Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Led Zeppelin members face trial in 'Stairway to Heaven' copyright infringement lawsuit

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/nation-world/national/article71304342.html

Sounds pretty damn close. Not sure if I care what the outcome is but would be interesting to watch the trial.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I agree with judges ruling that the similarities make it trial worthy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Never liked Led Zeppelin tbh but I enjoy their cover of Gallow's Pole by Lead Belly especiallly this version

amazing song imo

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Backup Goddess, tbh. Gummi Clutch's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    pretty ed up tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    meh. it's a descending riff. The riff is similar. The songs are nothing alike.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    LOL

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Look a little closer, Ernie:

"While it is true that a descending chromatic four-chord progression is a common convention that abounds in the music industry, the similarities here transcend this core structure," U.S. District Judge Gary Klausner of the Central District of California wrote in a 20-page opinion denying, in part, Led Zeppelin's motion for summary judgment. "For example, the descending bass line in both Taurus and Stairway to Heaven appears at the beginning of both songs, arguably the most recognizable and important segments. . . . Additionally, the descending bass line is played at the same pitch, repeated twice, and separated by a short bridge in both songs." Citing another opinion, he added: "Enough similar protectable expression is here that the issue of substantial similarity should [proceed to the jury]."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Look a little closer, Ernie:

"While it is true that a descending chromatic four-chord progression is a common convention that abounds in the music industry, the similarities here transcend this core structure," U.S. District Judge Gary Klausner of the Central District of California wrote in a 20-page opinion denying, in part, Led Zeppelin's motion for summary judgment. "For example, the descending bass line in both Taurus and Stairway to Heaven appears at the beginning of both songs, arguably the most recognizable and important segments. . . . Additionally, the descending bass line is played at the same pitch, repeated twice, and separated by a short bridge in both songs." Citing another opinion, he added: "Enough similar protectable expression is here that the issue of substantial similarity should [proceed to the jury]."
    who the is ernie?
    my comment still stands, fabbs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Vocally yeah. For guitar it sounds more similar to Black Country Woman" by LZ:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=21Qc8ON5mQU

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    Only that 10 seconds that gets repeated has the same five chords, but the melody is different.

Is that trial worthy? Five chords?

When was it claimed? Is there a statute of limitations?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Plant was a biter, also used backmasking to deceive people. White men biting off black men and making lots of money is nothing new.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Only that 10 seconds that gets repeated has the same five chords, but the melody is different.

Is that trial worthy? Five chords?

When was it claimed? Is there a statute of limitations?
    Statute of limitations started over when the rereleased it in 2014. It's only a few chords but the arpeggios are very similar. They busted Vanilla Ice for a handfuls of notes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    It's common knowledge that Led Zeppelin were "inspired" by many other artist. I'm just curious as to why it took so many decades for legal action to be taken over their most recognizable song.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Seems like this could have far-reaching implications if the court goes against Led Zeppelin. While the 5 second passage is similar sounding, there are thousands of songs that have similar chord progressions and sound mixes as songs that came before them.

"Stairway to Heaven" as a complete song is a totally different listening experience than "Taurus."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Seems like this could have far-reaching implications if the court goes against Led Zeppelin. While the 5 second passage is similar sounding, there are thousands of songs that have similar chord progressions and sound mixes as songs that came before them.

"Stairway to Heaven" as a complete song is a totally different listening experience than "Taurus."
    You mean "Spirit". I think the court will rule in LZ favor. Although if Taurus did open for Zeppelin and played with them, Page probably did get the idea from Taurus. But I think he did enough with it to make it different.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's common knowledge that Led Zeppelin were "inspired" by many other artist. I'm just curious as to why it took so many decades for legal action to be taken over their most recognizable song.
    because the guy who wrote the Taurus song never wanted to pursue any kind of legal action against Zeppelin. He died recently and his family is bringing the case forward.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You mean "Spirit". I think the court will rule in LZ favor. Although if Taurus did open for Zeppelin and played with them, Page probably did get the idea from Taurus. But I think he did enough with it to make it different.
    Spirit is the band.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spirit is the band.
    my bad. you're right.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No worries. My dad had like 4 of their records. I never checked them out though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    College
    Oregon Ducks
    I have that same question. Seems rather stupid to me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Led Zeppelin cleared of plagiarism.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36611961

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Does this mean Jimmy Pages girlfriends salary will go up?

Thread Information