Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    At least in downtown

http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/...g-180808.shtml

SAN ANTONIO - Mayor Ivy Taylor, along with the head of Google Fiber - Mark Strama , announced on Wednesday the expansion of Google Fiber into the San Antonio market. The project will bring "gigabit" speeds of internet connectivity into San Antonio's downtown area and the surrounding neighborhoods. Strama said gigabit speeds will allow people to use more applications at faster speeds and at higher capacity. "We can and we will close the digital divide," said Mayor Taylor. Taylor also suggested the expansion of Google Fiber into San Antonio will create jobs and may encourage other large companies to move here. The Google Fiber initiative is a public-private partnership and will encompass more than 4,000 linear miles of fiber optic cable.

Read More at: http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/...g-180808.shtml

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've been waiting for a legitimate compe or to come to San Antonio for years. My buddies in Florida have bright house and there constantly being upgraded for free. They've had over 300mb down for years. Time warner barely upgraded to those speeds but at a hefty price. Can't wait for Google to come and kick ass. It's better for everyone. Let the price war begin!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yeah, gigabit speeds for the Casianos and Victoria courts

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've been waiting for a legitimate compe or to come to San Antonio for years. My buddies in Florida have bright house and there constantly being upgraded for free. They've had over 300mb down for years. Time warner barely upgraded to those speeds but at a hefty price. Can't wait for Google to come and kick ass. It's better for everyone. Let the price war begin!
    Grande has been kicking TWC's ass for internet for years, but their service area isnt city wide yet.. I just moved and had to go back to TWC, thankfully im in an upgraded area at least.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yeah, gigabit speeds for the Casianos and Victoria courts
    yeah vato! Puro pinche interwebs!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Grande has been kicking TWC's ass for internet for years, but their service area isnt city wide yet.. I just moved and had to go back to TWC, thankfully im in an upgraded area at least.
    I'm in an upgraded areas for twc as well and I'm enjoying the upgraded speeds but for a price. I've also been hoping for years that grande would expand but it hasn't happened. I read that att will be upgrading to gigabit soon also. The best thing would be to have 3 legit choices. I'm tired of having only one option for highspeed internet.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm in an upgraded areas for twc as well and I'm enjoying the upgraded speeds but for a price. I've also been hoping for years that grande would expand but it hasn't happened. I read that att will be upgrading to gigabit soon also. The best thing would be to have 3 legit choices. I'm tired of having only one option for highspeed internet.
    Yeah, I agree. I have the same speed i had with Grande, but for 15 more per month.. 7 of that is towards a wireless router rental though, so its not too terrible.

I think the 300 mbps is 85 a month, iirc.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    "att will be upgrading to gigabit soon also."

what technology provide gigabit over copper?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks
    I wonder if it will eventually be in Converse, Universal City, etc. Very interested
    Last edited by John Petrucci; 08-05-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sounds like immediate downtown area. 4000 miles of fiber won't cover all of SA.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    They'll go neighborhood by neighborhood to make sure enough people sign up to make it worth their while. It is a long ass process, about 1.5 years before the bits start flying. It is nice that TWC and others are already bumping up speeds in the meantime. Compe ion is a good thing where you can get it.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Yeah, I agree. I have the same speed i had with Grande, but for 15 more per month.. 7 of that is towards a wireless router rental though, so its not too terrible.

I think the 300 mbps is 85 a month, iirc.
    400 is $65 in austin, hopefully it those prices make their way down from here soon. grande ATT and their added privacy price tier. gogole fiber is ghost north of the river

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yeah vato! Puro pinche interwebs!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Army Black Knights
    At least in downtown

http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/...g-180808.shtml

SAN ANTONIO - Mayor Ivy Taylor, along with the head of Google Fiber - Mark Strama , announced on Wednesday the expansion of Google Fiber into the San Antonio market. The project will bring "gigabit" speeds of internet connectivity into San Antonio's downtown area and the surrounding neighborhoods. Strama said gigabit speeds will allow people to use more applications at faster speeds and at higher capacity. "We can and we will close the digital divide," said Mayor Taylor. Taylor also suggested the expansion of Google Fiber into San Antonio will create jobs and may encourage other large companies to move here. The Google Fiber initiative is a public-private partnership and will encompass more than 4,000 linear miles of fiber optic cable.

Read More at: http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/...g-180808.shtml

Are they finally bringing in clean running water to that hole as well...

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    probably downtown, medical center/northwest, and rich neighborhoods with buried utility conduits for easy cable pulling.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Tap water has always been awesome there.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    We have water in San Antonio...The people in California will have to get used to drinking
    recycle sewer water.....will your water taste like bean tacos?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Trinity Tigers
    In those vanishingly small areas where they will have to compete with Google.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Cool, now idiots can post even faster!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Also if you don't have fiber in your home, you're basically still running either cable or 2 wire DSL. lol

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the biggest impediment to good browsing speed is all the ad servers gumming up nearly every web page. I'm frequently blocked from reading a web page because it's frozen incomplete waiting for one or more ad servers.

Anyway, fiber to home will be a lot more expensive, so the fiber people will install in the high $$$ neighborhoods first that are more probable to buy fiber than the SA east, west, south sides.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    the biggest impediment to good browsing speed is all the ad servers gumming up nearly every web page. I'm frequently blocked from reading a web page because it's frozen incomplete waiting for one or more ad servers.
    Turn off Flash or use firefox with NoScript.

Anyway, fiber to home will be a lot more expensive, so the fiber people will install in the high $$$ neighborhoods first that are more probable to buy fiber than the SA east, west, south sides.
    Fiber rollout prioritization here in Austin looks to be based more on ease of construction than anything else.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Google Fiber needs to come to Corpus Christi TX........

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I would have to agree.....TWC is the worst.....Plus TWC charges a lot.....

Thread Information