Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...vember-9-2019/

tl;dr: Aldridge didn't get an A+ in back-to-back games...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge is spineless too often and The Italian never deserves above a D

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a tough one and with few 'silver lining' things other than this will provide an excellent tape to see how bad their defense was against these high flying Celtics.

Thanks for the grades..spot on.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are experiencing serious iden y and growing pains. This team is built to compete but not win a championship. The Spurs HAVE to win at home. This team misses a leader vocally, although Murray tries and Patty too.
    but the team needs that physical leader who brings it on the floor with effort. The only guy I consistently see do the little things is Derrick White. It is a shame the veterans dont bring it. Rudy Gay and Belinelli are inconsistent.Aldridge and DeRozan are concerned about stats. Sad. Very sad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Spurs not having iden y is the most obvious. That's coaching and our point guard causing that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    B- for Pop. Otherwise I agree with the grades. One would figure at some point Pop will go to the young players/those who play with effort but this is Pop. Might end up deciding how this season goes early.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs iden y has always involved:
    1. Thinking. Smart play, smart coaching, smart organization
    2. Compe ive spirit, heart, not giving up

Even limited no-offense Spurs 17-18 had both.
    And this year Spurs team is so frustrating because it lacks both. When it wins it wins on pure talent.
    It looks like we aren't scouting and don't care about how opponents play. And also we're not competing when it doesn't go our way. So many hustle plays are lost, so many easy rebounds given away.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I sat court side past couple of games and our main problem is defense and lack of ball movement when the Spurs aren’t getting anything from Aldridge. Tonight the Celtics were just better than the Spurs in all facets of the game. Passing, shooting, and defense. They look so much better than when they had Kyrie. Their hot shooting tonight put the Spurs to bed early.

Two things I’ve noticed that are pluses for the Spurs are Lyles’ play and White coming back to the 2018-2019 White. Lyles’ confidence in his shooting is growing and his IQ is more than what I expected. He fits in great here in San Antonio. Despite White having to run from the exercise bike to the court because of the butt injury, he is focused and looking good on both sides of the court.

Another thing I saw that amazed me was Metu’s athleticism. Wow. If he can learn the system a lot more he’s going to be a solid player for the Spurs. Also Lonnie is thinking to much on the court.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The sad truth nobody is seeing is that our actual point guard has limited play making skills... Murray is our best athlete boy his mid range game is limited and if the goal is to let him play the point guard starting line up in the long run, we'll boys it will take a lot and lot of time... With no clear outcome! One thing is for sure... His actual game is the opposite of what lma game needs. I understand the confidence thing, exprvially when you decided to pay djm big buckets for a long time, but if last year told us something is that his last year injury causing dw playing the point has been a blessing in desguise... Simply because dw is the only player in this roster with real. Play making skills... That are the only ones that can give the chance to feed a player like lma also in difficult situation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope Belli continue to stink on the defence so much that Pop gives up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LaMarcus doesn't even deserve a grade.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It says a lot about this organization that LMA is so obviously just a soft loser cancer of a player but the spurs just won't pull the trigger and ship him out... You aren't winning ANYTHING with a moody malcontent who's effort on the court is dictated by how many times he gets to shoot the ball... These games mean almost nothing to the spurs in the grand scheme of things because once LMA is no longer here they can actually play modern basketball and not have to keep dumping it in to some guy over and over so once every blue moon he can abuse steven adams or clint capella...

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate to say it, but I think I’m boarding the anti-

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When does Murray get off his minutes restriction?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanx for the grades..right now, it seems as if the Spurs are just a young team, mixed with some vets, that are trying to sort things out..as the reason progresses, I think they'll improve quite a bit..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poetl sucked to start last season too but at least he had the new to the system excuse. Hopefully he gets it together.

I hate Derozan's game so much. You just know every Spurs' mini run is going to come to a screeching halt with a Derozan dribble fest followed by a clanked mid ranger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poop needs to retire, he should've retired with Tim. Maybe than we wouldnt of ended up with DeFrozen & Poeltl (no upside whatsoever).

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs players just didn't match the physicality, and often they never do. Their also is no emotion from the players with the exception of patty. No encouragement for teammates, all u see is DeRozan whine to a referee.
    Sad, very sad.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop knows they aren’t re-signing DD, then they need to shake up his role somehow because it isn’t working. He’s been given enough free rein playing his game. Move him to the bench. If he opts into his player option, the Spurs are screwed. I’m not saying we are there yet, but probably soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop knows they aren’t re-signing DD, then they need to shake up his role somehow because it isn’t working. He’s been given enough free rein playing his game. Move him to the bench. If he opts into his player option, the Spurs are screwed. I’m not saying we are there yet, but probably soon.
    You can't have DD come off the bench we we have no starting SF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. I knew it was a Fools Gold to grade Aldridge A+ in the OKC win. He has fallen in love with perimeter game and doe not want to engage low. Unless he demands and foces his way in the paint, he can’t have a grade better than D imo. The guy is charmin soft, and it hurts the whole team when your leader doesn’t want to fight. The rest of the team’s effectiveness suffers, doesn’t create open shots. Likewise the sane for Demar’s unwillingness to hit 3’s. His perimeter defender will not rotate. It’s just a bad combination, aggravated by Forbes/Mills/Beli unathleticness and ineptiveness to defend. Against a better them, Spurs get picked and exposed. Bottomline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The game against thunder, Spurs had an iden y. This game, our perimeter players just took their turn. Bad strategy and it left LMA not caring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA teams don't scout regular season games. What the difference is that we went from having two of the most intelligent basketball minds of all time who knew how to exploit match ups. LMA probably thinks the game plan is always two words "my touches" and can't be bothered to figure out how to earn touches. Same with Derozan. The last "smart" player we had was Anderson.\

So while many people want to flip a switch and say championships or tank, the real danger is instilling the next generation with the dumb mentality. I would not be surprised if we soft tank this year and start limiting vet minutes.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge didn't get an A+ in back-to-back games...

Great summary. Beautifully understated. Usually when someone goes from A+ to F in just a couple of days, it's time to prescribe Ritalin.

Thanks for the grades, as always. I'm not sure I could define exactly what "chemistry" is on a basketball team, but I feel pretty confident saying this ain't it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can't win if they don't play Aldridge ball. They gotta dump it into the post often and get him going early. He's the most talented player on this team, so play through him. That's how this team made the playoffs for the past 2 years. All that other they do out there is just horrible offense.

Pop not being able to have his team come out aggressive is also pretty bad. A lot of those guys seem to have tuned the coach out and I can't blame them for it. All his oldschool methods don't seem to work so well without the big 3 on the team

Thread Information