Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If some of you highly skilled highly knowledgeable STs want to help me bag the ultimate bang-for-the-buck laptop in the $500 - 550 range on Black Friday, bring it!
    Refurbished? If factory with warranty, ok. Otherwise nah.

If i have to camp out with a sleeping bag and provide photographic updates to ST, i will do so.

Daily user, not a gamer, don't HAVE to have i5 or i7 chip.
    Screens gotta be 15' or 17" unless a lesser screen you tell me the rest of the unit is great.

Places I've looked so far just to get a range:
    TigerDirect.com
    SlickDeals.net

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This might be a good deal, tbh... hard to find an i7 Laptop for that, plus it's a free upgrade to Windows 10

http://www.dealsofamerica.com/HP-ENV...RAM/275189.htm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said he's not a gamer... and any decent gaming laptop will run you over $500 easily, unless you're skimping with an AMD cpu...

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unless you're skimping with an AMD cpu...
    He's asking for a laptop, not to set his crotch on fire tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's asking for a laptop, not to set his crotch on fire tbh.
    lol 25min battery life

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're willing to s out 500+ aren't you better off building your own rig?

500 for a laptop is abit much. Specially if all you're going to do is look for gossiping sites.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    As far as I care, laptops are a joke unless you are going to have at least a 1600 x 900 display. The last two i bought are full HD... 1920 x 1080.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Will this one suffice?

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-.../dp/B00XQXZLVG

$389.99

AMD A8 7410 2 GHz Processor
    4 GB DDR3L SDRAM; AMD Radeon R5
    1 TB HDD Storage; Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
    17.3 Inch HD+ (1600x900) LED-lit Truelife Screen
    Windows 8.1 Operating System; Silver Chassis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on your requirements, you don't have to wait for Black Friday sale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This might be a good deal, tbh... hard to find an i7 Laptop for that, plus it's a free upgrade to Windows 10

http://www.dealsofamerica.com/HP-ENV...RAM/275189.htm
    Ya something like this.
    But will Black Friday bring an even better deal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    should just get a tablet with a keyboard addon....
    Can you give a for-instance?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're willing to s out 500+ aren't you better off building your own rig?
    How portable would it be or not be?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    500 for a laptop is abit much. Specially if all you're going to do is look for gossiping sites.
    But TMZ has so many ads and other stories loading in the background.
    You want me to have quick access to them, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always see i3 laptops for around $300 or so around Black Friday. What's the ing point of the i5 and i7 laptops anyways? Most of them are just hyperthreaded dual cores with slight clock bumps over the i3s. It seems like only the really expensive i7 laptops have an actual quadcore hyperthreaded i7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always see i3 laptops for around $300 or so around Black Friday. What's the ing point of the i5 and i7 laptops anyways? Most of them are just hyperthreaded dual cores with slight clock bumps over the i3s. It seems like only the really expensive i7 laptops have an actual quadcore hyperthreaded i7.
    I'm not sure if the laptop i3s are the same as the desktop counterparts, but if they are, battery power would be a reason. The i3 has no turbo, they're just clocked much higher and run at that speed (using that much juice) all the time. The i5/i7 will shut down cores, and even step down clock rates significantly while not doing intensive work (ie: browsing files on the desktop or even reading webpages). In that scenario at least an i5 makes sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure if the laptop i3s are the same as the desktop counterparts, but if they are, battery power would be a reason. The i3 has no turbo, they're just clocked much higher and run at that speed (using that much juice) all the time. The i5/i7 will shut down cores, and even step down clock rates significantly while not doing intensive work (ie: browsing files on the desktop or even reading webpages). In that scenario at least an i5 makes sense.
    It looks like at least on Broadwell they have frequency scaling down for power saving, though I think you're right about Haswell and before.

http://ark.intel.com/products/84697/...Cache-2_10-GHz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fabbs

Even a Black Friday topic is awkward for him smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks like at least on Broadwell they have frequency scaling down for power saving, though I think you're right about Haswell and before.

http://ark.intel.com/products/84697/...Cache-2_10-GHz
    Yeah, that's why I was asking if it was like the Desktop CPUs... although it looks like you only get two options 2.1Ghz or 600Mhz... which kinda sucks, I bet it locks to 600Mhz when it either heats up a lot or battery is really down...

An i5-4200U is also 15W TDP, base at 1.6 Ghz and 4 steps (IIRC) to 2.6 Ghz, which is crazy since it has 2 more cores...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's why I was asking if it was like the Desktop CPUs... although it looks like you only get two options 2.1Ghz or 600Mhz... which kinda sucks, I bet it locks to 600Mhz when it either heats up a lot or battery is really down...

An i5-4200U is also 15W TDP, base at 1.6 Ghz and 4 steps (IIRC) to 2.6 Ghz, which is crazy since it has 2 more cores...
    600 MHz ain't bad though. I turned on all Cstates in my BIOS so my Xeon drops to 800 MHz when under light load like web browsing, and then sticks at the max all cores turbo of 3.6 GHz when gaming, compressing a video, doing a calculation in MATLAB, etc. I imagine that a 15W i5-4200U probably has a really low idle multiplier too around 6-8x, I'd be pissed if I bought a laptop that didn't have that kind of low frequency scaling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    600 MHz ain't bad though. I turned on all Cstates in my BIOS so my Xeon drops to 800 MHz when under light load like web browsing, and then sticks at the max all cores turbo of 3.6 GHz when gaming, compressing a video, doing a calculation in MATLAB, etc. I imagine that a 15W i5-4200U probably has a really low idle multiplier too around 6-8x, I'd be pissed if I bought a laptop that didn't have that kind of low frequency scaling.
    You mean P-States (what used to be known as Intel SpeedStep)... C-States determine when CPUs stop executing instructions entirely and whether they keep their state or it's a full shutdown.

Unfortunately Intel for some reason does not have a public list of P-States for their various CPUs that I could find. So unless you have the CPU and dump the ACPI tables, it's hard to know what they do on the i3. I know for a fact that i5/i7 has at least 4 P-States for the Turbo boost, but also a few more for low frequency (like your Xeon). Obviously, the more steps, the better the system can regulate frequency and save power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for all the info so far.
    Please continue to bring it as Black Friday gets closer.
    Supposedly a lot of stores are putting their sale info out early. I'll try to post some.

Thread Information