Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess they will revise and streamline it going forward, but having all these off days early in the season is frustrating. It can't just be fans of the bad teams that hate this. This was supposed to generate excitement. Is anyone excited other than the players who want the bonus?

On the plus side for us, the Spurs have some time to recharge and get ready for the next third of the season before the all-star break. Let's hope they make the most of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's kind of lame. Maybe if a team wins that has no chance of getting the LOB that's kind of cool. All the talking heads have been propped up to talk about how great it is, but I don't hear fans getting hyped over it.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feels like it's been going on forever. And no I don't care at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont understand that ®tournament®, missed the last 5 seasons excepting some finals and I dont care at all but as some said all those empty days make a dynamic sport like NBA look stupid.
    Leave these meaningless ®tournaments® for the offseason or something so bum teams can brag they won something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The media is more hyped about this than the fans are. The Spurs are getting a break so it's fine

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the IST will gain cachet over the years. The NBA might even put a second one in, maybe in Jan/Feb.

I have to give the league credit for trying. Even if the IST hasn't been enough to get over the early season doldrums, it's a step in the right direction imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the timing of this and the many days off is not good for fans of the losing teams. I personally don't care if an already rich athlete gets a huge bonus while the fans get to watch paint dry. I am also very unexcited that we are playing the #1 team in the West upon our return. The Bulls maybe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The media is more hyped about this than the fans are. The Spurs are getting a break so it's fine
    Actually, team’s that didn’t make the 8 final teams have two games added to their schedule to round it out to 82 games. Ours were @ Minnesota and Chicago here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess they will revise and streamline it going forward, but having all these off days early in the season is frustrating. It can't just be fans of the bad teams that hate this. This was supposed to generate excitement. Is anyone excited other than the players who want the bonus?

On the plus side for us, the Spurs have some time to recharge and get ready for the next third of the season before the all-star break. Let's hope they make the most of it.
    I couldn't even tell you who is even in the Semis or whatever so, yeah....who gives a ? Unless your team is in, it's just an asterisk on the season.

I'm sure the team appreciates the rest but it sucks going this long without a game, and that's saying a lot considering how painful our games have been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the tournament is fine. Still think they could squeeze in other regular season games so that we do not have these long droughts though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, team’s that didn’t make the 8 final teams have two games added to their schedule to round it out to 82 games. Ours were @ Minnesota and Chicago here.
    They do get a break in time, which is probably good for a team that needs practice.

I know it's bad for us since the Spurs are bad, but if the Spurs were le contenders, I would dislike this even more than I disliked all-star weekend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the tournament is fine. Still think they could squeeze in other regular season games so that we do not have these long droughts though.
    Yeah, maybe having the whole week set aside at a neutral site and seeding the non-participating teams to play out their schedule.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, maybe having the whole week set aside at a neutral site and seeding the non-participating teams to play out their schedule.
    Not sure exactly what you meant by that, but when we missed making the final 8, the Wednesday Minnesota and Friday Chicago games were added to the schedule in lieu of any Vegas games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure exactly what you meant by that, but when we missed making the final 8, the Wednesday Minnesota and Friday Chicago games were added to the schedule in lieu of any Vegas games.
    Understood. My suggestion was more to allow there not to be such huge gaps in the schedule. I guess they have to manufacture a sense of anticipation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd do a single elimination tournament, NCAA style, involving all 30 teams (too bad there aren't 32).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Understood. My suggestion was more to allow there not to be such huge gaps in the schedule. I guess they have to manufacture a sense of anticipation.
    I think they needed a wide window for the non-Vegas games, because they didn't know what the matchups would be, and what open dates would be available at each venue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s the Adam silver nba for you. All about the gimmicks for the little kids to enjoy that make them think “man he’s a good commissioner,” but can’t do damage control when needed (cough Draymond).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently, I'm in the minority at least among vocal fans. But I've enjoyed the tournament. Yes, they need to basically stop the year to have it, have it happen quickly, and have a plan for getting eliminated teams to play games more frequently. I think they were really nervous about how to fit it into a set schedule. It would work much better with the dissolution of conferences or at least stop worrying about constraining how often teams can play each other.

For example:

32 teams (because expansion is going to happen) can play each other twice, home and home -- 62 games for each team.

Have a tournament (four groups, round robin group play, break into quarter-finals with top 2 from each group). That would make 7 to 10 games for each team. Play consolation matches (as well as third-place matches) to push it up to 10 games. -- 10 games for each team, 72 games for the season.

Increase the number of games played against division opponents to four. That's another four games (since divisions would be four teams instead of five) -- 6 per team and 78 total.

Rotate another division to play an extra game each season -- four games added and 82 games total.

By far the hardest thing to account for would be consolation matches. From a pure scheduling perspective, that's not that hard to do. Quarters losers can get two other losers, semis losers get a bronze match. Non-qualifying teams can get home slots based on a priority system where different teams start off with different priority levels for each day. Teams would have to have the entire block available to pick their games, but we're just talking about like a week's worth of games here. It would be dicey for LAL and LAC, but every other team should be fine. All ten games can get done in three or four weeks at the most. November will be a slower month in terms of total games played, but that's a good thing for a league who's trying to sell the package to national stations anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i've enjoyed it more than i thought i would; it's the only time we get to see a one and done, NCAA-like, level of compe ion. i actually think the rest could prove beneficial to the spurs. devin gets more time to heal and wemby gets some much needed rest. spurs could also use as much practice time as possible. the games have been pretty entertaining as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they needed a wide window for the non-Vegas games, because they didn't know what the matchups would be, and what open dates would be available at each venue.
    Exactly that. Hence my suggestion to have the entire league play at neutral sites and schedule the non-tournament games on off days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally trash.

It should be a mini NFL playoffs, one game, win or go home. Gives bad teams a chance at stealing something superficially of worth and would increase the excitement 100 fold.

Whole thing should be done in two Fridays/Saturdays' time.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's alright, but the floors are disasters. Can't believe there hasn't been a major injury on them yet given how much everyone is slipping and sliding on these tourney courts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally trash.

It should be a mini NFL playoffs, one game, win or go home. Gives bad teams a chance at stealing something superficially of worth and would increase the excitement 100 fold.

Whole thing should be done in two Fridays/Saturdays' time.
    They modeled it after soccer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What we were watching was horrible so rather they practiced n bring us better products

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other problem is you planned it during a very critical part in the college football season, which makes even more people not care about it. I don't know if anything can be done about the timing but a meaningless tournament shoehorned into a meaningful time for another very popular sport is never going to get the attention that you wanted to get

Thread Information