Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    1-A College Football needs a playoff...I think most of us agree on that.

How would you do it? This is not a bash thread. This is just if you could set up a playoff, what would you do.

This is how I would do it:

First, no independents. You're too good to join a conference? Screw you. Yes, you too Notre Dame. Join the Big 10 and shut the up.

Second, everyone has a conference championship game or no one does. Pac-10 becomes the Pac-12 and has Northern and Southern Divisions. Grab Boise State and Utah and deal with it.

Third the layout.

Its a 16-team playoff where each of the 11 D-1 Conferences sends its winner. Then the 12th-16th spots are wild cards based on record and strength of schedule much like March Madness.

You seed the teams 1-16. Hold the first round the week after the conference championships. This year that would be Dec. 8,9 and 10. The schools already play on Thursdays and Fridays anyway. The next week (this year Dec. 16 and 17) is the quarter finals, Dec. 24 would be the semis and Dec. 31 would be the National Championship game. The networks televising could work the games around their NFL schedules.

Fourth. The Bowls.
    One of the biggest complaints is the tradition of the bowls. You can still use them. The NC game is the Rose, semis Orange and Sugar, quarters Fiesta, Cotton, Holiday and Peach. First round Alamo, Citrus, Sun, Independence, Gator, Liberty, Hawaii and Las Vegas.

Fifth. What about everyone else?
    Use the rest of the bowls. For those teams that don't qualify, you still reward a decent season with a post-season trip. The playoff only uses 15, there is a total of 28 this season. Use the other 13. That is room for 26 more teams. You are a Baylor or a Nebraska that is bowl eligible you can still have a nice season.

What would you do?

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    Post Count
    No. 1 plays No. 4
    No. 2 plays No. 3

Winners play for championship
    Maybe you could have a consolation game for the losers.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Sounds good...how do you determine the four spots?

My Team
    St. Mary's Rattlers
    Post Count
    Sounds good...how do you determine the four spots?
    BCS rankings. At least they will be good for something.
    ________
    How to roll a joint
    Last edited by Mr. Peabody; 08-23-2011 at 06:42 PM.

See you when it burns SWC Bonfire's Avatar
    Post Count
    Your back to the polls.

Playoffs consist of conference champions. Not a conference champion? You've been eliminated.

If you wanted to keep polls in it, there could be a play-in for a final spot chosen by a BCS-like system amongst the once-beatens/independents/Mid levels.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Playoffs consist of conference champions. Not a conference champion? You've been eliminated.
    I am all for that but there are 11 conferences. How would you schedule the games?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    You gotta start small. I think an 8 team playoff would be the max. The basic problem is integrating a playoff system with the traditional bowls. The objection to a playoff system as I understand it is that it would give certain schools the opportunity for multiple bowl game and payouts while at the same time denying other schools the opportunity to go to a bowl game.

Still, I would think that a 4 team playoff, using 3 bowls (rotate the le game among them) makes the most sense for now. That would take care of the #3 odd man out problem.

Post Count
    I am all for that but there are 11 conferences. How would you schedule the games?

the le game would be played on Labor Day.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You gotta start small. I think an 8 team playoff would be the max
    I could live with that. It would make scheduling easier. How do you determine who goes?

Post Count
    I could live with that. It would make scheduling easier. How do you determine who goes?

the BCS polls

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Isn't the idea though to get away from the polls and settle it on the field?

Post Count
    Make it SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, ACC & Big East champs + a play-in for the Western US and Eastern US = 8 teams.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Weren't there a bunch of good suggestions a while back on this subject? I'll go look for the thread.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    probably but its always good to rehash once in awhile.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Make it SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, ACC & Big East champs + a play-in for the Western US and Eastern US = 8 teams.
    Or a play-in game between the MWC-WAC champs for one bid and the CUSA-MAC champs for the other.

Post Count
    There has to be a way to incorporate the play-in with a conference that is doing poorly. Perhaps the two conf. champions with the worst record have to do the play-ins.

(Such if the Big East Champ is 6-5 and the MAAC champ is 10-1 )
    Last edited by SWC Bonfire; 11-01-2005 at 03:41 PM.

I like j-6's idea. The six major conferences get bids, and the four minors have a play-in game to qualify.

Of course, none of this will ever happen, because the universities in the major conferences make a ton of money off the current system, and money is more important than compe ive integrity.

In order for anything to change, we have to stop watching BCS games and stop discussing the rankings so that they don't make as much money.

Post Count
    Isn't the idea though to get away from the polls and settle it on the field?

no. the idea is to keep undefeated teams, usually the 3 and 4 spots, from getting screwed over.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    right and the BCS screws over undefeated teams. Why not have all the undefeated teams meet in a playoff instead of letting a computer decide who plays for the le?

Post Count
    right and the BCS screws over undefeated teams. Why not have all the undefeated teams meet in a playoff instead of letting a computer decide who plays for the le?
    What if there are no undefeated teams? It's happened recently, I think. Someone check.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It doesn't have to be just undefeated teams. The top 5 teams could all have one loss and none of those to each other.

My point is that in this current system, someone with a legit claim to play for the le will get screwed. A playoff prevents that.

Post Count
    Well, a playoff isn't going to happen unless it makes monetary sense to the schools involved.

If you make the Big Conferences automatics, you risk a power gap between the have and the have nots. If you make them automatic, but the last two have to take on a challenger before the 1st round, it becomes more equitable to the lower conferences.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Very true. I do think that a lot of money can be made. Network execs would sell their houses, families and souls to land the rights.

My Team
    Oregon State Beavers
    Post Count
    I would take the top 8 teams in the BCS and build the playoff based on that. #1 vs #8, #2 vs #7, #3 vs #6, and #4 vs #5.

Post Count
    I would take the top 8 teams in the BCS and build the playoff based on that. #1 vs #8, #2 vs #7, #3 vs #6, and #4 vs #5.
    Which raises the question...
    What are the top 8?
    If you leave it to AP, then USC will be in every year.
    Whatever happened to the "Strength of Schedule" thing? Without THAT, teams can bash up the minnows and get to the top.

Thread Information