Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Kobe Bryant challenged Dwight Howard to return to the Los Angeles Lakers' lineup following their win over the Nets.

The Lakers lost Pau Gasol to injury in the game and Bryant thinks Howard can play through the injury.

"He's probably worried about the damage in his shoulder," Bryant said. "I don't think he's ever had to play through injuries in his career. I think it's a new experience for him."

Bryant has postponed surgeries until the offseason and played through pain several times throughout his career.

"When I was growing up, going through high school and middle school, unfortunately but fortunately I dealt with injuries," Bryant said. "Not injuries that were debilitating but injuries you have to play through where you have to manage the pain. When you go through those things you learn your body and what you can push through.

"But Dwight has never been hurt. The [back injury last season] was debilitating and he couldn't play. When you have an injury that hurts you but you can play through it that's something you have to balance out and manage and he's never really had to do that."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...houlder-Injury

Kobe basically calling Dwight a pussy!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

kobe is not wrong but damn it is not going to help Lakers locker room

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome. You can always count on Kobe to put the cancer back in the locker room.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe with the "look at me I'm better" per par.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bragging about playing with jammed fingers lol.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Kobe never had a problem with being a to teammates.

In this instance, I might agree with him more if not for the fact that Dwight Howard does have to think about his career as well as his team. Since he doesn't have a contract beyond this season and is still set up for a big (and maybe last big) contract for his basketball career, he has to weigh the risks of playing with the shoulder injury. More players should man up and play through injuries, and even though Dwight Howard has been a jackass the last couple seasons, I would totally understand if he felt he needed to protect his career interests this time.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big difference is that Kobe's game has some tools in it that allow him to be effective playing hurt. TOSB Kobe is still capable of contributing. Pretty much all Dwight's got going for him is his athleticism. If he can't beat his man down the court for position, power through defenders on the post, or outleap someone for an alley oop he's a liability.

Doesn't look like the Lakers are going anywhere this year, and from we've seen of Dwight when he's less than 100% all that playing hurt will do is give them a chance to really wonder if he's worth tying up for 5 years.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe never had a problem with being a to teammates.

In this instance, I might agree with him more if not for the fact that Dwight Howard does have to think about his career as well as his team. Since he doesn't have a contract beyond this season and is still set up for a big (and maybe last big) contract for his basketball career, he has to weigh the risks of playing with the shoulder injury. More players should man up and play through injuries, and even though Dwight Howard has been a jackass the last couple seasons, I would totally understand if he felt he needed to protect his career interests this time.
    Like when Grant Hill manned up and played in 2000?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe's getting paid 30 million this year. Dwight's in a contract year and has his future to think of. I understand Kobe's angry about his legacy being tarnished(that's all he thinks about these days) but it's selfish of him to expect a teammate to play through an injury - especially when his future earnings are at stake.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Exactly. But in retrospect, it wasn't as much an issue of Grant Hill playing while hurt. It was more of an issue of him getting a misdiagnosis of the actual injury to his foot. That's what ed him up. Had he known what was really wrong with his foot, he probably doesn't "man up" and play through it. He thought he could because doctors said it was okay when it really wasn't.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So I'm guessing Dwight should only play hurt (through non debilitating pain) when he's signed the deal....my take is that regardless of what happens (for the most part) to Dwight he's getting a max deal...unless he has a major knee injury...he can play right now he's just taking a few extra days...he doesn't have the drive nor has he ever had it to be the best he can be....He coasts on raw athleticism... Cully was so right about this guy....

Spurs > Yankees > Knicks Technique's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like Avery Bradley

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    kobe's manipulation in order to coattail yet another big to the playoffs is so transparent, IMO TBH

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is playing through injury can make things worse for the player in the shoulder. Kobe will feel it when he gets older but oh well, King Kobe speaks

Banned
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    playing through injuries ain't the same thing to bigs as it is to guards imho. when your big is injured you better keep him out of the match until he's fully healed. bigs' bodies bear more weight which puts their bones & joints at bigger risk of getting damanged than them guards imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We don't have time for (Howard's shoulder) to heal," Bryant said Wednesday in an exclusive interview with ESPNBoston.com's Jackie MacMullan. "We need some urgency."

The interview with MacMullan came one day after Bryant publicly challenged Howard, stating that playing through an injury is "something that you have to balance out and manage."

Bryant also asserted that Howard is preoccupied with how he is perceived by fans and media.

"Dwight worries too much about what people think," Bryant told MacMullan. "I told him, 'You can't worry about that. It's holding you back.' He says, 'OK, OK, OK,' but it's always hovering around him.

"He just wants people to like him. He doesn't want to let anyone down, and that gets him away from what he should be doing."

Bryant also speculated that Howard, in his first season with Los Angeles, may not be accustomed to the Lakers' standards.

"(Howard) has never been in a position where someone is driving him as hard as I am, as hard as this organization is," Bryant told MacMullan. "It's win a championship or everything is a complete failure. That's just how (the Lakers) do it. And that's foreign to him.

"When you think about it, there aren't many organizations that look at it that way. There are only two that can really honestly say that's what they live by -- Los Angeles and Boston."
    Wow. Don't even know where to begin with all this talk. One thing is for sure, Kirby is demented. Powertrip-full-of-himself-narcissistic demented.

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kobe needs to ease up on this until Dwight actually resigns. Once he signs that contract then rip into his azz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. Don't even know where to begin with all this talk. One thing is for sure, Kirby is demented. Powertrip-full-of-himself-narcissistic demented.
    I've been saying that forever. there's something wrong with the . look up the definitions for sociopath or narcissistic personality disorder, Rapist fits the definition to the T. someone like that should never be in a position of leadership imo.

Dwight is as good as gone.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I've been saying that forever. there's something wrong with the . look up the definitions for sociopath or narcissistic personality disorder, Rapist fits the definition to the T. someone like that should never be in a position of leadership imo.

Dwight is as good as gone.
    STFU ...nothing wrong with that dat ...you punks just not use to seeing a real live tell it like it is...yall live in a fantasy world and don't have a clue about what's happening beyond that ing dirty rat infested river walk....you don't give to 5 rings individually and 16-17 as an organization pussy footin around

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dwight should just have surgery now so he can be ready for next season.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    go comb your nappy ass hair

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best way to speak to a teammate is through the media. Very insightful.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    That would be full of win imo

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    TBH, Kobe must be giving Dwight SVG flashbacks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    STFU ...nothing wrong with that dat ...you punks just not use to seeing a real live tell it like it is...yall live in a fantasy world and don't have a clue about what's happening beyond that ing dirty rat infested river walk....you don't give to 5 rings individually and 16-17 as an organization pussy footin around
    The reason Kirby is so insistent Dwight step up and play through the pain is because he knows he's big man dependent.

Thread Information