Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mike Monroe: Carlesimo not receiving fair shot

Web Posted: 05/31/2006 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b....1752c791.html

It's difficult to understand why Spurs assistant P.J. Carlesimo has not had a chance to interview for the Sacramento Kings' coaching position.

By all accounts, Kings majority owners Joe and Gavin Maloof are ready to make John Whisenant the first person to jump directly from a WNBA bench to the head coach's seat on an NBA bench. The brothers interviewed former Spurs player/assistant coach Mario Elie, now assisting Warriors coach Mike Montgomery, and former Warriors coach Eric Musselman, now assisting Mike Fratello in Memphis, but not Carlesimo.

Though the Maloofs are said to admire Gregg Popovich more than any NBA coach, a source close to the process said the owners chose not to interview his top assistant.

This is puzzling, especially since the Spurs' second-round playoff exit afforded them a graceful opportunity to talk with Carlesimo. When the Spurs were ousted and Carlesimo did not hear from the Kings soon thereafter, he figured he was not on the Maloofs' short list. Not getting a call, he said, was not as disappointing as interviewing last year with the Timberwolves and not landing the job.

Why would the Kings hire Whisenant, aside from his being the only pro coach in Sacramento able to hang a banner at Arco Arena thanks to the WNBA-champion Monarchs?

This decision seems more about loyalty than basketball.

Whisenant has a long history with the Maloofs, going back to his days as an assistant coach at the University of New Mexico under Norm Ellenberger in the mid-to-late-1970s. The Maloof brothers grew up in Albuquerque, where the patriarch of the family, George J. Maloof, made millions off a Coors beer distributorship. Maloof Sr. bought majority interest in the Houston Rockets in 1978, but he died in 1980, and the family sold the team two years later after the Rockets advanced to the 1981 NBA Finals.

Before the Maloofs got back into NBA ownership by buying the Kings, they tried to purchase the Spurs. During their flirtation with the city and the team's ownership group, Joe and Gavin Maloof brought with them a trusted sports business consultant: John Whisenant.

This is a tough break for Carlesimo, who deserves another shot at coaching his own team, because it looks like the Kings' head coaching job is going to be the only one available in the NBA this summer.

It's official: Commissioner David Stern's defense of the referees working the playoffs this spring has been tepid, at best. In the main, his message is: Sure, our referees make mistakes, but not as many as officials in other basketball leagues and in other sports.

Stern insists NBA refs are right about 92 percent of the time. That is remarkable, given the nature of the game and the pace at which it is played.

But it doesn't help the refs' image when the league's basketball operations department has to officially admit a major mistake was made in a playoff game. Stu Jackson last week was forced to rescind the technical foul referee Bavetta slapped on the Spurs' Michael Finley in the second quarter of Game 4 of the Western Conference semifinal series against the Mavericks.

Bavetta gave Finley a technical for throwing an elbow as players scrambled for rebound position after a free-throw attempt. Jackson, the league's vice-president for basketball operations, ruled it had been called incorrectly. That saved Finley the $1,000 fine that goes along with every technical but didn't do much to make the Spurs feel better about having to watch the Western Conference finals.

Remember, Dirk Nowitzki made the foul shot that followed Finley's technical, and the game was tied at the end of regulation. The Spurs lost in overtime.

Jackson never bothered to phone anyone in the Spurs' basketball ops department to tell them Bavetta had erred. Instead, he just e-mailed, which helps explain why some refer to him as Stu "Not Rod" Jackson, a sad comparison to his popular predecessor, Rod Thorn.

It is absurd to assert that the Spurs would have won the game had the technical not been called. There is no way to project how the second half would have played out with a one-point deduction in Dallas' halftime score, but the rescinding of the technical shook a few more grains of salt into a painful wound.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Knick Bavetta strikes again.

Orlando Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    P.J. should be given an interview at least. I hope he stays with the Spurs, but he deserves a chance with a NBA team.

I hope that the Spurs can hold on to their assistants/other staffers for once. We've had top assistants for years and then other teams come swooping in and offer them something nicer. I'm not blaming the Spurs for loosing them esp. when a team offers a better paying/position then they had with the Spurs. Keep the coaching staff intact for next season.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    i dont care who the coach is as long as they coach defense and thats what whisenant does. its not a done deal anyway, its a rumor. i will believe it when i see the press conference.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By all accounts, Kings majority owners Joe and Gavin Maloof are ready to make John Whisenant the first person to jump directly from a WNBA bench to the head coach's seat on an NBA bench.
    Must....resist...."has experience working with a bunch of pussies" joke....

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Must....resist...."has experience working with a bunch of pussies" joke....
    it probably wont even happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's official: Commissioner David Stern's defense of the referees working the playoffs this spring has been tepid, at best. In the main, his message is: Sure, our referees make mistakes, but not as many as officials in other basketball leagues and in other sports.
    give me a fukn break stern, this seasons officiating was worster than last season playoff run, and worster then playin at staples center durin the fakers 3peat where u cant even get a call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WNBA Coach.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    to bad hes not gonna be the coach. you just wasted your time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you sure?

But the resolution of Carlesimo's status may bring the Kings one step closer to officially hiring frontrunner John Whisenant, the Monarchs general manager and coach.
    Looks like it's about to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Since when did Mike Bibby grow out his hair?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

Since when did Mike Bibby grow out his hair?
    before the season started.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Are you sure?

Looks like it's about to happen.
    shhh, im still in denial.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PJ needs to stay with the Spurs. We don't need anyone else out there who knows all our plays.

delivering the goods
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is why I call them the MAGOOFS

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    i have heard from an inside source that its a done deal
    what source was that?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    this is why I call them the MAGOOFS
    i think its stupid to judge this move right now. i wont say anything bad about this RUMORED move until the end of the year. wins and losses at the end of the year will show if this is a good move or not. from what i have read they said artest likes him alot. which is huge because thats who i am worried about the most as far as respecting the coach that comes in.

delivering the goods
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think its stupid to judge this move right now. i wont say anything bad about this RUMORED move until the end of the year. wins and losses at the end of the year will show if this is a good move or not. from what i have read they said artest likes him alot. which is huge because thats who i am worried about the most as far as respecting the coach that comes in.

are you going to feel the same if they move the team to Vegas? I thought them letting Adelman go was the Magoof. I'd love to see them here in Vegas, so I can see the Spurs without having to leave town

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    are you going to feel the same if they move the team to Vegas? I thought them letting Adelman go was the Magoof. I'd love to see them here in Vegas, so I can see the Spurs without having to leave town
    i dont care if they move to china. i dont go to that many games anyway, i would be fan still. getting rid of adelman who always relys on starters was a great move.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The Maloofs chose a geriatric WNBA coach with absolutely no knowledge of or experience in the NBA - ever -

a) in the midst of what is supposed to be a return to respectability
    b) immediately after acquring Ron Artest, a person not notorious for dealing well with instability or failure
    c) to replace Rick Adelman, an unspectacular but accomplished coach with a knack for player personnel
    and d) after passing over at least 5 men who by any reasonable standard have to be considered more qualified for the job (including Carlesimo, and - probably Nellie too, to say nothing of the young talent waiting in the wings like Eric Musselman, Mario Elie, Bill Laimbeer...)

Why? Pure nepotism? Do they really think this is likely to work out well?

Eh... timvp put it more succinctly than I did:
    WNBA Coach.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    The Maloofs chose a geriatric WNBA coach with absolutely no knowledge of or experience in the NBA - ever -

a) in the midst of what is supposed to be a return to respectability
    b) immediately after acquring Ron Artest, a person not notorious for dealing well with instability or failure
    c) to replace Rick Adelman, an unspectacular but accomplished coach with a knack for player personnel
    and d) after passing over at least 5 men who by any reasonable standard have to be considered more qualified for the job (including Carlesimo, and - probably Nellie too, to say nothing of the young talent waiting in the wings like Eric Musselman, Mario Elie, Bill Laimbeer...)

Why? Pure nepotism? Do they really think this is likely to work out well?

Eh... timvp put it more succinctly than I did:
    like i said before, until its official you guys are making yourselves look stupid. the maloofs didnt pass up anyone because they havent hired anyone yet.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    jim krandell just said the kings are getting ready to interview more coaches. they said that geoff petrie is going to chicago pretty soon so the decision of getting the coach wont be announced until next week at the earliest. THANK GOD! kings fans rejoice.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She Got Next

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    P.J. should be given an interview at least. I hope he stays with the Spurs, but he deserves a chance with a NBA team.
    Nah. If they're not going to hire him, there's no point in giving him an interview.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like there will be a coaching position open in Detroit this summer too. Flip has lost that team...

Thread Information