My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's very California to try to replace mass incarceration with involuntary psychiatric commitment.

More Californians with untreated mental illness and addiction issues could be detained against their will and forced into treatment under a new law signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom, a move to help overhaul the state’s mental health system and address its growing homelessness crisis.

The new law, which reforms the state’s conservatorship system, expands the definition of “gravely disabled” to include people who are unable to provide themselves basic needs such as food and shelter due to an untreated mental illness or unhealthy drugs and alcohol use. Local governments say current state laws leave their hands tied if a person refuses to receive help.

The law is designed to make it easier for authorities to provide care to people with untreated mental illness or addictions to alcohol and drugs, many of whom are homeless.
    https://apnews.com/article/californi...69f40db2f2adce

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a reason why Democrats don't really want Newsom for POTUS in 2028, much less 2024

Dems like Will Hunting have floated out Walz, Whitmer, Polis.

Walz has the biggest sandwich of the three because the state's general public is WAY overtaxed, honestly comparable to California.

While Polis has done a decent job of making the state economically successful there are issues with a little bit too much government interference into minutia, like the "green" grocery bag fees statewide he's implemented and since 2019 he passed a law allowing state troopers to collect fines on ALL passenger vehicles that drive on I-70 without all-wheel drive or snow tires, even during the warmer months outside of June-August, which is extremely ridiculous.

Whitmer can run on having success with both thin GOP majorities in the state legislature, and thin Democrat majorities in the state legislature, improving the quality and drivability of the major highways and roads without excessive construction downtime, not passing draconian green measures, and actually lowering the state income tax (from 4.25% to 4.05%) while not raising other taxes (sales, property, or gas -- though she did try to raise the gas tax in 2020 but was denied by the legislature -- though she has not attempted to re-implement this idea with the Democrat majority now since gas has returned to pre-2015 high levels, which is smart)... running a giant budget surplus from an excellent tourist economy in 2019 and 2021-present, plus the marijuana revenue like in Colorado. Colorado and Michigan do benefit from tourism from the nature beauty, more than a state like Minnesota, and people don't really vacation in California much anymore because everything is so expensive and homeless and property crime there is through the roof. Whitmer's biggest sore spot is how she handled the 2020 Covid situation and infringed in individual civil liberties during that time (essentially April 2020-May 2021), but that's in the rearview mirror and it's one issue and other Democrats and some Republicans did a similar thing, so that's not an issue that's going to kill her come 2028.

Whitmer for Democrat nomination in 2028, IMO. She'd actually be a legitimate first female president, unlike Shillary who rode the coattails of Bill, or Kamala who basically sucked her way to where she is now. Or Nimrata 'Nikki Haley' Randhawa.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    "it's very California to try to replace mass incarceration with involuntary psychiatric commitment."

That's the way it was 45 years ago, but the cost was too extreme, so, MSM, in close association with American Democracy kicked 'em all out of the booby hatches and into the street. That's Effy's " ed around" part.

Effy's "found out" part? That's now, 45 years later.

tee, hee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's very California to try to replace mass incarceration with involuntary psychiatric commitment.

https://apnews.com/article/californi...69f40db2f2adce
    Vs leaving them out in public to cause havoc?

All for them getting proper treatment and shelter.
    If there are abusers in the treatment centers, ya that is a travesty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    being homeless isn't a crime or even a per se threat to public safety. absent an imminent threat to themselves or others, people should be allowed to accept or refuse help as they please.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

All for them getting proper treatment and shelter.
    If there are abusers in the treatment centers, ya that is a travesty.
    Oh, no, uh, uh. We give Ukrainian Nazi's "proper treatment and shelter." We give wet backs "proper treatment and shelter." Americans? Nope. "Into the street you go and get a move on!"

American Democracy, indeed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    being homeless isn't a crime or even a per se threat to public safety. absent an imminent threat to themselves or others, people should be allowed to accept or refuse help as they please.
    And if they are?

b. How many of them are able to make a safe sane self answer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And if they are?

b. How many of them are able to make a safe sane self answer?
    Police can already arrest anyone who's a threat to themselves and others and make psych referrals. Discomfort with seeing homeless people in public isn't a public safety problem, it's a you problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police can already arrest anyone who's a threat to themselves and others and make psych referrals. Discomfort with seeing homeless people in public isn't a public safety problem, it's a you problem.
    o, Real World calling.
    Homeless guy passed out in San Diego and pissing himself in front of business entry. Security calls. 2 hours later still no one shows up. I rapped with Secutiry Manager and he said to the San Diego PD It's not a priority call. Murder, rape and gay mayor needing a fresh dil all rank higher and get pronto attention.

Poor guy needs help and probably SHOULD be admitted for his own health.
    Nope. Didn't happen and aint going to under old law.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a terrible nuisance, but being passed out in public isn't proof that someone's insane or a public danger. Probably is an arrestable offense, though. If he's blocking an exit I can see how that would be dangerous. It's a pity the San Diego PD doesn't care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a terrible nuisance, but being passed out in public isn't proof that someone's insane or a public danger. Probably is an arrestable offense, though. If he's blocking an exit I can see how that would be dangerous. It's a pity the San Diego PD doesn't care.
    Passed out in front of a busy business walking entry is indeed a public danger.

It's not the PD per say but the got greedy do nothing politicians who form policy and extort and/waste money.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

It's not the PD per say but the got greedy do nothing politicians who form policy and extort and/waste money.
    ...and, and, and plot to assassinate Trump because he made President.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

no, it's the police too.

Thread Information