Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we can use this thread to debate how much the spurs were set bback by the overleverage of top teams. while late first round picks aren't much better then good seconds, the spurs probably lost two or three by teams being so overspent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write up - I agree with most of the grades but I would give Richardson deal a C with potential for B+ if things go well there…

I love the other trades, especially the Jak deal and I more so love the fact Sa is clearly locked in on their vision, doing smart things to stay consistent there vs waffling in between and they are now a very active trade partner which was a huge part of the FO missing for a long while.

I just feel pretty disappointed they let so much cap space go to waste; they did well overall and having the cap space left doesn’t harm them but it feels like a real missed opportunity and have to wonder if they learned a lesson regarding waiting too long vs taking deals maybe in off season since bird in hand you know?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ agree. As a fan i want to understand the theory of the case as it were. The front office is finally picking a path.

I’d be frustrated if I were routing for a WAS, CHA, or even HOU right now precisely because they have no clue what their strategy for success is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write up - I agree with most of the grades but I would give Richardson deal a C with potential for B+ if things go well there…

I love the other trades, especially the Jak deal and I more so love the fact Sa is clearly locked in on their vision, doing smart things to stay consistent there vs waffling in between and they are now a very active trade partner which was a huge part of the FO missing for a long while.

I just feel pretty disappointed they let so much cap space go to waste; they did well overall and having the cap space left doesn’t harm them but it feels like a real missed opportunity and have to wonder if they learned a lesson regarding waiting too long vs taking deals maybe in off season since bird in hand you know?
    Agree. I thought the Spurs waited too long. ST was talking about maybe getting at least 1 unprotected FRP for acquiring Westbrook? That boat sailed and the Spurs was left with huge cap space? Maybe absorbing Simmons for 1-2 unprotected??? Whatever, but nothing. Again PATFO seems to make solid moves, but nothing really sexy to warrant an A. Overall grade? B-

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. I thought the Spurs waited too long. ST was talking about maybe getting at least 1 unprotected FRP for acquiring Westbrook? That boat sailed and the Spurs was left with huge cap space? Maybe absorbing Simmons for 1-2 unprotected??? Whatever, but nothing. Again PATFO seems to make solid moves, but nothing really sexy to warrant an A. Overall grade? B-
    None of this was ever on the table. You weren’t high on Jak but were also disappointed we couldn’t get two unprotected FRPs for him. C’mon man.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ in my book, it’s hard for me to give a grade less than an A- for the totality of the moves of the 2022-23 season (starting with Murray).

Setting aside the blockbuster moves at the deadline, who would we say has done better under the cir stances? Maybe Utah, but they had more pieces to play with at the start than the Spurs did. My only quibble is not using the capspace more aggressively, but now we are seeing that was mostly a function of the stingy marketplace and it’s SRP-paloozaness.

The final analysis will come draft time.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will the Spurs be able to use their cap space on draft night to absorb contract(s) that extend into next season? If so, them not having used it at the trade deadline is more defensible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we have to compartmentalize some; the most important thing by far was moving Jak and they did a great job in that deal and maximized his value given the context of situation. So that alone warrants and overall A.

Ya, I dont love the Richardson deal but it was fine and hopefully improves with some time. I dont love they leave proverbial meat on the bone; but it doesn’t “hurt” them it just doesn’t maximize asset management.

So definitely see some areas for improvement but overall? They are nailing the most important things and that should weight way more heavily than anything else. They crushed the Murray deal. They did really well with White to give themselves a shot at a real amazing return there. Jak was a slamming deal. DeRozan deal looks more and more solid.

Those things matter more than the rest and its a nice balance of real tangible assets along with some high upside swing (like the BOS swap)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will the Spurs be able to use their cap space on draft night to absorb contract(s) that extend into next season? If so, them not having used it at the trade deadline is more defensible.
    Yes - but they could have done both. Where the took on some people and still have tons of cap space next year to keep doing that. It looks like they indeed passed on deals for WB pre season and that appears to have been a misstep or miscalculation on their end on their ability to do better or up values with time. Doug, Josh etc..didn’t up their values at all and Spurs were left standing when the music stopped to a degree.

No harm no foul, just not “optimal”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was able to Force-Trade McBuckets for 3 unprotected FRPs on 2k, so I give the Spurs an F- for this deadline.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically yes, but I don’t see it being a real factor because they have all the capspace again next year. Like if the spurs wanted to do a Ben Simmons trade, they could just do it next year. Would probably be different if we were in “buy” mode but that’s unlikely unless maybe the get Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all seriousness, I too would have liked to see us get some assets into that cap space, but I'm glad we didn't force it by trying to absorb someone like Simmons (without a significant haul that frankly I don't think BKY wants to pay, they just got draft capital back, they can't afford to lose it salary dumps) with multiple years left.

If the Spurs land a Wemby or some other franchise altering player, we're going to want that cap space to quickly build a contender around him by using some of our warchest. The 1989 Model.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically yes, but I don’t see it being a real factor because they have all the capspace again next year. Like if the spurs wanted to do a Ben Simmons trade, they could just do it next year. Would probably be different if we were in “buy” mode but that’s unlikely unless maybe the get Wemby.
    Agree - there was just “free” money this year with the floor but again its not an “issue” just observation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In all seriousness, I too would have liked to see us get some assets into that cap space, but I'm glad we didn't force it by trying to absorb someone like Simmons (without a significant haul that frankly I don't think BKY wants to pay, they just got draft capital back, they can't afford to lose it salary dumps) with multiple years left.

If the Spurs land a Wemby or some other franchise altering player, we're going to want that cap space to quickly build a contender around him by using some of our warchest. The 1989 Model.
    Yeah this is will be an interesting dynamic if we are fortunate to land Wemby because he alone won’t make much a difference to this current roster but now you have a reason to start building quickly. Personally I’d rather they keep a slow rebuild even if they land him and get a few more lottery picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None of this was ever on the table. You weren’t high on Jak but were also disappointed we couldn’t get two unprotected FRPs for him. C’mon man.
    That doesn't mean I don't want 2 FRP's for Jak Hey you guys said Jak's top 10 Center. But besides that, huge cap, plenty of movable assets... getting 1 protected FRP and 5 SRP's and we got Graham's 15 mil salary, an injured Birch with his 7 million. I take it back C-

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah this is will be an interesting dynamic if we are fortunate to land Wemby because he alone won’t make much a difference to this current roster but now you have a reason to start building quickly. Personally I’d rather they keep a slow rebuild even if they land him and get a few more lottery picks.
    I see the appeal in that but that is where I think you start playing with fire on guys wanting out. Most NBA players probably don't really care where they play home guys. They want to be rich and they want to compete. Those are the two biggest motivating factors, not whether or not San Antonio has nightclubs. Don't want to around and find yourself in a Charlotte situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully that poodle pick is not in the 20's

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fans make up fake trades where the Spurs get good picks for taking Westbrook or Robinson and then hold it against the Spurs when that doesn't happen. The same has already happened with Simmons. Cap space and salary slots don't work that way in the modern NBA. They got a good haul for Poeltl, and they turned Richardson (who himself was just salary ballast from a previous year) into a trade token and another year of Richardson's salary slot. Josh didn't have a ton of value. He'd be traded for basically nothing multiple times. This is arguably the most he's gotten since the Butler trade. Graham made sense as a buy-low candidate. It's arguably better that he's not expiring than if he is, because the Spurs have a player who currently fills a need without having to offer a long-term deal to a player this summer. Vet PG is now no longer a need.

I don't know if there is a team that did better during the deadline. You can say Dallas and Phoenix win just by getting superstars. The Nets got a haul but also lost two stars. Everyone else was just part of the bundles-of-seconds sweepstakes. The Spurs definitely hover above that group and are probably just above Portland who got a similar haul on the surface but with them getting worse picks when you dig into it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see the appeal in that but that is where I think you start playing with fire on guys wanting out. Most NBA players probably don't really care where they play home guys. They want to be rich and they want to compete. Those are the two biggest motivating factors, not whether or not San Antonio has nightclubs. Don't want to around and find yourself in a Charlotte situation.
    Another losing season and Kelldon is gone. That giddy kid is not even smiling. Then Vassell. It will be a brutal downward spiral and finally you're Sacramento
    Last edited by John B; 02-23-2023 at 08:19 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    F.

No problem with any of the trades, probably should have been done sooner. F because they let it be known they wanted so much more than they actually got. Now they're marked as a team that will completely fold for half their asking price. Not good for future. So, again I say...F.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a great read
    Thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fans make up fake trades where the Spurs get good picks for taking Westbrook or Robinson and then hold it against the Spurs when that doesn't happen. The same has already happened with Simmons. Cap space and salary slots don't work that way in the modern NBA. They got a good haul for Poeltl, and they turned Richardson (who himself was just salary ballast from a previous year) into a trade token and another year of Richardson's salary slot. Josh didn't have a ton of value. He'd be traded for basically nothing multiple times. This is arguably the most he's gotten since the Butler trade. Graham made sense as a buy-low candidate. It's arguably better that he's not expiring than if he is, because the Spurs have a player who currently fills a need without having to offer a long-term deal to a player this summer. Vet PG is now no longer a need.

I don't know if there is a team that did better during the deadline. You can say Dallas and Phoenix win just by getting superstars. The Nets got a haul but also lost two stars. Everyone else was just part of the bundles-of-seconds sweepstakes. The Spurs definitely hover above that group and are probably just above Portland who got a similar haul on the surface but with them getting worse picks when you dig into it.
    The WB deal was not made up; timvp confirmed that was a real offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh after all the spouting about 2 first rounders for Poodle and a 1 first rounder for Richardson......

The league called the Spurs bluff and they settled.

That's it. Could turn out OK.

Would like to know if any team did offer 2 1st for Poodle earlier and Spurs held out.

Grahams salary? Not good. Seriously doubt he starts draining 3'd beyond his career 35% and at 6'1" he's a liability on D. Good unload by New Orleans.
    Re almost cost us the Pistons game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The WB deal was not made up; timvp confirmed that was a real offer.
    The Westbrook trade WAS made up. LJ saying the Spurs and Lakers talked isn't the same thing as the Lakers offering an unprotected pick to turn Westbrook into McD and Richardson without Poeltl. LAL got a much better deal than that. It's much more likely they weren't offering much or were asking for a lot more than you might assume. Earlier in the year, the Lakers were even more Kyrie-hopeful than they are now. They were not going to make a deal that borked their 2023 cap AND give up value for role-players any more than the Spurs were going to lock themselves out of using all of their cap space for a one-and-done moderately protected first. The two sides were really not good fits, but some posters wanted them to fit anyway.

Thread Information