Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    silverblk mystix
    First of all- I hope Pop is alright and gets well soon, but could this be a blessing for the remainder of the season?

If Pop sees the games from another perspective and just watches which players are contributing, which players are not,etc...

Rotations, time-outs called or not called.etc...

I know coach Bud is still running Pop's system and pretty much sticking to Pop's orders - but could Pop gain something from watching from the sidelines?

What do you think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do realize they watch tape right?

This team needs some one to stop Durant. I say double him and let the others beat us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You shouldn't start threads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This team needs some one to stop Durant. I say double him and let the others beat us.
    Nobody in the NBA stops Durant... I'd put Kawhi on Westbrook TBH

silverblk mystix

Thanks for your input.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +1

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony has shown he can do well on Westbrook. Kawhi is so good at denying the ball that I don't think he should be on Westbrook. Let Westbrook dominate the ball and make all the stupid mistakes he is known to make. Put Kawhi on Durant and hope that he deny Durant a few touches. If Durant gets the ball we know he is going to score. But I don't think shutting down Westbrook is the idea. I love it when he plays hero ball.

silverblk mystix
    What does Durant have to do with Pop's illness being a blessing in disguise?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does Durant have to do with Pop's illness being a blessing in disguise?
    Cause the only team in our path to the finals is the Thunder.

The Spurs are a lot like the New England Patriots and this league like the NFL is looking for younger coaches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They did it last time, Ibaka scored 30 or something

silverblk mystix

The Spurs are a lot like the New England Patriots and this league like the NFL is looking for younger coaches.

That is some worrisome overconfident thinking there....

How many times has it happened where someone thinks only this team stands in our way (example:Lakers) and then someone else (example:suns) beats the Spurs?

Too many times. The Spurs might not even have to face the Thunder for all we know.

I am just wondering if maybe Pop and the Spurs benefit as I don't recall Pop sitting out games with an illness in a long, long time. There was the occasional Pop is out for a game for personal reasons or just taking a breather or an ejection for a half a game - but I don't recall him missing a couple of games with illness and sometimes when you are under the weather and away from things...you get a new or different perspective on life, work, etc...

Just wondering if this little time away (in the middle of a season) might not give Pop something he can use later in the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people were laughing at the OP, but look at what Pop said:

“It’s an out of body sort of experience,” he said. “It’s very strange. In other ways, it was real interesting. It was actually, in some ways, pretty educational.”

I would say that Pop probably did notice a few things or learn a few things just from watching the game from a different perspective. Yes, they watch game tape and they analyze those videos for hours, but it's not the same as watching a live game from beginning to end. For him to say it was an educational experience, means he's seen things he might not notice while coaching on the floor.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...-questionable/

hasta la victoria, siempre cheguevara's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good point. Pop watching his spurs on TV. new perspective.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not the same as watching game live.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for your input.
    You should know by now that starting any thread about Lord Poppy (no matter how tasteful or thoughtful) will generate knee jerk responses from the usual suspects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the west is wide open. Anybody who thinks otherwise is plain delusional

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the west is wide open. Anybody who thinks otherwise is plain delusional
    If by "wide open" you mean "3", yes, it's wide open for the Clips, Spurs, or Thunderefs to win.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

“It’s an out of body sort of experience,” he said. “It’s very strange. In other ways, it was real interesting. It was actually, in some ways, pretty educational.”

I would say that Pop probably did notice a few things or learn a few things just from watching the game from a different perspective. Yes, they watch game tape and they analyze those videos for hours, but it's not the same as watching a live game from beginning to end. For him to say it was an educational experience, means he's seen things he might not notice while coaching on the floor.

more blair pt .............

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody in the NBA stops Durant... I'd put Kawhi on Westbrook TBH
    With the risk of being chastised, I really don't think that is a bad idea. I think Kawhi could completely shut down Westbrook. But who guards Durant? Manu? You can't stop him, but you can't let him drop 50 either. Who guards Martin?

silverblk mystix
    With the risk of being chastised, I really don't think that is a bad idea. I think Kawhi could completely shut down Westbrook. But who guards Durant? Manu? You can't stop him, but you can't let him drop 50 either. Who guards Martin?

It would be just as important to make sure the TEAM defense is at its peak - then Durant would be less effective - and it wouldn't just fall on one guy to be responsible for Durant or Westbrook.

silverblk mystix

Sometimes people can't stand the truth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say yes it will be a blessing.

In the few games I've seen so far Bud seems to have a better feel for setting rotations and knowing which players need to be out on the floor at any particular time.. While Pop is a GREAT GM and has really done great work in the past few years addressing the teams' weaknesses, it seems like every year he finds some way to shoot the team in the foot at the worst time with stupid rotations decisions that make no sense... whether its keeping the wrong guys nailed to the bench (Splitter) and/or trying to force niche role players at best (like Bonner / Blair) into major roles. Like last season after acquiring Diaw which was a great move but then he waited at least a full month to finally work him into a starting role and by then the playoffs were just around the corner and the Diaw had basically no experience working with the starters. Just one example.

I do think its time for Pop to stay in the shadows as the puppetmaster behind the scenes while Bud takes over as the full-time coach. That's alot of responsibility on one man and Pop has been trying to cover both bases for far too long IMHO. The man is completely burned out, both mentally and spiritually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree. Should they watched the tapes, those would still be the games Pop coached.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony has shown he can do well on Westbrook. Kawhi is so good at denying the ball that I don't think he should be on Westbrook. Let Westbrook dominate the ball and make all the stupid mistakes he is known to make. Put Kawhi on Durant and hope that he deny Durant a few touches. If Durant gets the ball we know he is going to score. But I don't think shutting down Westbrook is the idea. I love it when he plays hero ball.
    I agree with this. The Spurs should focus on limiting Durant's touches as much as possible, and force Westbrick to play hero ball.

I say yes it will be a blessing.

In the few games I've seen so far Bud seems to have a better feel for setting rotations and knowing which players need to be out on the floor at any particular time.. While Pop is a GREAT GM and has really done great work in the past few years addressing the teams' weaknesses, it seems like every year he finds some way to shoot the team in the foot at the worst time with stupid rotations decisions that make no sense... whether its keeping the wrong guys nailed to the bench (Splitter) and/or trying to force niche role players at best (like Bonner / Blair) into major roles. Like last season after acquiring Diaw which was a great move but then he waited at least a full month to finally work him into a starting role and by then the playoffs were just around the corner and the Diaw had basically no experience working with the starters. Just one example.

I do think its time for Pop to stay in the shadows as the puppetmaster behind the scenes while Bud takes over as the full-time coach. That's alot of responsibility on one man and Pop has been trying to cover both bases for far too long IMHO. The man is completely burned out, both mentally and spiritually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all- I hope Pop is alright and gets well soon, but could this be a blessing for the remainder of the season?

If Pop sees the games from another perspective and just watches which players are contributing, which players are not,etc...

Rotations, time-outs called or not called.etc...

I know coach Bud is still running Pop's system and pretty much sticking to Pop's orders - but could Pop gain something from watching from the sidelines?

What do you think?
    I actually agree with this. Watching a full game could definitely give Pop another perspective. He may have seen something differently that he might not have otherwise have seen.

Thread Information