Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We played pretty good defense (by letting them shoot 48% from the three)

We stuck together against a very good team (a very good that had lost 7 of its last 8)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This turkey neck of a coach is taking a beating to his legacy like a pinata at a mexican kids birthday party,,,,he's to arrogant to step down.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop made a ref to the 1st game Kawhi came back in SA when apparently fans ... didn't boo him?

Is it true?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop made a ref to the 1st game Kawhi came back in SA when apparently fans ... didn't boo him?

Is it true?
    He got dementia

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m shocked he didn’t call the Warriors fans classless when they cheered Wemby’s misses and the shot he had blocked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Is it true?
    where was this, in the pregame comments?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. pre game interview (he speaks a lot more than after)

Pop would be shoked if he went to watch a football (soccer lol) game in (latin) europe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the Warriors are far from a "very good team."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop criticizing players after that game would just be ill-advised.

This loss, and the 11 games L streak, is mostly on the front office and Pop. For the most part, I find players are doing what they can. I don't think they're giving up or playing selfishly/lazily. It would just be dishonest for Pop to throw them under the bus while at the same time he is hurting the team with a coaching focused on players development and not results.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This loss, and the 11 games L streak, is mostly on the front office and Pop. For the most part, I find players are doing what they can. I don't think they're giving up or playing selfishly/lazily. It would just be dishonest for Pop to throw them under the bus while at the same time he is hurting the team with a coaching focused on players development and not results.
    Do you know about the current mentality of French fans in general, may I ask? Are they concerned for Wemby's development or was this type of (team) struggle somewhat expected for the 1st pick?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There were plenty of executional gaffes yesterday that require accountability and that's a big part of many people's issues with the coaching recently. You hope some correction is going on behind the scenes but the Pop of old wouldn't be giving answers like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you know about the current mentality of French fans in general, may I ask? Are they concerned for Wemby's development or was this type of (team) struggle somewhat expected for the 1st pick?
    Honestly, I don't know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't think any of us think the players are lazy. They're directionless. Pop's the one being lazy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players can be criticized only if they underperform because of lack of effort.

Spurs have zero proven players on big contracts that woud be blamed for poor start of the season.

Youngsters are giving their best effort, but they're either not good enough or the gameplan isn't getting the best out of them.

That's up for everyone to decide, I think it's somewhere inbetween.

Pop is obviously trying something that can't work and by doing so is making the team look even worse than they actually are.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players can be criticized only if they underperform because of lack of effort.

Spurs have zero proven players on big contracts that woud be blamed for poor start of the season.

Youngsters are giving their best effort, but they're either not good enough or the gameplan isn't getting the best out of them.

That's up for everyone to decide, I think it's somewhere inbetween.

Pop is obviously trying something that can't work and by doing so is making the team look even worse than they actually are.
    They are consistently in the wrong place on defense, and they give up the highest percentage shots, whether twos or threes. They gamble for steals which results in defenders out of position, and they don't move the ball well on offense or move well without the ball, resulting in poor-quality shots. Add in their inconsistency and it's lethal.

I'm of the opposite belief from you. I think Pop isn't trying at all, because he relied on good players for too long and he has nobody either on the squad or on the bench to set the foundation. This is D'Antoni levels of failure to understand how to adjust.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    except in football (soccer) french sports fans aren’t too emotional.

Victor doesn’t have yet the same impact than other stars like Mbappe. In part bc he hasn’t played any compe ion with the national team or had memorable games that would make him a public figure beyond sports fans. (France doesn’t have a huge sport culture compared to its neighbors)
    In their majority they’re in a « wait and see » mode + Pop and the Spurs make them trust the process a lot more than US’s Spurs fans.
    The fact that most don’t watch the games live helps as well.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think any of us think the players are lazy. They're directionless. Pop's the one being lazy.
    What direction should they go in, this team as constructed is not good. At least they attempted to play some kind of defense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I misunderstood your thread. I thought you wanted Pop to be harsher with the players.

I agree that Pop isn't really coaching the team and I don't see how he could given that he has decided to put Sochan as starting PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last two games we've improved our season point differential from -13.4 to -12.9

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are consistently in the wrong place on defense, and they give up the highest percentage shots, whether twos or threes. They gamble for steals which results in defenders out of position, and they don't move the ball well on offense or move well without the ball, resulting in poor-quality shots. Add in their inconsistency and it's lethal.

I'm of the opposite belief from you. I think Pop isn't trying at all, because he relied on good players for too long and he has nobody either on the squad or on the bench to set the foundation. This is D'Antoni levels of failure to understand how to adjust.
    Eh, I still think they're in the wrong positions because Pop uses schemes that are either outdated or better suited for good defenders. And 8 out of 10 usual rotation players are straight up bad on defense.
    Offense is self-explanatory due to lack of an actual floor general.

Pop didn't really have to try for like a decade when he had Manu and Tony, they were smart enough to figure it out alongside good assistants like Bud.
    Pop was more focused on the mental game, didn't micro-manage plays and sets.

Still, he's a legend and he'll stay as long as he wants, but if you ask me, it was really questionable to start a new cycle with a 74 year old coach.
    Especially when Bud is available.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

This.

The Spurs could field a less embarrassing team if their financial plan including paying to win. It doesn't seem to. They sell it as as player development and don't mention that's a choice made over spending money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

The Spurs could field a less embarrassing team if their financial plan including paying to win. It doesn't seem to. They sell it as as player development and don't mention that's a choice made over spending money.

The thing about that, teams are required to spend a certain amount. The Spurs haven’t been getting enough value for their money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What direction should they go in, this team as constructed is not good. At least they attempted to play some kind of defense
    They should go in the direction of running plays for the 7'5" guy within 15 feet of the rim instead of him always drifting to the three point line. It lets teams get away with guarding him with SF and SG that negate his ability to drive since they can pick his pockets pretty easily unlike if he's trying to face up against a big where his handle is good enough to be a huge advantage then. And everyone plays SFs against him because they know the team isn't going to get him the ball in good positions. This just let Victor play and do what he wants to see what the team has was fine for 5-10 games but Pop has to have a pretty good idea now and give him the ball at the three point line isn't working when it's not drawing opposing bigs out.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should go in the direction of running plays for the 7'5" guy within 15 feet of the rim instead of him always drifting to the three point line. It lets teams get away with guarding him with SF and SG that negate his ability to drive since they can pick his pockets pretty easily unlike if he's trying to face up against a big where his handle is good enough to be a huge advantage then. And everyone plays SFs against him because they know the team isn't going to get him the ball in good positions. This just let Victor play and do what he wants to see what the team has was fine for 5-10 games but Pop has to have a pretty good idea now and give him the ball at the three point line isn't working when it's not drawing opposing bigs out.
    This is wrong. You guys keep saying it but it's wrong.

Victor is not Tim Duncan. Victor is not David Robinson. Victor is a guy who faces up from outside the arc. It's what he did in France. He has struggled when he tries to get position because they just foul and hold him and he can't do anything with his back to the basket. People fantasizing that he has any back to the basket game blame his teammates for not passing to him.

Victor needs more touches, but it's because of the offensive possessions where he stands in the corner like Kyle Anderson waiting while nobody kicks the ball out. When he gets the ball at the perimeter nobody cuts and gives him space.

A solution for now is to give him the ball at half court and let him initiate the half court sets, where the expectation from his teammates is motion. He has good vision, can pass, can dribble and shoot. He will take better shots if he isn't denied touches for several possessions in a row. He also won't get tired out wrestling with defenders fruitlessly possession after possession.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is wrong. You guys keep saying it but it's wrong.

Victor is not Tim Duncan. Victor is not David Robinson. Victor is a guy who faces up from outside the arc. It's what he did in France. He has struggled when he tries to get position because they just foul and hold him and he can't do anything with his back to the basket. People fantasizing that he has any back to the basket game blame his teammates for not passing to him.

Victor needs more touches, but it's because of the offensive possessions where he stands in the corner like Kyle Anderson waiting while nobody kicks the ball out. When he gets the ball at the perimeter nobody cuts and gives him space.

A solution for now is to give him the ball at half court and let him initiate the half court sets, where the expectation from his teammates is motion. He has good vision, can pass, can dribble and shoot. He will take better shots if he isn't denied touches for several possessions in a row. He also won't get tired out wrestling with defenders fruitlessly possession after possession.
    Are you telling me you think he's ever going to develop the kind of handles Durant has at 7'5"? As of now Victor having the ball at the three point line is usually a turnover or a bad shot whenever he calls his own number.

Thread Information