Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy gets called for more fouls he doesn't commit than anyone I've ever seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy gets called for more fouls he doesn't commit than anyone I've ever seen.
    He's a very physical player, being played out of position as a center. He's at times late on rotations, and makes an effort to get back into the play that does result in him fouling. He doesn't play good position defense.

I do believe he does rack up those fouls, and they are justly called.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems that he does get more than his share but he earns a good 65% of the ones called on him, the Spurs need an Anthony Mason type, tough guy on the team anyway. I have no doubt if it was necessary D West would have no problem Horry hip checking Steph into the tables/stands. I am not sure who else on the team would. An enforcer is a necessary element, we haven't had one since we parted ways with SJax.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    West beats the crap out of people. I love it. He killed Boogie. Spurs need some nasty from time to time.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't noticed; but I haven't been as critical of refs as I have been in the past. All the same, I don't believe the NBA will ever go away from having certain refs ref certain games to get certain results.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He pushes. A lot. A lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He commits the dumbest and most clear fouls and then cries like a girl when he gets called for them. I would hate him too if I was a ref.

Believe.
    My Team
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Post Count
    He's a bull in a china shop, and bigs in the league are smaller and more pussified than ever before.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes an undersized big and he knows it.

He also gives a chit and puts it all out there. great signing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes an undersized big and he knows it.

He also gives a chit and puts it all out there. great signing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a very physical player, being played out of position as a center. He's at times late on rotations, and makes an effort to get back into the play that does result in him fouling. He doesn't play good position defense.

I do believe he does rack up those fouls, and they are justly called.
    He pushes. A lot. A lot.

I got nothing to add. And I really like David West. The Spurs need his toughness and passion. But, yeah, his play is going to draw some whistles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like David West but he complains on basically every single call even when they are really obvious tbh

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better defender than Baynes.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were a ref I would hate someone yelling "And 1!" after every single one of his shot attempts in the paint.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were a ref I would hate someone yelling "And 1!" after every single one of his shot attempts in the paint.
    I'm not a ref and I hate those people.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does get the whistle more often. Some are good calls but people always flop on Dwest for some reason. The players take advantage of that on him all the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was surprised and sometimes frustrated how he got away with the pushing and shoving when he was playing the Spurs. Now that he's on the Spurs, he doesn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I notice that West likes to set the tone early. When he gets on the court, he almost always fouls right away. I think he is letting the other guy know that is is going to be a long and physically demanding night with West covering him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am annoyed by the called fouls as well, but overall the Spurs foul the least in the NBA ... West does not play enough minutes to ever get into real foul trouble ... so non-issue tbh

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    The guy doesn't move his feet but rather tries to reach or slap the ball w/ his enormous wingspan. I've seen him multiple time letting the ball go out of bounds instead of bending down or diving for it, it's as if he's paralyzed from the knee below.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah they hate Kawhi too because he gets less fts than Mario

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that of the new guys, he is the most anxious to show what he has, and puts an extra effort on some possessions that end up in silly avoidable fouls.

And in the end he complain about every call, and most of them seem obvious fouls for me.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He pushes. A lot. A lot.
    He might want to learn the Noah way of pushing to pick a foul. That might win games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before you guys write a whole mythology about West and his fouls, maybe you should consider this:

For his career, West has spent 92% of his time at the PF position. And that's been consistent, year after year.
    Playing with the Spurs, he has spent about 67% of his time at the C position. Do you think, maybe, that's put him at a disadvantage and caused some of the fouls?
    You aren't seeing the refs hate on him. You aren't seeing them call him differently than they did in the past. You're seeing him play a different position, against guys a lot bigger than he is. That is all.

I've read enough people here ing because he's "under-sized". He's not under-sized. He's a freaking PF, and he didn't sign with the Spurs claiming to be a C. He not only agreed to play for a lot less money, he's been asked to play a different position and battle against giants. And he's worked his ass off doing it, because that's what Pop needs him to do. You may think he's racking up too many fouls, but I promise you Pop isn't surprised by it. If you put a PF out defending C's, he is either going to have to be aggressive or get his ass kicked. And to be that aggressive, he's going to draw a few more whistles.

A couple of other things to keep in mind, before ing about how bad he is:
    He's shooting .541 from the floor.
    He's shooting .741 from 0-3 feet... higher than anyone on the team, except Butler. (Butler is shooting layups, West is battling in the post for those shots.)
    He's shooting .600 from 10-16 feet! Next highest on the team is Tim at .478 and Kawhi at .446.
    Outside of 16 feet, he's shooting .500.
    He's rebounding his ass off. His RB stats are behind only Duncan and Aldridge. (I didn't include Boban, because so far it's only garbage minutes for him.)
    He gets about the same number of AST per 100 possessions as Tim, who we all know is a great passing big man.

Now... hate away.

Thread Information