Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that this is a legitimate question.
    For Spurs fans, we can consider it in two ways:

first, are they a tougher team for us to beat in a 7 game series than the mavericks

second, could the kings beat the mavericks in a 7 game series?

First, despite my dislike of Dallas (heightened by a rodent perhaps), I will admit that Dallas is a much better team this year than in past years. While I believe that we will win, I think that it will go 6 or 7 games. So, this post does not mean that I think we will steamroll Dallas because I don't believe that. I hate to say it, but Dallas has a very good team this year; painfully, they may be one of the top 4 teams in the league (Detroit, San Antonio, Dallas, New Jersey). One of these teams may struggle against a lesser team due primarily to matchups. Dallas' defense has improved and they have a lot of good athletes and a good bench. Dirk is still a tough match up and he is an elite player.

Having said that, Bruce somewhat defangs the Mavericks since Dirk can't or won't post Bruce up. Dirk is on most nights relatively inefficient against Bruce. My biggest complaint remains that Dallas does not have a low post scorer who can punish you on the block, preferably a power forward. Plus, they don't share the ball, move the ball well. These two factors result in a lower field goal percentage against good defensive teams in the playoffs.

With Ron Artest and Bonzi Wells, the Kings do have low post scoring threats. They cause a lot of strain on our defense when they post us up. Normally, neither is a great 3 point shooter, but if I were Rick Adelman, I would prefer that they post up smaller defenders as much as possible. Besides, with Bibby and Miller, they can shoot the 3 well enough. Those mismatches are brutal.
    When Miller is on, he can draw your big out of the paint, eliminating your big's ability to help out on Bonzi or Ron. We can put Bruce on Brad as some one suggested and these things can be played where a satisfactory outcome occurs, but it is not easy.

Plus, the Kings addition of Ron Artest did a great deal to improve their defense. I am uncertain if Artest can guard Dirk well consistently. However, that is possible.

Therefore, it appears to me that the Kings are a tougher match up for us than the Mavericks.

I do not think that the Mavs would be prohibitive favorites in a 7 game series against the Kings, even with home court advantage. They might be slightly favored due to home court.

During the regular season, I would expect the Mavs to have a much better record.

What are your thoughts, opinions?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    One game. It's been one game.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game #1: Sacramento @ San Antonio, SA +34
    Game #1: Dallas @ San Antonio, SA +2

Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I don't know...I was at the Kings game the day before they came to SA and beat the Spurs (late regular season). The Mavs rolled em'...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playoffs are a chess match with each team making adjustment. Look for Avery to start running Dirk off of screens more to negate Bruce Bowen and expect Dirk to have at least a couple of huge games in this series. Avery is sagging guys on defense (usually dirk +1) to take away the Spurs fast break and Spurs offensive rebounding HAS to get better to stop this. Yesterdays game was like round 1 in a heavyweight boxing match with the two bruisers testing each other out before the serious slugging starts. Should be a great series. I think this one might go the distance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kings key seemed to be Brad Miller.
    Artest and Bonzi were great.
    Miller could have been that low block you talked about. However Miller played much of the Spurs series like he had cement in his shoes.

Kings were like a #3 seed, really. I would not attatch too much to their -30 buttkicking at the hands of the Mavs towoards end of reg season. Look at what the Kings bounced back from in Gm 1 of the series, -34 vs Spurs.
    Also before Artest tweaked his ankle they were right in Gm 6.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on. Dallas >>> Sacramento. Wait till the series gets to Dallas.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    this is a stupid question

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    so are u saying that this years king's team is better than the 02-03 king's team which consisted of bibby,christie,peja,webber,vlade? with a very good 6th man in bobby jackson?
    because the mavs did beat that 02-03 team and saying the mavs < kings means that this kings team is better than the 02-03 team
    plus this years mavs team is definately better than any other previous mavs team in the past

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the mavs won 60 games. they are better.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kings > Grizzlies. That's as far as I'm willing to go.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Ludicrous statement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, dude. The Grizzlies suck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Kings are definitely the greater team out of the two....The mavs just dont have what it takes to take it to the spurs the way the kings did

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Matchups at the 2 and 3 spots will be easier in the series than last.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    first, are they a tougher team for us to beat in a 7 game series than the mavericks

second, could the kings beat the mavericks in a 7 game series?
    Here are the answers you seek:

Question 1: We'll know at the end of this series.

Question 2: It would be impossible for the Kings to beat the Mavs in a 7 game series because the Kings have already been eliminated from the playoffs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "the mavs won 60 games."

The Kings had the 2nd best record in the West after ASB+Artest, but that's not the real indicator.

The Mavs are better than the Kings because the Mavs have more offensive weapons and play better defense.
    Last edited by boutons_; 05-08-2006 at 12:12 PM.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Nah, dude. The Grizzlies suck.
    Oh no, lol. Sorry, I wasn't arguing with you, I was addressing the original post of the thread. I agree with you, the Grizzlies do suck.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The Kings are definitely the greater team out of the two....The mavs just dont have what it takes to take it to the spurs the way the kings did
    After one game you're making these assumptions? You must be

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh no, lol. Sorry, I wasn't arguing with you, I was addressing the original post of the thread. I agree with you, the Grizzlies do suck.
    I've been waiting to see if you caught that post. I knew what you meant, but it was too funny to pass up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I reckon the Spurs are the best team in the west, and the Kings would have been the number 2 if they had Artest all year long

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I've been waiting to see if you caught that post. I knew what you meant, but it was too funny to pass up.
    Yeah, I suspected you were messing with me cuz you didn't try to rip my head off, lol. Touche. I woulda done the same thing to you

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Yeah, I suspected you were messing with me cuz you didn't try to rip my head off, lol. Touche. I woulda done the same thing to you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simply put the Mavs dont have a dominant force to outrebound and score like nuts like Bonzi wells did on us. Dirk definetly is that person for the mavs, Josh Howard is a great player and i respect his game but outside of him who else will step up??? Dirk is on lockdown, wont be the entire series but still on lock down. Jason Terry wont be scoring at will, Josh howard will have 20 point games, stackhouse wont be scoring like he did on sundayall the time....there is nothing left.....what devin harriS??? ha hah a ha

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    "the mavs won 60 games."

The Kings had the 2nd best record in the West after ASB+Artest, but that's not the real indicator.
    No they didn't.

In fact, they had a slightly lower winning percentage than MEMPHIS even if you only count the games after they got Artest. Much less Dallas.

Thread Information