Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelosi says she spoke to Joint Chiefs chair about how to ensure 'unstable' Trump doesn't launch strike

In a letter to House Democrats, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Friday she had talked with Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley, the country’s highest-ranking military officer, about taking precautions to prevent President Donald Trump from launching a nuclear strike.

“This morning, I spoke to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley to discuss available precautions for preventing an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike,” Pelosi wrote.

Milley’s spokesman, Army Col. Dave Butler, acknowledged Pelosi’s call in a brief statement.

“He answered her questions regarding the process of nuclear command authority,” Butler said.

Pelosi, on a Friday call with House Democrats, said she received assurance from Milley that safeguards are in place to prevent Trump from illegally ordering a nuclear strike, according to person on the call not authorized to speak on the record.

Pelosi has called on Vice President Mike Pence and the Cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment in the aftermath of a riot by a pro-Trump mob at the Capitol Wednesday. Under the amendment's fourth section, a majority of the Cabinet and the vice president can declare the president unfit for office and transfer power to the vice president. If they failed to do so, the House could initiate impeachment proceedings, Pelosi said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ol/6590781002/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seems like a publicity stunt IMO

but honestly hard to know how unstable trump will be now that *clears throat* THE WALLS ARE CLOSING IN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, does she even has that authority? Congress delegated war-making powers to the Executive for far too long under the guise of fighting terror.

Hopefully this makes them reconsider.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sadly Pelotudosi is almost as unstable as Dump

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they should start impeachment procedings but not rush it. Do it normally with a democrat led House and Senate.

Sure Trump would be out of office by then but if impeached and *removed* he cant run for any political office again. Or so that's how I read one expert opinion.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I'd hate if she lost her mind and we all ended up with public health care or something.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I'd hate if she lost her mind and we all ended up with public health care or something.
    She doesn't support universal healthcare so I don't think you have to worry about it. Maybe President Biden will...oh wait he doesn't support universal healthcare either.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She doesn't support universal healthcare so I don't think you have to worry about it. Maybe President Biden will...oh wait he doesn't support universal healthcare either.
    This is a very thoughtful response to my joke about the relative consequences of Trump or Nancy losing their minds, thank you for the explainer.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She's a desperate criminal. Many of them are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Mentally ill

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She's a desperate criminal. Many of them are.
    you’re truly mentally ill derp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, does she even has that authority? Congress delegated war-making powers to the Executive for far too long under the guise of fighting terror.

Hopefully this makes them reconsider.
    The time it takes congress to act on anything is far too long for a first strike threat to exist. Strategic threat wouldn't mean anything if retaliation or first strike had to wait for everyone in congress to give their monologues. Congress is completely useless since they do damn near everything along party lines. Otherwise control of house and senate would be a side note, not the entire thrust of the electoral process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The time it takes congress to act on anything is far too long for a first strike threat to exist. Strategic threat wouldn't mean anything if retaliation or first strike had to wait for everyone in congress to give their monologues. Congress is completely useless since they do damn near everything along party lines. Otherwise control of house and senate would be a side note, not the entire thrust of the electoral process.
    War declaration is specifically delegated to Congress. And rightly so, IMO, as it should be a high bar. Notice that the President does have the power to repel attacks without Congressional approval.

The country also had very little trouble getting into wars before the 2001 AUMF or the 1973 War Powers Act.

Being inefficient is no excuse to bail on their cons utional responsibilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    War declaration is specifically delegated to Congress. And rightly so, IMO, as it should be a high bar. Notice that the President does have the power to repel attacks without Congressional approval.

The country also had very little trouble getting into wars before the 2001 AUMF or the 1973 War Powers Act.

Being inefficient is no excuse to bail on their cons utional responsibilities.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Nuclear launch and First Strike capability is not a declaration of war. It would lead to that of course but it would not be required.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Nuclear launch and First Strike capability is not a declaration of war. It would lead to that of course but it would not be required.
    First Strike or preemptive attack is indeed a declaration of war. How could it not be? The Cons ution clearly delegates that authority to Congress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First Strike or preemptive attack is indeed a declaration of war. How could it not be? The Cons ution clearly delegates that authority to Congress.
    Because a declaration of war is an official act of congress. The last declared war was WWII. We didn't even declare war on Iraq.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because a declaration of war is an official act of congress. The last declared war was WWII. We didn't even declare war on Iraq.
    That's exactly what I'm pointing out. Congress passed the responsibility to the Executive via the War Powers Act and the AUMF. That's wrong, and lowered the bar considerably.

Now you get into situations like this where you have a mentally unstable POTUS who can unilaterally start an attack (nuclear or otherwise).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's exactly what I'm pointing out. Congress passed the responsibility to the Executive via the War Powers Act and the AUMF. That's wrong, and lowered the bar considerably.

Now you get into situations like this where you have a mentally unstable POTUS who can unilaterally start an attack (nuclear or otherwise).
    They don't declare war but they pass resolutions allowing for military action. They do it that way so they can control the time frames involved in the targets that can be selected and the roles of engagement and so forth.

It's one thing if it's a short thing but long protracted ordeals and up like Vietnam and Afghanistan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelosi and the rest of the establishment commies tried a coup since day 1... and yall keep backing the establishment as if yall have any true stock with them. It's laughable how subservient you all are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao Biden is the epitome of mental stability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelosi and the rest of the establishment commies tried a coup since day 1... and yall keep backing the establishment as if yall have any true stock with them. It's laughable how subservient you all are.
    Calf tats are subservient, you're somebodies .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calf tats are subservient, you're somebodies .
    You and your insults are stupid as can be. That's FACT!

Now go give The Big Guy some oral since you love sucking off them establishment hacks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Again, the alternative is that you simply cannot respond at all because congress doesn't act in time to pass anything because they all want something for it.

Also it's still not a declaration of war unless congress declares war.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. We didn't fight back at Pearl Harbor because Congressimon didn't say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao Biden is the epitome of mental stability.
    You guys need to make up your minds, tbh... either he's the crazy old uncle yelling at clouds or the mastermind of the biggest electoral fraud in US history...

Thread Information