Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad list, but here it is with Timmy #14.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12599167

ESPN.com celebrates its 20th anniversary this week. We'll be highlighting some of the top teams, athletes and moments that characterized greatness in sports from 1995 to 2015.

Michael Jordan, Michael Phelps, Serena Williams, Tiger Woods -- which athletes defined the pinnacle of sports over the past two decades? Our staff chose the following athletes as the best of the best. Athletes were limited to those whose careers existed or their crowning achievements occurred within the last 20 years.

No. 20: Sidney Crosby
    No. 19: Barry Bonds
    No. 18: Mia Hamm
    No. 17: Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    No. 16: Usain Bolt
    No. 15: Brett Favre
    No. 14: Tim Duncan
    No. 13: Lance Armstrong
    No. 12: Lionel Messi
    No. 11: Shaquille O'Neal
    No. 10: Derek Jeter
    No. 9: Michael Phelps
    No. 8: Kobe Bryant
    No. 7: Peyton Manning
    No. 6: Serena Williams

No. 5: Roger Federer

"Personally, I've gotten used to Roger breaking my records," Pete Sampras once said. What record, after all, has Federer not chased? He eclipsed Sampras' 14 Grand Slam les in 2009, then tallied two more for good measure. He spent 302 weeks atop the ATP rankings, 16 more than Sampras, his closest compe or. And yet, there remains one record Federer hasn't yet claimed outright: He has matched, but not surpassed, Sampras' seven Wimbledon championships. Not even Federer, immortal though he once may have seemed, can fend off age and injury ... But there is one who believes the Swiss has one more left in him, and who knows better than Pete Sampras?

No. 4: Tom Brady

6: The draft round in which the New England Patriots tapped former Michigan quarterback Tom Brady 15 years ago; 3: The times he has earned Super Bowl MVP honors; 13: The years separating Brady's first Super Bowl win -- a 20-17 victory over the St. Louis Rams on Feb. 3, 2002 -- and his fourth, just two months ago; 0: The number of quarterbacks with more Super Bowl wins to his name. Only Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw join Brady as four-time champions, and that, we think, is some all-time company.

No. 3: Tiger Woods

On June 15, 2008, Tiger Woods stood 15 treacherous feet away from Torrey Pines' 18th hole. One shot shy of U.S. Open leader Rocco Mediate, it was birdie or bust for the world's best golfer on Father's Day. He pulled his putter back. He struck the ball. The ball nearly lipped out, and then:

"Expect anything different?" NBC announcer Dan Hicks said.

The ball found the hole. Of course, it found the hole. It might seem like an eternity ago -- seven years is an eternity in the life of an athlete -- but for a moment, there was no surer thing than Woods. He collected 14 majors in 12 years' time, and even if there are no more to come, even if today's Woods is but a s of the early-aughts era legend, we saw Tiger prowling the greens in red and black. So we saw greatness.

No. 2: LeBron James

When the Cleveland Cavaliers selected hometown kid James with the first pick of the 2003 NBA draft, we were all witnesses. When the King took his talents to South Beach seven years later, we were all witnesses. And four years after that, when James announced he was coming home, we were all witnesses. There were five championship appearances, two les won and four MVP honors in between. He was beloved, reviled, then beloved again, and all before he was 30.

No. 1: Michael Jordan

The tongue. The clincher. The flu. The fax. Yes, the '90s belonged to His Airness -- and every last moment he left in his iconic wake. Jordan won back-to-back-to-back championships starting in the 1995-96 season -- and as many Finals MVPs -- but above all else, he gave rise to an entire generation that just wanted to be like Mike. "I think he's God, disguised as Michael Jordan," Larry Bird once said ... along with just about every other sports fan who had the privilege to watch Jordan elevate the game of basketball to an art form.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Terrible list. Where's pacman? Ronaldo? Ronaldinho? Nonu?

Terrible ty list

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I lol'ed at the QBs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    April Fool

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lance Armstrong?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's nice to see that ESPN thinks that Tim Duncan's career of excellence is less noteworthy than Lance Armstrong's mountain of lies. At least they're being honest with their biases.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's nice to see that ESPN thinks that Tim Duncan's career of excellence is less noteworthy than Lance Armstrong's mountain of lies. At least they're being honest with their biases.
    At Jeter and Shaq at being higher than Duncan. At Serena Hair Beads being a top 10 athlete of the last 20 years.

Amazing that Messi is even on the list. Considering worldwide he's MUCH more well known than almost anyone on this list. And isn't 20 years just back to 1995 (you all feel old now)? I don't even know if Jordan should be eligible considering he won 1 le after 95.

This list is absolutely full of incompetence. Too many problems to even critique it.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, no .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At Jeter and Shaq at being higher than Duncan. At Serena Hair Beads being a top 10 athlete of the last 20 years.

Amazing that Messi is even on the list. Considering worldwide he's MUCH more well known than almost anyone on this list. And isn't 20 years just back to 1995 (you all feel old now)? I don't even know if Jordan should be eligible considering he won 1 le after 95.

This list is absolutely full of incompetence. Too many problems to even critique it.
    PED users aside, Jeter is the most overrated U.S. athlete, and KB is #2.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should be

1. Tiger
    2. Federer
    3. Duncan
    4. Brady
    5. Shaq
    6. LeBron
    7. Kobe
    8. Jordan
    9. Mia Hamm
    10. Messi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree with everything you say, except I do believe Jordan won les in 96, 97, and 98. Which would be 3 after 95.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BS. Duncan should be higher than 14

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should be

1. Tiger
    2. Federer
    3. Duncan
    4. Brady
    5. Shaq
    6. LeBron
    7. Kobe
    8. Jordan
    9. Mia Hamm
    10. Messi
    I can almost agree with this but Floyd has to be on this list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with everything you say, except I do believe Jordan won les in 96, 97, and 98. Which would be 3 after 95.
    Whoops. That's right. Total brain fart.

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Sidney Crosby
    Derek Jeter
    BRETT FAVRE

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whoops. That's right. Total brain fart.
    No worries. Happens to all of us.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonah Lomu should be on the list, imo.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can almost agree with this but Floyd has to be on this list.
    OK.

11. Manny
    12. Floyd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is top 5 easily. He has accomplished more than everyone on that list except Jordan, Federer, and maybe Tiger (but that's a stretch).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lance armstrong and tiger woods

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm usain bolt has a meaningful world record. I'd kind of put him at #1. Lance Armstrong was still an amazing cyclist, just a terrible human being running a giant conspiracy. But cycling is a dumb sport.

At least NASCAR isn't in the list

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #1 should be the JAMAICAN speed runner. iMo

And Phelps should be way hugher. Best Olympian ever???

ESPN reaching new lows

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Duncan should be top 10,due to his longevity.

ing re ed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And why 20 years? Why not 21 or 5 or 30???

ing dumb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And why 20 years? Why not 21 or 5 or 30???

ing dumb
    20th anniversary

Thread Information