Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol

Oh no not neo-liberalism! That dangerous ideology!
    Seriously. You can't be dangerous if you can't even win easily winnable elections.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously. You can't be dangerous if you can't even win easily winnable elections.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    RG couldn't leave this pile of an OP fast enough.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with the bolded part.

The controlling part I was referring to were the actual religious people, mainly conservative Christians, being controlled. They make up the majority of the U.S. population, so how is that not the masses? Yes, I know Christian guy reading my post, not all of you are like that.

So if I am not a religious person I am a drug addict outcast that just "wants to be a part of something" so I will choose to bash religion? Why do we need labels? That's exactly what organized religion is about, labels. If you don't agree with me then you're an outcast or drug addict. Come on...
    If you want to be controlled there are much better outlets than religion.
    Christians change churches all the time if a pastor does not interpret Biblical verse in a way that fits their particular faith.
    I could say HS football is a way to control aggressive male adolescents and I’d make your controlling masses in the US more valid.

People tend to associate with other people who are more like them. I see it as more like joining your local Moose Lodge. Some people will worship the grand Moose and some want to interact. Most are gonna leave if they get ordered around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree it poisons everything, tbh, and it's probably the most ancient form of civil control. It was much more effective in the past through social pressures (mostly out of ignorance). Anything that includes fear as a major component is a direct appeal to emotions.

That said, as we've grown out of it, we've created similar secular activities and non-exact sciences that try to fill that personal void which some people seek to fill one way or another (psychology comes to mind).

But religion does work for some people in positive ways, same with psychology. We can debate if it's just a mental trick, it's just weak minded people, people going through an existential phase in their lives, etc., but we can't avoid recognizing that it does work for some people, whatever those reasons might be.

It's certainly not for everybody, and I think that's also very important to point out. Especially to those that really try to crowbar it into a lot of other uninterested people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree it poisons everything, tbh, and it's probably the most ancient form of civil control. It was much more effective in the past through social pressures (mostly out of ignorance). Anything that includes fear as a major component is a direct appeal to emotions.

That said, as we've grown out of it, we've created similar secular activities and non-exact sciences that try to fill that personal void which some people seek to fill one way or another (psychology comes to mind).

But religion does work for some people in positive ways, same with psychology. We can debate if it's just a mental trick, it's just weak minded people, people going through an existential phase in their lives, etc., but we can't avoid recognizing that it does work for some people, whatever those reasons might be.

It's certainly not for everybody, and I think that's also very important to point out. Especially to those that really try to crowbar it into a lot of other uninterested people.
    I wish I had written this.
    But I did not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that's fine, have religion. By all means go worship whatever you believe in. My problem is all the other s*it that comes along with it; the narrow-mindedness, the ignorance, the holier than though at ude, and worst of all the hypocrisy. Again, I know this is not everyone, but I rarely meet a religious person that does not fall in one or all of these categories.
    All that already exists without a mechanism for channeling it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's simple and easy. It requires little or not thought. Why is this the way it is? Hmmm idk so I will just say God instead of opening a book and learning something.
    From childhood when we cover our heads at night thinking we're safer from the creature in the closet to adulthood where we symbolically profess to believe in a human mental construct out of peer pressure, we are always just one step shy of complete irrationality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Separation of church and state
    That's not what that means.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hollywood has plenty of conservatives
    Yes, Hollywood and California in general are well known conservative strongholds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From childhood when we cover our heads at night thinking we're safer from the creature in the closet to adulthood where we symbolically profess to believe in a human mental construct out of peer pressure, we are always just one step shy of complete irrationality.
    The very basics of what we think are rational ventures in logic are not.
    They are very human constructs.
    Its time to stop thinking we think perfectly rationally in any endeavor including science and math. The power of predictability has got us drunk. This is not to say religion takes its place.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know a lot of people heavy into their religion, they are far better off than those who...bah humbug ..religion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Hollywood and California in general are well known conservative strongholds.
    The changing narrative

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know a lot of people heavy into their religion, they are far better off than those who...bah humbug ..religion.
    You're not into religion.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not into religion.
    Judy and all her family are knee deep into religion. So I see how powerful it really is. Only idiots and fools can't see how good it is for a person. I see those without it and it's a sad situation.

I don't buy the Bible stories, but there is no doubt this didn't all come about by chance. DNA proves that. I have no doubts if in some foxhole with the bad guys closing in it;s......Oh Dear God....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Athesit have committed more murders, genocide etc in the history of mankind.

The Golden age of Greeks, Islam, Christianity, Judaism etc all ushered advancement in society.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Golden age of Greeks, Islam, Christianity, Judaism etc all ushered advancement in society.
    All the atheists I know are weaklings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

goddamn, you're ing stupid.

wars between religions have killed many 100Ms of people. eg, today, the Muslim vs Hindu genocide in Myanmar,

the Jewish genocide/ethnic cleansing of Muslims

And religions have tortured, killed Ms of people for violating their particular religion's bull

And this week we have the systematically, morally bankrupt Catholic Church exposed, yet again (and there's much more to come) as valuing its self-preservation over the lives of children.

The Catholic Church rode with the European ships to invade and assist in genocide of indigenous peoples on every continent. The CC started the War on Drugs in the Americas

goddamn, you're ing stupid.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 08-18-2018 at 08:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The very basics of what we think are rational ventures in logic are not.
    They are very human constructs.
    Its time to stop thinking we think perfectly rationally in any endeavor including science and math. The power of predictability has got us drunk. This is not to say religion takes its place.
    If I take your advice, why should I believe anything you just said?

For the most part, we all allow some room for error in our initial assessments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Judy and all her family are knee deep into religion. So I see how powerful it really is. Only idiots and fools can't see how good it is for a person. I see those without it and it's a sad situation.

I don't buy the Bible stories, but there is no doubt this didn't all come about by chance. DNA proves that. I have no doubts if in some foxhole with the bad guys closing in it;s......Oh Dear God....
    So yeah, you're not into religion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information