Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/20/boy.shot.ap/index.html

BATAVIA, Ohio (AP) -- A man who neighbors say was devoted to his meticulously kept lawn was charged with murder in the shooting of a 15-year-old boy who apparently walked across his yard.

Charles Martin called 911 on Sunday afternoon, saying calmly: "I just killed a kid."

Police, who released the call's contents, said Martin also told the dispatcher: "I've been harassed by him and his parents for five years. Today just blew it up."

Larry Mugrage, whose family lived next door, was shot in the chest with a shotgun. The high school freshman was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Martin, 66, allegedly told police he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn. He remained jailed without bond Monday. His jailers said no attorney was listed for him.

Neighbors said Martin lived alone quietly, often sitting in front of his one-story home with its neat lawn, well-trimmed shrubbery and flag pole with U.S. and Navy flags flying.

Joanne Ritchie, 46, said Mugrage was known as "a good kid." She said she always also considered Martin to be friendly.

Union Township is near Batavia, about 20 miles east of Cincinnati, Ohio.
    All I know is I'm never walking on someone else's lawn again!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thats legal so he shouldnt be in trouble, technically the kid was trespassing, however they might get him just for being a bit excessive

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thats legal so he shouldnt be in trouble, technically the kid was trespassing, however they might get him just for being a bit excessive
    It is not legal to shoot someone on your lawn.

The guy will be spending the rest of his life in prison, and rightly so.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Its still technically tresspassing and you can shoot anyone trespassing on your property, especially if he was warned plenty of times before, but i might just be thinking Texas law

Too weird to live, and too rare to die. midgetonadonkey's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The kid shouldn't have been walking on his grass.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Its still technically tresspassing and you can shoot anyone trespassing on your property, especially if he was warned plenty of times before, but i might just be thinking Texas law

I believe the law you are referring to, as we know it is only a Texas law. Secondly I believe he has to be in your house to shoot him, not on your property.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If you have a fence, they just have to be inside of it. If you don't have a fence they have to be on your porch. Some like that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    hes gonna get the death penalty

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The kid shouldn't have been walking on his grass.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's so wrong. Texas Law? That is not Texas law.

You can only use force for defense of others and yourself.

You can't use force to protect tresspass unless the tresspasser makes a move on you or won't drop weapon etc.

I suggest you learn some law before you look dumb on the forum.

When it comes to use of force don't give out lame advice.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

You can't use force to protect tresspass unless the tresspasser makes a move on you or won't drop weapon etc.

Get this: He's studying to be an attorney!!!!!!!

NO, SERIOUSLY!

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Where the you been, in Texas you can rape, burn, shoot, cut, and bite anyone tresspassing in your home.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

You can't shooting somebody just for trespassing...unless maybe it's a burglar and you're doing it in self-defense. Clearly, the young boy wasn't threatening to harm the guy in any way...maybe just his precious grass. In no way was the man's life threatened so he can't claim self-defense as the reason he shot the poor boy. He could have just called the cops on the kid and gotten him in trouble for trespassing instead.

There are some real freaks in this world. Killing a kid over something like this. I heard the story on GMA this morning, the guy actually called 9-11 right after, and hearing the recording, he said very calmly, "I just shot my teenage neighbor because he was $#@ up my lawn."

The Usual Suspect
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Where the you been, in Texas you can rape, burn, shoot, cut, and bite anyone tresspassing in your home.
    And, apparently, the police can shoot anyone they want.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    hes gonna get the death penalty
    Not according to our law student, batman.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The guy would have been better off just beating the out of the kid.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The guy would have been better off just beating the out of the kid.
    I wonder how much the parents and kid ed with him. Not that it was a reason for the kid to die, but I just want both sides of the story.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

sorry i just go off what i learn at school and they said tresspassing of any kind permits shots to be fired. Who knows though maybe my professor is wrong...maybe you know more than him

Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I used to live next door to a man like that -- only, he didn't shoot (although he threatened a few times), he called the police. Constantly.

And if you happened to be playing ball and one went over his fence, if you got it back...it'd have a big hole punched into it.

Old bas .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He must have had some really badass grass.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Check out state code PC 9.02 for reference. In the end you would have to convince a jury or police review that the tresspasser was a threat.

If not you will face charges.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    sorry i just go off what i learn at school and they said tresspassing of any kind permits shots to be fired. Who knows though maybe my professor is wrong...maybe you know more than him
    you really need to rethink your career choice.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    why would i need to rethink my career choice?? Its not like im going into criminal law anyways, besides im just going off of what i learned in school.....so danyo what are you doing with your life again??/? thats right still living on the southside...go ahead and crack your jokes ill be sure to buy the oranges your future kids sell off military and commercial or whatever those streets are....so they can at least have something to eat

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sorry I came off harsh. It's a thing that can change people's life in an instant.

If some perp is on your property and you say freeze mother BEEPer and they keep coming at you then by all means.. blow them away without hesitation with double taps like Jack Bauer...

But if they are just like there to steal a lawn mower you could get in trouble.

It also depends on perps and your record.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sorry I came off harsh. It's a thing that can change people's life in an instant.

If some perp is on your property and you say freeze mother BEEPer and they keep coming at you then by all means.. blow them away without hesitation with double taps like Jack Bauer...

But if they are just like there to steal a lawn mower you could get in trouble.

It also depends on perps and your record.
    no problem its better to learn these things the hard way, that way it makes a lasting impression......

Thread Information