Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only that but Timmy is playing over 30 mpg. There really seems to be no attempt to conserve our older players. Not sure it makes much of a difference but why is Pop approaching minute management so much different than last season? Yall worried about the tires falling off in the playoffs ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing guys big minutes during games helps improve endurance for the playoffs when they'll need to play that many minutes.

To rest them is beter to give them a game off every now and then but not getting them used to play just 20/25 minute per game.

But that's just my opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I know that what I said doesn't have much to do with the OP but I wanted to get that off my chest, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does the end of the shortened season entail, Alex?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yall worried about the tires falling off in the playoffs ?
    This team is built to succeed in the regular season.

The playoffs is where Pop will really succede.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing guys big minutes during games helps improve endurance for the playoffs when they'll need to play that many minutes.

To rest them is beter to give them a game off every now and then but not getting them used to play just 20/25 minute per game.

finally, something I agree 100% with DAF86.

as for the OP, its probably too early to say that Pop has changed his philosophy on this but its something to keep an eye on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is playing 23.8 minutes per game yet CoM thinks he's playing too much and needs games off?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is playing 23.8 minutes per game yet CoM thinks he's playing too much and needs games off?
    I would like to hear your opinion on my "bulding endurance" theory, tbh.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Interesting idea. I wonder if having Manu or Tim play 36 mpg but taking every third game off would help endurance while keeping total minutes to an acceptable level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The game against Toronto was an early game, i think that was the biggest reason that they still played against Washington.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This only occurred during last year's shortened season and even then it was a rare occurrence (usually during our b2b2b stretches). The Spurs were essentially the only team doing this early in the season. Not that it matters, but the league is not a fan of teams resting non-injured players and that may influence these decisions.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Timmy's knee isn't a factor, which it doesn't seem to be since he's dropped his weight, then the concept of saving minutes for the next game is much like the concept of saving fouls for the next game. As DAF said, keeping minutes down hasn't exactly reaped benefits in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Resting your key players during the season is stupid. Its a good move in theory but it prevents players from hiding that stride. Phil never rested MJ, Pippen, Kobe, Shaq. He rode theses horses like the horses they were. And he played them big minutes.

I think the reason our guys keep getting hurt with nagging is injuries is due to too much inconsistency with their minutes and games played. Its classic "Im smarter than you" Pop.

If someone is actually injured, then thats a different animal. But if not, then only rest them a game or two at the most before the playoffs to recharge the batteries...that's it.

silverblk mystix
    If you want to be a tough team - you have to practice and play as hard as you can. If it is meant to be you will be the last team standing-partly because you were also the toughest team out of all the teams.

If you want to have a soft team that gets man-handled and eliminated in the playoffs - then, by all means, start making excuses now and start "conserving" all your prima donnas. This "soft" at ude will keep your players soft and when they face a tough "no excuses" team - they will get embarrassed again. Everyone will blame everything and everyone else for the reason that you got man-handled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no B2B2B this year

in normal years the important guys would sit only 2-3 times a year. they'll sit in March/April, there are a three tough B2B's in those months.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are actually wondering why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am i really asking a question?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing about Ginobili playing too much while he is averaging 23.8mpg is a complete nonsense.

For Duncan, you can make a case that his minutes should be more around 28mpg than his current 30.9mpg. At the same time, he isn't easy to limit minutes of a MVP level player.
    With a PER of 27.3, Duncan is second in the league at the PER ranking only behind LeBron but with 30.9mpg, Duncan is 81st in the mpg list.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read an analysis of past champions and I'm pretty sure there is no significant benefit of going below 30mpg. Last time we won in '07 Duncan was at 34 mpg.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    huh? the OP was talking about limiting minutes, but most of the replies are saying its better to play more minutes and build stamina. if rest is an issue, better to take a whole game off, rather than limit minutes every game and have the players be used to 20/25 minute outings. No one is saying manu is playing too much, on the contrary we're saying he should play more minutes (and should have been playing more minutes in past years).

I remember in previous discussions you have always been a proponent of pop's extreme minute management, but IMO it doesn't work because the players cant flip the switch and just play more minutes in the PO.

It sucks to not have a younger team that can play extended minutes without fear of wear and tear, the ideal solution would be a shorter season but that obviously is not going to happen. So even if I understand why Pop is careful with manu and duncan's minutes, I'll always wonder what would have happened if he was less cautious 08, 10, 11 and 12... if it meant one more championship and the wheels falling off sooner, wouldn't everyone prefer that to consistently coming up short in the PO? Now they are so old that pop's logic makes more sense, but I don't think that was the case 2+ years ago... and I'm not sure its the right strategy now either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    huh? the OP was talking about limiting minutes, but most of the replies are saying its better to play more minutes and build stamina. if rest is an issue, better to take a whole game off, rather than limit minutes every game and have the players be used to 20/25 minute outings. No one is saying manu is playing too much, on the contrary we're saying he should play more minutes (and should have been playing more minutes in past years).

I remember in previous discussions you have always been a proponent of pop's extreme minute management, but IMO it doesn't work because the players cant flip the switch and just play more minutes in the PO.

It sucks to not have a younger team that can play extended minutes without fear of wear and tear, the ideal solution would be a shorter season but that obviously is not going to happen. So even if I understand why Pop is careful with manu and duncan's minutes, I'll always wonder what would have happened if he was less cautious 08, 10, 11 and 12... if it meant one more championship and the wheels falling off sooner, wouldn't everyone prefer that to consistently coming up short in the PO? Now they are so old that pop's logic makes more sense, but I don't think that was the case 2+ years ago... and I'm not sure its the right strategy now either.
    Exactly. I would rather have them play more minutes and get possibly a #5 and #6. You can't always guarantee you will have a chance to compete for a championship and you have to use every opportunity you get. The Spurs have been spoiled by being at consistently good for so long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am pretty sure that its more of Duncan wanting to play more minutes than it is pop wanting him to.
    This was my initial thought and why I made the thread. I dont really care or mind that Pop is playing our guys normal minutes, I was just wondering if maybe TD had a talk with Pop about going all in this year or something like that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was my initial thought and why I made the thread. I dont really care or mind that Pop is playing our guys normal minutes, I was just wondering if maybe TD had a talk with Pop about going all in this year or something like that.
    I'm sure Pop wants to sit them but I am sure TD doesn't want that. He knows it hasn't worked in the past. Pop has treated the regular season as something to just survive and get through but it's more important than that. It's about how you build your championship practices and pedigree. If you're not using the season to improve and get better you're hurting your chances of winning it all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu has to play even more to get in rhythm ... I am fine with Timmy right now as he not played much in the win over Washington ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This has always been my opinion too. The past few years in the playoffs, Duncan performance late in playoff games was more about being conditioned to play 35+ minutes versus just being old. That, and not having a defensive big beside him. Much has been made about "conserving" Duncan for the playoffs. The best way to conserve him is to get him some interior help, particularly on the defensive end.

Thread Information