My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the wemby,collins pairing looking pretty decent so far

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dang when is the last time that every Spurs starter had at least one three pointer made?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The plus/minus of the starters is looking pretty good. Teams will really need to adapt to the defense Wemby is able to play. Like last season, the Spurs might come out strong out of the gates before getting back to being a lottery team.

I am totally underwhelmed by Sochans offense ... hopefully it is just a matter of not caring about the preseason.

Bassey now has the Poeltl FT line floater. That looked smooth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We might be seeing a dpoy in a rookie season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is exactly why I'm saying this is a playoff team. We've dominated other teams in the first half of every preseason game. The people worried about Sochan being the PG need to understand that the offense will still be clicking. We can drop a 120 points on any given night, just off ball and body movement and exploiting mismatches. The defense will be up and down, but we've seen some good sequences especially when Wemby is out there. The main issues seem to be rebounding and freethrow shooting. Also I hope Pop staggers some of the starters minutes so they can play with the bench instead of going with an all bench line up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We might be seeing a dpoy in a rookie season.
    Certainly All D team, at least. There was a play towards the end of his PT last night that didn’t show up in the box score. GS was inbounding the ball after a Spurs basket, and Wembanyama was being his usual pesky self. He reached out to try to deflect the ball, the inbounder realized it, and tried to adjust the pass to make it flatter and lower. It went out of bounds. Turnover, and he never touched the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was and maybe still a little sceptical of the Sochan PG "experiment".
    However, I'm starting to see thought behind it Defensively it really gives people trouble as the bigs can switch and all can bring the ball up
    Kudos to Pop for thinking outside the box and also letting Wemby play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn’t it be nice if a Rookie wins DPOY, All-Star on top of a ROY? MVP wouldn’t even be a far-fetch since he makes such a big role with the Spurs in all facets of the game, which is the definition of an MVP. Which other rookie would be comparable in the history of the game?? The future is so bright with Wemby and the Spurs.

On another note, Wemby is the perfect switch on Curry (which agonized the league). That split of a second window that Curry uses to hurl that 3, Wemby has enough reach to just stand there is mind boggling…and the agility to stay in front of him !! Sochan/Wemby on Curry is what Pop would’ve envisioned to finally solve that puzzle.

It’s still a big challenge to guard bigs like Jokic, Embiid, Davis. Collins is tough but a tad small. Bassey has the body but still quite in developing. Bediako would be a good project to solidify that post defense.

Against big athletic PF’s like Giannis, Tatum, LeBron, I think Collins is up for the job. He is agile and plays tough. Sochan would get the assignment on most nights. But Barlow could be a good candidate also to develop.

Most of these Bigs assignments of course would be addressed more when Wemby gets to that NBA body. He looks so much stronger now (surprisingly how much he is compared to 2-3 months ago). Once he gets to that NBA body and at his peak, damn Wemby would be unstoppable, possibly collecting MVP, DPOY every year. Man, that’s mind boggling. I know to some people here that may sound soo premature after only a few preseasons and against lesser compe ion. But hey, I couldn’t help getting excited as a Spurs fan. Enjoy the Wemby ride

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn’t it be nice if a Rookie wins DPOY, All-Star on top of a ROY? MVP wouldn’t even be a far-fetch since he makes such a big role with the Spurs in all facets of the game, which is the definition of an MVP. Which other rookie would be comparable in the history of the game?? The future is so bright with Wemby and the Spurs.

On another note, Wemby is the perfect switch on Curry (which agonized the league). That split of a second window that Curry uses to hurl that 3, Wemby has enough reach to just stand there is mind boggling…and the agility to stay in front of him !! Sochan/Wemby on Curry is what Pop would’ve envisioned to finally solve that puzzle.

It’s still a big challenge to guard bigs like Jokic, Embiid, Davis. Collins is tough but a tad small. Bassey has the body but still quite in developing. Bediako would be a good project to solidify that post defense.

Against big athletic PF’s like Giannis, Tatum, LeBron, I think Collins is up for the job. He is agile and plays tough. Sochan would get the assignment on most nights. But Barlow could be a good candidate also to develop.

Most of these Bigs assignments of course would be addressed more when Wemby gets to that NBA body. He looks so much stronger now (surprisingly how much he is compared to 2-3 months ago). Once he gets to that NBA body and at his peak, damn Wemby would be unstoppable, possibly collecting MVP, DPOY every year. Man, that’s mind boggling. I know to some people here that may sound soo premature after only a few preseasons and against lesser compe ion. But hey, I couldn’t help getting excited as a Spurs fan. Enjoy the Wemby ride
    i dont see why wemby cant win dpoy....Jackson averaged 18,7,3 to win dpoy....I think we all can agree that wemby get those stats if not better
    and gets our team better record then last year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Certainly All D team, at least. There was a play towards the end of his PT last night that didn’t show up in the box score. GS was inbounding the ball after a Spurs basket, and Wembanyama was being his usual pesky self. He reached out to try to deflect the ball, the inbounder realized it, and tried to adjust the pass to make it flatter and lower. It went out of bounds. Turnover, and he never touched the ball.
    Was that the pass to Curry that went out of bounce? Curry’s face was quite dissappointed.

LeBron’s rookie year was big, and teams were awed with his advanced game at that age. But I don’t think they were as much impressed compare to how people look at Wemby now. Wemby is just pure out of this world, something that people haven’t seen at that height, and I’m sure they’re asking, “how is he doing that?” Wemby just changes the game in ALL facets, scoring, blocking, altering shots, switching on smalls… LeBron didn’t do that in his rookie year. His moves were amazing, but he didn’t change the complexity of the game in ALL facets like Wemby is doing. The better comparison was Shaq. Shaq was mind-boggling as a rookie, how dominant he was, that look on Barkeley when that board slowly collapsed (I don’t know if that happened in Shaq’s rookie year, didn’t care to check). But Shaq was bad at FT and that was his kryptonite. And Shaq wasn’t fast enough to switch on smalls. Guards would take him in isolation. But not on Wemby. That iso defense on Wiggins was something to behold. Damn!
    Last edited by John B; 10-21-2023 at 07:57 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was and maybe still a little sceptical of the Sochan PG "experiment".
    However, I'm starting to see thought behind it Defensively it really gives people trouble as the bigs can switch and all can bring the ball up
    Kudos to Pop for thinking outside the box and also letting Wemby play.
    I’m still skeptical, but as Pop says, it’s a work in progress. The defensive upside is alluring though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the wemby,collins pairing looking pretty decent so far
    Very pleasantly surprised by it. Zach is scrappy and his 3 ball is looking legit now. They need to extend him now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's incredible to see a team that can in theory defend anyone on the other side, although Sochan had a very bad run offensively in the second half.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m still skeptical, but as Pop says, it’s a work in progress. The defensive upside is alluring though.
    I think they were 17-1 at the opening against Rockets, and also a big lead against Warriors. The challenge is to sustain that defensive grip. It’s not a far fetch for Wemby to win DPOY coming out from a top defensive team if Spurs continue, as I believe they would being Pop’s team. Sochan’s agility to stay in front of a guard then switch to a big. The whole team able to switch from 1-5 is crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is exactly why I'm saying this is a playoff team. We've dominated other teams in the first half of every preseason game.
    I just don’t see a 30-35 win team when i watch them. Either I’m going to be surprised or everyone else is. I think this is at LEAST a .500 team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Any of the individual awards like DPOY or MVP are highly political. You usually have to wait your ‘turn’. All D and All Star are more likely possibilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very pleasantly surprised by it. Zach is scrappy and his 3 ball is looking legit now. They need to extend him now
    His extension would be based on his current $7M salary, so it would be dumb for him to sign one. We’ll have a ton of cap room next summer, and can sign him to a new contract at a much higher rate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SL defense is great but, man, I just think it's obvious that Jeremy and Keldon would both benefit offensively if Jeremy was slotted to the 3 and Keldon moved to the bench.

Again, experimenting is fine and they'll get 10-20 games to do so before Pop will see the light + I don't think there's a good enough PG on the roster to make the move a no-brainer. But Jeremy should not be bringing the ball up full time and initiating the offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully the hockey subs/lineup won't be a thing once the regular season starts because that group is terrible

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully the hockey subs/lineup won't be a thing once the regular season starts because that group is terrible
    I don’t think Pop has ever gone longer than 8 players in his rotation. This is a weird year,but I expect him to get players beyond that playing time thru resting rotation guys.
    Last edited by exstatic; 10-21-2023 at 10:08 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Couldn't have gone better imo. A preseason game and missing a vital player for them in Draymond, but the Warriors are really good at home.

The offense is so hard for teams to handle right now and we're not really doing much with Wembanyama (I mean Wembanyana). To me the key may be Zach Collins. He pulls the big out and is doing what Poeltl did as a high hub but may be even more effective because of his shot.

I'm on the train for Sochan as point. The Warriors won't start both Paul and Curry (Draymond) so the mismatches won't be happening as often. He also has a long way to go with his turnarounds, post moves, counters. Would love to see a baby hook like Zach. My concern was always on the defensive side. Could he stay with faster guards? This was his promise out of the draft - he's so fast and agile for his size.

Mamukelashvili was the only deep bench guy who was like the starters, making decisive actions and letting it fly. He was great in limited minutes. A Mamu like this is actually a rotation player.

Is that real with Bassey's roll into the lane and floater? He hit like four of them.

I feel like Branham is only doing like 10% of what he'll eventually do on offense. He hits the same areas but he gets his shot off really well. More important to me, he's busting his butt and mpacting the game outside scoring. I don't see the atrocious defense and ballwatching right now.

Quite a performance. The defense is potentially not simply 'mediocre,' which would have been a big improvement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MVP is entirely possible imo.
    He's been the best player on the court by far every game so far.

Seeing him block lil got Curry, strip the ball from others is just a joy.

Bear in mind the vote is done by 11 media losers, and check this from last year:

"That included ESPN talent Mark Jackson, who had curiously left Jokic off his NBA MVP ballot earlier in the offseason."

(the massive got did vote for Jokic in the end)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can read all the skepticism about wemby slowly melt away….as we witness ( leswept- we are witness now) wemby develop and learn to dominate…

”I hate people trying to compare him to durant….blah…his handle..blah…his shooting percentage…”

”the spurs are not a playoff team …3-4 years before we KNOW…blah…blah”

”why look for another star when wemby wont be ready untill 2026…blah…”

just believe your own eyes…health is all that matters and even then - should wemby face that challenge he will come back stronger…

i see less and less disbelief after just 4 preseason -stints- of 20 mins each…

strap in and enjoy the unicorn!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont see why wemby cant win dpoy....Jackson averaged 18,7,3 to win dpoy....I think we all can agree that wemby get those stats if not better
    and gets our team better record then last year
    for him to get DPOY the Spurs overall need to be a Top 10 defense ...

Thread Information