Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Today, I found myself reminiscing after coming across one of those "Josh Smith to San Antonio" articles. How great would it have been to nab a front line of Duncan/Josh/Kawhi going forward...

Either way, I've got a couple of questions for us Spurs fans.

1) I'm curious to hear from everyone who they'd most like to see playing next to Duncan as he closes out his career (be it at PF or C)?

2) I'm also curious to know which of the current Spurs players would you most love to see stick around long term?

Myself, Al Horford has always been a guy on my wish list... I"m a Greg Monroe fan too... I'd be happy if Either of those guys landed in a Spurs uni. As for the current bunch. I'm hoping Manu and Tim can both close out their careers in San An and I hope Kawhi and Green stick long term... I feel like that paring holds a lot of potential in the back-court (akin to a Stephen Jackson / Gerald Wallace type of paring).

I'm not entirely sold on any other Spur though (both signed or whose draft rights we possess) Sorry TP. Neal is redundant if Manu takes over the old "Brent Barry" role and green develops into a consistent starter.

Opinions. Options?

silverblk mystix
    Bonner and Bonner... no question.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though he can be petulant and still does (and more than likely always will do) some stupid things, Smith would be a near perfect fit. Not only athletically and skill wise, but he's only signed through next season. Unfortunately, if the Hawks continue to surprisingly look like a clear cut playoff team without Horford and Hinrich, then they probably won't trade him. But even if they don't and they end up looking to trade him, I highly doubt the Spurs could acquire him.

I mentioned the other day offering Jefferson/Thomas for Okur (I'd try to get them to throw in their 2nd or swap 2nds, as well). Let's say for a moment the Nets agreed. Okur's big expiring contract ought to be intriguing to a team like the Hawks. But the Spurs would still probably have to include either Leonard or Splitter to headline their package and that's where this falls apart. Short of that, the best the Spurs could do is Okur, Blair, their 1st, the Nets 2nd, the Hawks pick of one of Neal, Anderson or Green and possibly one of Bertans or Richards. But unless the Spurs could use that package to acquire a significant piece for them, then flip that piece, with Okur and a leftover spare part or two, I don't see them being able to pull this off.

Other options include: Thomas (if they can first pull off the Jefferson/Thomas for Okur trade), though he has a bloated long term contract and has become injury prone. Davis and Markieff Morris. Randolph, Thompson and Hill are others worthy of mention, I just don't see the potential for a deal there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the point? Pop is still going to play Bonner 25 minutes per game.

I Make Love To Pressure MR.SILVER&BLack's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Roy Hibbert is someone im really high on. he has the size, potenial, & soft touch to become the spurs next great big with TD as a mentor and trainer.

as of right kawhi and neal. still waiting to see if Green is legit, but to me danny greens play is looking more & more like danny granger every game. even kinda looks like granger too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a Roy Hibbert fan. In general, I really think Indiana is building something special over there. If Al Jefferson was better on D, he's be my top choice just on his post game alone.

I hope Leonard sticks around long-term (possibly Tiago). Other than that, I'm happy to see the Spurs make some moves starting as early as next summer. In the past few years I have been transitioning as a fan, temporing expectations, and am looking forward to seeing new guys develop under the tutelage of irreplaceable players like TD & Manu.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol gnsf greyin it up in here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though he can be petulant and still does (and more than likely always will do) some stupid things, Smith would be a near perfect fit. Not only athletically and skill wise, but he's only signed through next season. Unfortunately, if the Hawks continue to surprisingly look like a clear cut playoff team without Horford and Hinrich, then they probably won't trade him. But even if they don't and they end up looking to trade him, I highly doubt the Spurs could acquire him.

I mentioned the other day offering Jefferson/Thomas for Okur (I'd try to get them to throw in their 2nd or swap 2nds, as well). Let's say for a moment the Nets agreed. Okur's big expiring contract ought to be intriguing to a team like the Hawks. But the Spurs would still probably have to include either Leonard or Splitter to headline their package and that's where this falls apart. Short of that, the best the Spurs could do is Okur, Blair, their 1st, the Nets 2nd, the Hawks pick of one of Neal, Anderson or Green and possibly one of Bertans or Richards. But unless the Spurs could use that package to acquire a significant piece for them, then flip that piece, with Okur and a leftover spare part or two, I don't see them being able to pull this off.

Other options include: Thomas (if they can first pull off the Jefferson/Thomas for Okur trade), though he has a bloated long term contract and has become injury prone. Davis and Markieff Morris. Randolph, Thompson and Hill are others worthy of mention, I just don't see the potential for a deal there.
    Okur? Really? Why would the Spurs bother with Okur, when they already have Bonner? While there are some slight differences in their styles, they're basically the same guy.

Even in a rent-a-player scenario, and even if Okur does have an expiring contract, it's still a bad idea because there are no guarantees that the Spurs can unload it at the trade deadline. Therefore, they may end up stuck with him. It's just a bad idea all around.

I like Josh Smith for this team, but not what it would take to acquire him. Despite his uber-athleticism and shot-blocking prowess, I can't see him being a good fit because he's not committed to playing consistent defense. A trait that would drive Pop crazy. I also don't agree with the strategy of giving up a young building block pieces and future draft picks for a guy that's never not a franchise-level player. The Spurs will be rebuilding very soon and it's not wise to mortgage their future on one player - unless he is a bonafide franchise-changing player. Smith isn't that player of that ilk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. JaVale McGee

2. Kawhi i suppose

I'd do anything to get JaVale McGee at Centre next to Tim til he retires.

Soak In Your Own Blood BanditHiro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol gnsf greyin it up in here
    can you ing give us a break. these hypothetical threads are favorites in other sports forums.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scola and Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Al Jefferson - hopefully Pop can work his magic on Al's defense like he has with Bonner.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Channing Frye... Frye/Bonner on the floor... talk about spacing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wishlist after amnestying rj:

Resign duncan to a low contract.

1a.) Brook Lopez
    1b.) Roy Hibbert
    2.) Nicolas Batum
    3.) Darrell Arthur

Not sure if we could sign all of them, but we do have a good amount of money. Those 2 both look up to Duncan and I think would like to play with him. Tony has already said he wished him and batum could play together. DA would be the floorspacing big that's a solid defender.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okur? Really? Why would the Spurs bother with Okur, when they already have Bonner? While there are some slight differences in their styles, they're basically the same guy.

Even in a rent-a-player scenario, and even if Okur does have an expiring contract, it's still a bad idea because there are no guarantees that the Spurs can unload it at the trade deadline. Therefore, they may end up stuck with him. It's just a bad idea all around.

I like Josh Smith for this team, but not what it would take to acquire him. Despite his uber-athleticism and shot-blocking prowess, I can't see him being a good fit because he's not committed to playing consistent defense. A trait that would drive Pop crazy. I also don't agree with the strategy of giving up a young building block pieces and future draft picks for a guy that's never not a franchise-level player. The Spurs will be rebuilding very soon and it's not wise to mortgage their future on one player - unless he is a bonafide franchise-changing player. Smith isn't that player of that ilk.
    Are you serious? I made it abundantly clear that the reason to acquire him is because he has a big expiring contract, which would be attractive to some teams and would broaden the Spurs trade options, from a financial perspective.

Even in the event they got stuck with Okur, I'd still do it in a second. 1) It would get rid of Jefferson and pave the way for Leonard to start in perpetuity. 2) It would free up the logjam on the wings. 3) It would allow them to start Splitter and still have a big with size off the bench. Because of his shooting, he'd be a nice fit next to Blair and would allow them to drop Bonner from the rotation entirely.

Whether Smith would commit to playing consistent defense or not, even on his worst day he's still a far superior to defender to Blair/Bonner. I said I wouldn't give up Splitter or Leonard and they're the only two players who qualify as young building blocks. They don't have much of a future right now and if they acquired Smith, he'd instantly become their best young asset going forward.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something that David Thorpe said when writing about Markieff Morris and the type of player I want as a big, starting next to either Tim or Splitter

Morris came into the league as a shooter with bite, meaning he is someone who can stretch the floor on offense but also someone who will rebound, defend, set screens and play with toughness. There are not many guys like this in the NBA.
    That type of player, a shooter with bite seems like the perfect fit.(See TiMVP article on Spurs offense overall with Bonner compared with Spliiter, Bonners +/- throughout the last few years, Value of Robert Horry next to good post big men) We've seen how potent our offense is with a floor spacing big man, if that shooter could be average/above average in terms of providing an interior presence, that would be the perfect fit.

Unfortunately, the last line of that represents a problem in acquiring a player like that. There aren't that many of them. Lorbek might do it, but that's still a season away.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don't need a starting big, they need a competent 3rd big that has a mid-range jump shot and can play PF..

Glen Davis, Fat Boris Diaw, Tyrus Thomas, Tyler Hansbrough and Markieff Morris are a few bigs I would be content with, off the top of my head(without looking at contracts)..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan Richards given a chance at PF. I believe he has the tools, just needs the experience at this level. So why not let him get some experience going up against Timmy in practice, so he could possibly take over once Timmy hangs it up? For the FO, it would be a low risk/high reward situation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don't need a starting big, they need a competent 3rd big that has a mid-range jump shot and can play PF..

Glen Davis, Fat Boris Diaw, Tyrus Thomas, Tyler Hansbrough and Markieff Morris are a few bigs I would be content with, off the top of my head(without looking at contracts)..
    But they'd most likely give up Blair in a trade for any big. So if they started Splitter and added one of the types you're suggesting, they'd have the same problem they have now: lack of size and rim protection off the bench. Thomas is the exception, in terms of protecting the rim, but he can't defend centers.

I'd offer Blair, Bonner, Anderson and the 1st for Morris and Warrick. The Suns probably wouldn't do it, but it's worth a shot. They'd save $3 million over the life of Bonner's and Warrick's contracts, get a young, positional replacement for Morris, as well as potentially get their SG of the future (which is a need) and they'd have two 1sts in a deep draft. And this is a team about to begin a re-build, that lacks young assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ersan Ilyasova: he's an unrestricted free agent after this season. A frontcourt of Duncan/Ilyasova/Leonard would be one of the best rebounding tandems in the league. Getting him would also allow for trading Bonner and/or Blair for some other pieces.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Likelihood of Hibbert leaving Indiana for San Antonio? Twin towers 2.0

Seattles Biggest Spurs Fan suitedkings's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing on my wish list is for Pop to be fired.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next year bigs should be

Splitter/ FA or someone traded for Blair
    Duncan/ Lorbek/ ??Bonner??

If I see Bonner and Blair next year playing 20+ minutes I will just give up on this team. Right now I rather have Matt than that dumb Blair.

Thread Information