Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curious to whether pop will allow Lamarcus to shoot the 3 ball this up coming season.

Last season was the first year he added the shot to his game shooting 37 of 105 for .352 ( The previous year he only took 15 attempts)

As a reference point Boris Diaw was 54 of 169 last season for .320

What do you guys think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It shouldn't be a question of Pop letting him shoot 3s; it should be Pop forcing him to.

Either that or he needs to rework his game entirely, because those inefficient long 2s will bury us this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to take plenty of long 2's and 3's this season, IE, most of his open shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're Chip though, how much do you mess with LMA's shot? He obviously has a great jumpshot, it might just be about getting the reps up. I don't think he should start taking too many though, something similar to Tony/Boris where he takes it if shot clock is winding down and he happens to be wide open.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm taking a wait and see approach. There's a lot of variables...Exactly how LMA is ins uted in the system...How much he buys into the system vs. hero ball, etc. Obviously there's some ideals; but we shouldn't assume that things will go to plan.

Hopefully, the Spurs have the right mix of LMA spreading the court with threes and doing damage down on the block.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting to be a 38-40% shooter from deep will extend his NBA shelf life by a few years. I'm sure he himself wants to work on it.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting to be a 38-40% shooter from deep will extend his NBA shelf life by a few years. I'm sure he himself wants to work on it.
    Yup. Given that Aldridge already started that evolution in his game last season, I would think he's willing to continue it.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. Given that Aldridge already started that evolution in his game last season, I would think he's willing to continue it.
    Yes, my thoughts exactly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It shouldn't be a question of Pop letting him shoot 3s; it should be Pop forcing him to.

Either that or he needs to rework his game entirely, because those inefficient long 2s will bury us this season.
    I agree, but if there's a player that you'd be ok with shooting those occasional long twos that the system produces it would be Aldridge. Incidentally, another would be West.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People should realise that no shot is 'inefficient' if the shooter has a certain percentage making that shot that is way above what the average player can do. D. West having 48% chance to score 2 points from 18 feet is not 'inefficient'. LMA being able to make them a 42%+ even with a defender on him is not 'inefficient'. A three from the corner is an 'efficient' shot. Not when Tim Duncan is taking it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to take plenty of long 2's and 3's this season, IE, most of his open shots.
    Shooting 35% on threes is the same as shooting 52.5% on long twos, in terms of shot attempt to points, and even LMA doesn't shoot that well from long two range. Ditch the long two unless the clock is running down, and take two giant steps backwards behind the arc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People should realise that no shot is 'inefficient' if the shooter has a certain percentage making that shot that is way above what the average player can do. D. West having 48% chance to score 2 points from 18 feet is not 'inefficient'. LMA being able to make them a 42%+ even with a defender on him is not 'inefficient'. A three from the corner is an 'efficient' shot. Not when Tim Duncan is taking it.
    You don't understand the Spurs at all. You don't compare a player's long two percentage against other players, you compare it to better shot locations on the floor. That's where you measure efficiencies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooting 35% on threes is the same as shooting 52.5% on long twos, in terms of shot attempt to points, and even LMA doesn't shoot that well from long two range. Ditch the long two unless the clock is running down, and take two giant steps backwards behind the arc.
    LMA loves the long 2, though. He's a lot more comfortable shooting that shot than any other shot on the floor. After a season of settling in we can revisit this, but I'd be surprised if he shoots more 3's than he did last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA loves the long 2, though. He's a lot more comfortable shooting that shot than any other shot on the floor. After a season of settling in we can revisit this, but I'd be surprised if he shoots more 3's than he did last season.
    I'd be surprised if he doesn't put up 200+. I always think of Boris as a reluctant shooter, and even he hoisted up 150+ last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be surprised if he doesn't put up 200+. I always think of Boris as a reluctant shooter, and even he hoisted up 150+ last year.
    Hmm, good point. How many long 2's did Boris shoot, though?

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't understand the Spurs at all. You don't compare a player's long two percentage against other players, you compare it to better shot locations on the floor. That's where you measure efficiencies.
    Lol, I don't understand the Spurs, sure. I guess when LMA has his man 10 feet away and has the ball 18 feet from the basket i should yell 'PASS', eh. I guess if the Spurs signed Dirk, Pop would forbid him his fadeways, no? I don't compare a player's long two percentage against other players, I compare it to the percentage above which a shot from that distance becomes efficient , PPP-wise. An open three is much more efficient PPP-wise, even if you're shooting it at 35%, but if you can't get it, the secondary option of passing it to LMA for an open 18 footer is better than Danny pump faking and driving. Our system is predicated on manufacturing options, lots of them. We got another one this year. People should understand what 'efficient' means in an option-based offense. Kyle Korver pulling up from 3 at the break is an efficient shot. Kareem skyhooking from 10 feet is an efficient shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, good point. How many long 2's did Boris shoot, though?
    I would guess not a lot. SA's offense is designed to put a big outside the arc within the flow of the offense.

Most bigs with skills are just dying to be guards. Just look at Timmy bring the ball up the floor from time to time. I'm guessing that getting LMA to take threes won't be a problem at all. The offense will put him in the right location, and he'll let 'em fly.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Boy are you gonna hate having West and Aldridge on this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he starts jacking up 3s he's a pussy and needs to be traded asap.

His post game and paint game fits the spurs perfectly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw there is a difference between a long 2 from post play and a long 2 off the dribble or catch n shoot.

Imo the post play long 2s are as efficient as any other shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, I don't understand the Spurs, sure. I guess when LMA has his man 10 feet away and has the ball 18 feet from the basket i should yell 'PASS', eh. I guess if the Spurs signed Dirk, Pop would forbid him his fadeways, no? I don't compare a player's long two percentage against other players, I compare it to the percentage above which a shot from that distance becomes efficient , PPP-wise. An open three is much more efficient PPP-wise, even if you're shooting it at 35%, but if you can't get it, the secondary option of passing it to LMA for an open 18 footer is better than Danny pump faking and driving. Our system is predicated on manufacturing options, lots of them. We got another one this year. People should understand what 'efficient' means in an option-based offense. Kyle Korver pulling up from 3 at the break is an efficient shot. Kareem skyhooking from 10 feet is an efficient shot.
    If you put Korver and Kareem on evenly matched teams, and play one quarter with each being the only shooter on their teams, and they each put up 20 shots, Korver's team wins going away. Kareem's skyhook at 10 feet is not a 75% shot, which is what he would need to match Korver's 50% from three point land.

As for your "passing when wide open" scenario, the Spurs do that ALL THE TIME while looking for a better shot. Good to better to best. He'll figure it out. He came here to win. He took a ton of long twos over 9 years in Portland, and got out of the first round once. Thank he might want to do it our way? I do.

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    Spursfan while LMA takes those 'efficient' long twos and the GS got brothers take those corner threes:

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you put Korver and Kareem on evenly matched teams, and play one quarter with each being the only shooter on their teams, and they each put up 20 shots, Korver's team wins going away. Kareem's skyhook at 10 feet is not a 75% shot, which is what he would need to match Korver's 50% from three point land. As for your "passing when wide open" scenario, the Spurs do that ALL THE TIME while looking for a better shot. Good to better to best. He'll figure it out. He came here to win. He took a ton of long twos over 9 years in Portland, and got out of the first round once. Thank he might want to do it our way? I do.
    What kind of an example is that? What is easier to do? Stop Korver from launching transition 3s or take away Kareem's hook from the mid-post? Korver's seconday option is to pass it, Kareem can score in 10 different ways from 10 feet. Good to better to best it is. If the opponent takes away the 'best', you go to the 'better' ,not the 'good', which is the difference between an LMA 2 and a Danny pump and drive. If you really think Pop will ever make LMA pass it when wide open from 18 and everybody else covered you don't know your Spurs. You don't know Portland either, if you claim LMA's efficiency was the reason they plateaued.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao did someone compare Korver to Kareem???

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not true. You're not factoring in FT attempts. A player gets more FT attempts on 2 ptrs by far than 3 pt. The true measure of efficiency is PPS or points per shot. Or True shooting % factors in FT attempts.

As far as LMA, he doesn't get a ton of FT attempts but he does get some.
    Overall he is a pretty efficient offensive player, and very difficult to defend when he gets hot. Like Dirk, you can't defend a fadeaway jumper by a 7 ftr. The question mark for Aldridge is his defense.

Thread Information