benching Duncan for the second half was smart, as was giving Leonard the start to begin the third quarter. He was also able to get a good look at Joseph. On the other hand, it's really getting close to the point that Pop is going to have to think about dropping Bonner from the rotation completely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOOD POST I agree on all. I think Tim is in his last year, at times it's just painful to watch the man we once saw abuse bigs night in and out with ease.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I count this game as additional practice (pre-season type of game). what we got out of it is Splitter and Leonard got more practice in with the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too high for Pop. He left Bonner in for the 2nd game in a row for too long of a stretch when he wasn't rebounding or hitting shots and it put them in a hole big time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [Matt Bonner D-
    Is Matt Bonner done? It's starting to look like it.
    No matter how bad things may look, there's always a silver lining. . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp, do you think that what you saw tonight will cause Pop to severely alter his strategies going forward with regards to rotation/minutes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too high for Pop. He left Bonner in for the 2nd game in a row for too long of a stretch when he wasn't rebounding or hitting shots and it put them in a hole big time.
    Bonners played like the 1st 3 games, but he wasn't the sole reason the Spurs got behind early. Although its really easy to on Bonner, this beatdown was a complete team effort by the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone asked yet why we traded Luis Scola?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying it's all on Bonner, but it's on the coach to take a limited player out as soon as he says he's not producing that limited skill. Pop left him in too long twice in a row now and it really hurt the Spurs. There usually isn't just one factor that is bad, and this is no different, but it's a major one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We not only need a 5th big, we need one to take Bonner's minutes as well...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cam someone tell me what the Spurs are waiting for as far as getting another big? Seriously what are the possible reasons that their holding out ? Are they waiting for add'l waivers? aren't they all done, Play the 1st 2 weeks without one , then get whoever? Are they waiting for the players overseas (Martin ) to be available.
    I think we are risking serious injury by over extending are bigs (Splitter, Blair) to play meaningless minutes. Certainly a d-leaque big can play those garbage minutes. Or are the Spurs penny saving to the max. I really don't get this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a 3rd or 4th big. Someone equally good as Tiago so Matt is out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Liked what I saw out of Blair.

This is his 2nd straight solid performance. I hope he keeps this level of play up. It will improve our weak front line.

Tiago and Kawhi continue to impress.

Bonner sucks as always.

I want Gary Neal back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess wind-sprints ain't ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate to stick up for Bonner but he entered the game in the first half with Spurs down by 11 and left with Spurs down by 5. Yes, Pop should have pulled him earlier but part of the problem is lack of bigman depth. Right now, Bonner pretty much has to get some minutes unless Pop wants to make a full-time leap to small ball being part of the rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp, do you think that what you saw tonight will cause Pop to severely alter his strategies going forward with regards to rotation/minutes?
    Doubt it. He'll chalk up this loss as one where the Big 3 played sub par basketball and no one could hit a shot. He may considering altering Bonner's minutes but Pop will probably give him another week or two to show some life.

Although JA might have officially lost his job to Neal with his poor effort tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget to include that Houston was unconscious with their shooting, all in all, they aren't a great team, but every team has those games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonners played like the 1st 3 games, but he wasn't the sole reason the Spurs got behind early. Although its really easy to on Bonner, this beatdown was a complete team effort by the Spurs.
    Bonner is the most glaringly obvious turd in the punchbowl. Sure the punch might taste like anyhow, but you gotta suspect that turd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oddly enough, Blair seems to be in better game shape than most of the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying it's all on Bonner, but it's on the coach to take a limited player out as soon as he says he's not producing that limited skill. Pop left him in too long twice in a row now and it really hurt the Spurs. There usually isn't just one factor that is bad, and this is no different, but it's a major one.
    Agree 100%. If Bonner is going to pass up shots there's no point of him being out there. That's despite the fact he provides nothing as afar as defense and rebounding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner does that little "oh I got no shot, let me drive one step into the lane and then pick up my dribble" move that does absolutely nothing to improve the offense.

RJ was doing that as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan looked like Raptor Hakeem tonight. I hope it's temporary.

Bonner looks like the lockout stole his legs out from under him. His vertical is now about the same as Duncan's. There was a point where he was at the right place to contest a shot but couldn't even get off the ground. I'm sure that factors into his non-rebounding. He wasn't exactly Flight White before, but he can't get off the ground at all.

Anderson played poorly, to the point of getting benched for Green. On the one hand, it's early in the season and just a bad game from a player who was going to have growing pains. On the other hand, that's all Pop needs to stuff him into the doghouse all year long. Inexperienced player make mistakes? He's done. Experienced vet play like hot garbage time after time? Permanent spot in the rotation.

I'm close to being through with TJ Ford. He's joining Bonner and Jefferson in the Axis of Failure group. I have not been nearly as impressed with his season thus far as many others, and even though I was a Joseph skeptic after the draft when I reviewed some Big 12 conference games, Joseph is the one who should play. Yes, TJ can get inside and pass out to 3 point shooters like he did today that they bricked. But that's pretty much it. That's great for a 3rd stringer. But I want either Neal or Joseph to be the back-up. Which of course won't be happening.

Leonard is doing well. When that 3 point % creeps up, that's when he'll really be making the fandom wish it was him playing instead of Jefferson.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really liked Tiago's defense tonight. I think to extend Duncan's career he's going to need to play with Splitter more. On offense he can take advantage of his size advantage and on defense he can allow Tiago to take the tougher matchup. That allows Blair to do his thing of the bench. That's why the team really needs a 5th big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good news is this still looks possible. Tiago and Kawhi have exceeded expectations for the most part. They have the potential to be a top 7 defensive team. The age of the big 3 is a big concern especially this year.

Agree somewhat, but its all about expectations. I don't think anyone outside of a true homer legitimately sees them as a contender as is. But if we are talking 2nd round or conference finals? To me, it's not that out of the question depending on how things shake out. Not saying that is likely, in fact I believe that it is not very likely. But it's really not a huge stretch all things considered.

Keep in mind a few things: Spurs with what I perceive to be a worse roster last year had the best record. If Manu doesn't get injured really late in the season, Spurs might have beaten Memphis. It's not guaranteed, but I feel it was attainable.

Spurs, while they have a lot of question marks, also have a lot of decent upside young players in Leonard, Blair & Tiago. It's far from a given that those guys take a step forward, but the potential is there. If those guys can play well, this team will be better than last years (barring any injury to the big 3). If that is the case, depending on what other teams add and what the Spurs do, I can see a mini little playoff run to the 2nd round (probably my ceiling if things go well) or even a WCF (if things go REALLY WELL).

So with all of that, remember you have nuggets team that was a threat, but is now way less of a team because of their players leaving/left. New Orleans is likely to be without West. There really isn't anyone jumping the Spurs and if you get a net improvement by playing Tiago/Leonard more (again, not a given at all) it's not that hard to see them competing more than last year which I would be thrilled with.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget to include that Houston was unconscious with their shooting, all in all, they aren't a great team, but every team has those games.
    Too many players on the Spurs were thinking too much instead of just letting the ball fly like the Rockets were.

Thread Information