Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much for wingnuts against fraudulent elections....where is James O"Keefe on this?

Meet Bill: The 91-Year-Old Decorated WWII Veteran Targeted By Florida Governor Rick Scott’s Voter Purge
    By Judd Legum - ThinkProgress
    May 29, 2012 at 11:24 am

91-year-old WWII veteran Bill Internicola

<snip>

Bill Internicola is a 91-year-old, Brooklyn-born, World War II veteran. He fought in the Battle of the Buldge and received the Bronze Star for bravery. He’s voted in Florida for 14 years and never had a problem.

Three weeks ago, Bill received a letter from Broward County Florida stating “You are not a U.S. Citizen” and therefore, ineligible to vote. He was given the option of requesting “a hearing with the Supervisor of Elections, for the purpose of providing proof that you are a United States citizens” or forfeit his right to vote.

This decorated World War II veteran is just one of hundreds of fully eligible U.S. citizens being targeted by Governor Scott’s massive voter purge just prior to this year’s election, according to data obtained from Florida election officials by ThinkProgress. The purge list, according to an analysis by the Miami Herald, targets mostly Democrats and Hispanics.

Voting rights groups in Florida have asked the Justice Department to investigate, alleging that Scott’s voter purge violates federal law.

<snip>
    Link: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...s-voter-purge/

Many of us knew there would be repercussions if people weren't held accountable for election "problems" in 2000. Republicans figure "what the ", we can do whatever we want, because NOBODY will do anything.

People will commit torture in our name and no one will go to jail. Wall Street will destroy the economy and no will go to jail. People will blatantly rig elections and no one will go to jail. They are getting bolder and bolder, because we live in a world where there is no accountability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now - this guy - Republican Governor Rick Scott is priming his state for a Mitt Romney victory in November. And he's doing it the same way Republicans have always done it - and that's by kicking Democratic voters off the voting rolls. Last year - Scott told his Secretary of State Ken Browning to begin compiling a list of voters in the state who aren't legal citizens - so they can have their voting rights revoked. Browning did what he asked - and came up with 182,000 Floridians who are possible non-citizens. But Browning himself admitted that the list was rife with errors - and shouldn't be taken public - or depended on to kick voters off the rolls. Governor Scott didn't care though - and after Browning resigned in February - Scott went ahead doing exactly that - and already more than 2,500 voters have been purged. According to do ents obtained by the Center for American Progress - of the more than 1,600 Floridians flagged by Scott in Miami-Dade County - over 350 were wrongfully identified - and are actually U.S. citizens who had to provide proof of citizenship to have their voting rights restored. Most of the rest of the 1,600 people flagged in the country haven't responded yet - and many likely never will - even if they are citizens - because they have other things to worry about like getting to work, driving their kids to school, and feeding their family - rather than trying to jump over another hurdle to vote. And that's exactly what the Governor wants - fewer people voting. But not just fewer people voting - fewer Democrats voting \\

A study by the Miami Herald found that Scott's voter purge is targeted at minority and Democratic voters. As the newspaper reports, “Hispanic, Democratic and independent-minded voters are the most likely to be targeted in a state hunt to remove thousands of noncitizens from Florida’s voting rolls...Whites and Republicans are disproportionately the least-likely to face the threat of removal.” Florida is guaranteed to be a battleground state this year - and kicking a few thousand Democrats off the rolls could flip the election in Romney's favor. Heck - it worked in 2000 for George W. Bush - when his brother Jeb denied 7,000 mostly African American Floridians their right to vote in an error-ridden bid to remove tens of thousands of convicted felons from the voting rolls. That was just what the Bush's needed to prevent a sizeable Gore win in Florida - and pe ion the Supreme Court to appoint Bush as the President of the United States in lieu of Florida actually electing him. As the New York Times reported on November 12th, 2001 after it and a consortium of news organizations conducted their own recount in Florida - Gore actually won the state. The Times wrote: "If all the ballots had been reviewed under any of seven single standards, and combined with the results of an examination of overvotes, Mr. Gore would have won."

You would think the revelation that the wrong man is sitting in the White House would be front-page news. Instead - it was buried in the 17th paragraph in a story misleadingly led, "Study of Disputed Florida Ballots Finds Justices Did Not Cast the Deciding Vote." The reason why it was buried? Because 9/11 had just happened - and the Times didn't want to diminish Bush's claim to the White House in the middle of a national crisis. So - the stolen election stood. And now here we are again - 12 years later - with Republicans trying to steal Florida for a second time. Governor Rick Scott knows his job - and that's too deliver the Sunshine State for Mitt Romney - just like Jeb Bush did for his brother in 2000. And - as the Miami Herlad reports - he's doing it by blatantly kicking Democrats off the rolls. If eight years of an illegitimate Bush Presidency should have taught us one thing - especially in Florida - it's how precious our votes are - and how drastically the nation could transform if just a few hundred people in one state are denied their voice in our democracy. Let's see to it that it doesn't happen again. If you're in Florida then you need to get out in the streets and get active against this war on voters. Because if you don't - then they'll steal it again.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Some kind of action needs to be done. We all know like this will happen. I wish you would take a balanced approach and link something as to the reason why his name is in question. I'll bet there is an understandable reason his name showed up.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some kind of action needs to be done. We all know like this will happen. I wish you would take a balanced approach and link something as to the reason why his name is in question. I'll bet there is an understandable reason his name showed up.
    What possible reason would cause his name to show up on a list of non-US citizens?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    What possible reason would cause his name to show up on a list of non-US citizens?
    I can think of several. I will not claiom any to be why. Why can't you think of any?

My point is this. PropagandaDan brings this story up, which is a clear hit piece to a process I think most people agree needs to happen. We can agree or disagree with that necessity, and I'm sure we do disagree.

Again, my gripe about this post Dan makes, and most others, is the completely one sided nature. Without giving a reason why Internicola is on the purge list, I thing the thread is a waste of time.

Now I believe Internicola is an Italian surname, which makes this confusing. Still, the other side of the story is "why" was he selected.

Where is the other side of the story? I'm not wasting my time with it, and I'm sure there is one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can think of several.
    Name them.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The county has a population of 1,748,066. I have no idea how many of that number are registered voters, but 359 out of that county is a pretty small percentage. I'm sure their methods have some selectivity to them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The county has a population of 1,748,066. I have no idea how many of that number are registered voters, but 359 out of that county is a pretty small percentage. I'm sure their methods have some selectivity to them.
    You aren't naming the "several" possible reasons.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    No.

Why can't you think of any?

You as a silly question. There are naturally several reasons possible. Are you saying there is no possible reason?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

You as a silly question. There are naturally several reasons possible. Are you saying there is no possible reason?
    I'm saying you can't think of several reasons this man was singled out and are embarrassed that you're being exposed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...and brave Wild Cobra ran away....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disenfranchising legit voters is the Repug idea of love of democracy and patriotism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

So you can't name any reasons.

Shocking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Internicola

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So let me gte this straight..the GOP is trying to eliminate 'illegal' votes..with no record of any actually ever of it being done....under the guise of free and fair elections... yet the policy they put in place will undoubtedly not allow for legitimate votes to be counted..

Maybe I have been living under a rock..but has anyone ever put forth any evidence that suggests that there is/ has been voter fraud? I am not referring to registering to vote, rather actual illegal votes being counted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK, I have a reason.
    Bill Iternicola is a 91-year-old Davie retiree, born in Brooklyn and a lifelong Democrat and voter.
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news...riences_a.html

keep asking questions George Gervin's Afro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So let me gte this straight..the GOP is trying to eliminate 'illegal' votes..with no record of any actually ever of it being done....under the guise of free and fair elections... yet the policy they put in place will undoubtedly not allow for legitimate votes to be counted..

Maybe I have been living under a rock..but has anyone ever put forth any evidence that suggests that there is/ has been voter fraud? I am not referring to registering to vote, rather actual illegal votes being counted.
    Not for lack of trying.
    Texas Attorney General Gregg Abbott, a Republican, launched an investigation in 2005 to uncover what he called an "epidemic" of voter fraud. But reviews of Abbott's investigation two years later yielded no cases of voter impersonation fraud. A Dallas Morning News review in 2008 found the 26 cases prosecuted were all against Democrats, most involved blacks and Hispanics, and typically involved people who helped elderly voters with mail-in ballots, but failed to follow state law by signing their names and addresses on the envelopes.

Abbot's investigation was paid for with a $1.4 million Justice Department crime-fighting grant.

After a five-year hunt for voter fraud, the Bush administration's Justice Department came up with little widespread fraud, finding mostly cases of people mistakenly filling out voter registration forms or voting when they didn't know they were ineligible, The New York Times reported in 2007. But none of the cases involved a person voting as someone else.
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1wTOg8tRs

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

This appears to be the Texas Voter Fraud fiasco writ even larger.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol Chump beat my ass to it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stomping on Human-Americans' "inalienable rights" like right to vote is one of the great skills of the Repug Gestapo

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    So you can't name any reasons.

Shocking.
    I can come up with plenty of "guesses." Guesses do not make fact.

Are you saying you can't think of any possible reasons why?

I'm not playing this silly game. That's all there is to it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can come up with plenty of "guesses." Guesses do not make fact.

Are you saying you can't think of any possible reasons why?

I'm not playing this silly game. That's all there is to it.
    You can't think of any possible reasons after you said there were several and you're being pissy because you were successfully called out about it.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    You can't think of any possible reasons after you said there were several and you're being pissy because you were successfully called out about it.
    I can think of many, but you have to keep in mind. As long as you have a silly demand, I will refuse. Just part of my nature.

You have no authority over me. I have no reason to satisfy your demands. In fact, I like watching you melt down when I don't give you what you want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can think of many, but you have to keep in mind. As long as you have a silly demand, I will refuse. Just part of my nature.

You have no authority over me. I have no reason to satisfy your demands. In fact, I like watching you melt down when I don't give you what you want.
    I like watching you act like you have reasons when you don't.

At least I came up with one.

Thread Information