Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With what we have seen so far and what we have ahead, what is the pulse of Spurs fans with the new GM?

We’ve read that Brian played an integral role in the decision to bring DeRozan in. Fair to judge him on that decision? He brought in a guy in Carroll that quite frankly looks bad and can’t even crack the rotation on a losing team with no upside. Is that on him after seeing what this team needed after a full season with LMA/DeRozan together?

Knowing that the franchise is at a major cross-roads and will have to make some tough decisions soon; trade DeRozan/LMA and more in a blow up? Trade one for pieces to fit better around one or the other?

What are your feelings and confidence level that Brian Wright is up to the task of ushering in the next era for SA? Does he have what it takes to guide SA and make smart decisions that build for the future? Does he have the pull to do anything of note and creative?

Thoughts...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as Pop is at the helm, any new GM is neutered from making any big personnel decisions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think so, I’ve appreciated the fact that he looks to change things even tho it’s with the approval from Pop/RC lol I think he needs the freedom to construct the roster the way he wants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he really played an "intregal"role in bending over and bringing derozan in,all hope is probably lost tbh

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    We’ve read that Brian played an integral role in the decision to bring DeRozan in. Fair to judge him on that decision?
    i didn’t know that. makes me automatically not like him tbh. demar never proved anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i didn’t know that. makes me automatically not like him tbh. demar never proved anything.

Sealed his own fate with that deal tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not good. Most 10 year olds would've rejected that deal in 2k.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With that said, everything goes through Pop. Always has heen. He deserves more blame than anyone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not good. Most 10 year olds would've rejected that deal in 2k.
    2k itself woulda passed

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy had or has no say in any moves made or will make as long as pop and or rc are in the organization. And even if he did have a say, he's still not the person that gives anyone minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he really played an "intregal"role in bending over and bringing derozan in,all hope is probably lost tbh
    https://theathletic.com/1086429/2019...shared-article

When the Spurs initially hired Wright in 2016, he stayed behind the scenes and focused mainly on scouting. But sources have informed The Athletic over the last year Wright has been more involved, even fielding calls and packages for the trade of Kawhi Leonard the previous summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too early to tell imo. The Carroll signing was fine; not his fault Pop won't play him and Morris ed the Spurs. The handling of the Nephew fiasco was disgraceful, however. If he really played a key role in it and really wanted DeRozan that badly that's a huge red flag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly don’t know how much of a role or influence he had in that deal; only that he was definitely involved. He made some “creative” moves I guess this off season which seems to bode well (how he got money for Morris/Carroll) but this is a results business and Carroll is bad and can’t even crack the rotation. Beyond that, it’s clear that just getting Carroll was not even enough and he had a full season to evaluate the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs need to sweep out the old regime and bring in an entire new one. If Pop had left a few years ago, we might have lured Sean Marks and Coach Bud back. Now, I doubt either one would give the Spurs a listen. Beyond them I don’t really have any candidates in mind.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to know what were the legit offers for Kawhi. People report stuff, but teams will leak that they offered packages they really didn’t offer. Maybe DeRozen was the best they could do based on what offers were made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "When the Spurs initially hired Wright in 2016, he stayed behind the scenes and focused mainly on scouting. But sources have informed The Athletic over the last year Wright has been more involved, even fielding calls and packages for the trade of Kawhi Leonard the previous summer."

It says he answered the phone and took notes.

Fire him!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Marcus Morris move was great, I'm not going to blame Brian Wright for that falling through. I think the Carroll signing was a good signing. Even though he's not getting minutes (which is annoying) he seems like a guy you want on your team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why Carroll was signed is a question that should be asked

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "When the Spurs initially hired Wright in 2016, he stayed behind the scenes and focused mainly on scouting. But sources have informed The Athletic over the last year Wright has been more involved, even fielding calls and packages for the trade of Kawhi Leonard the previous summer."

It says he answered the phone and took notes.

Fire him!
    That’s not the only article - just one. But that is why I am asking. I dont know how involved he was or if those around were just gassing him up since he was to be the new GM. Not sure. He was definitely involved and read several things about that process and how he was involved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why Carroll was signed is a question that should be asked

We needed a sf?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what other deals were really on the table when they got DeRozan. But I've said recently that any draft picks that are so heavily protected that they don't have a real chance of conveying aren't really first round picks. For all I know, that package was as good as they could have gotten under the cir stances.

The only contacts I ever had in the organization went to other teams years ago. But I have the strong impression that nothing much has happened in SA for years that didn't have Pop's stamp of approval. I have pretty serious doubts that Brian Wright has the authority to do anything over Pop's dead body. So, no, I don't think he's going to single-handedly usher in any new era in SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Marcus Morris move was great, I'm not going to blame Brian Wright for that falling through. I think the Carroll signing was a good signing. Even though he's not getting minutes (which is annoying) he seems like a guy you want on your team.
    Hard to blame anyone for Morris, but this is a results business. Carroll though? Another old head? Its very obviously not a good signing and he’s not a game changer at all and SA definitely needed a game changer or heavy rotation upgrade.

Beyond that, even if you want to argue Carroll was good, it’s obvious that him and Morris were no where near enough and they were the ones evaluating the team.

A little scary to me. But I’m sure some will be filled with confidence in him; I am really unsure. He’s not done anything that made me really go “this is the guy and I am comfortable with the decision”.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im not comfortable with any decisions this fo has made lately

Thread Information