Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    ESPN.com

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee ans promised they wanted Vince Young, the third pick overall and the first quarterback taken in the draft, under contract before they opened training camp.

They avoided any lengthy holdouts Thursday, agreeing to terms with both Young and LenDale White a day before the first practice Friday afternoon.

Young, the No. 3 overall pick out of Texas, agreed to a five-year deal, with an option for a sixth, with $25.7 million guaranteed and an overall value that could reach $58 million with option and roster bonuses and salary.

The contract includes a $12.3 million option bonus due next March, a $2.365 roster bonus due this year and six years of guaranteed salary totalling $11.075 million, for guaranteed money totalling $25.74 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. There's a one-time bonus of $4.1 million Young can collect should he play in 35 percent of the ans' snaps this year or 45 percent in any other year.

That would top the six-year, $54 million deal with $26.5 million guaranteed for the top draft pick, defensive end Mario Williams of Houston.

"It was a great deal for us," said Major Adams, the quarterback's agent.

Adams flew into Nashville a week ago and has been negotiating with Reese to have Young under contract before the ans open training camp on Friday afternoon. The ans also wanted Young in camp on time to speed his development for a team trying to rebound from a 4-12 record in 2005.

"We're pleased to finish up these rookie contracts in time for camp," general manager Floyd Reese said.

"Both sides had one goal, and that was to get him in on time," Adams said. "We accomplished that, and we worked diligently to get him in."

Adams said Young, who was in Nashville on Thursday, was very excited and will be in Clarksville on Friday.

Coach Jeff Fisher called the deals good news even though the deals still had to be finalized and signed, which could delay Young's first practice.

"This is an especially important year for both these players, in addition to all the other draft choices," Fisher said. "They're able to come in at the start of camp and put a full training camp under their belt before the season starts."

Reese has had all but two of his top draft picks under contract before training camp since the franchise relocated to Tennessee from Houston in 1997. Cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, the sixth pick overall in 2005, missed 20 days of training camp before signing his own five-year deal.

"This ensures that all of our rookies can focus on football and improving each day in practice so they can be in a position to contribute to the team," Reese said in a statement.

Young won't come into training camp as the starter. That job, for now, belongs to six-year veteran Billy Volek.

But the ans used their highest draft pick since taking Steve McNair in the same spot in 1995 looking for another franchise quarterback. They gambled on the athletic ability and promise shown by the 6-foot-4, 233-pound Young and drafted him over Matt Leinart of Southern California and Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt.

"Every practice is important," Fisher said. "Every session is important. Training camp goes beyond practice. It's meetings, walk-throughs, all those kinds of things. Every day is important, especially as it relates to a young quarterback."

Young led the Texas Longhorns to a 30-2 record in three seasons, including the national le last January in the Rose Bowl. Young completed 61.8 percent of his passes and also had 43 career runs of 20 yards or longer, including seven of 51 yards or longer.

He totaled 9,167 yards offense at Texas, a school record. He also was second in the Heisman Trophy voting last year and won the Davey O'Brien award as the top quarterback.

White, the former Southern California running back, lost that Rose Bowl to Young and also came out after his junior season. But it was a right hamstring injury that kept him from running for teams before the draft that dropped him from a possible top 15 pick to the second round where Tennessee took him with the 45th pick overall.

The 6-foot-1, 235-pound running back will find himself behind starter Chris Brown and veteran Travis Henry. But White has shown both power with 52 rushing touchdowns and dependability with only four fumbles in his last 541 carries.

He averaged 6.6 yards per carry and led the nation in scoring with 156 points in 2005.

The ans also agreed to terms with fifth-round pick Terna Nande. The linebacker from Miami of Ohio agreed to terms on a three-year contract

Damn, looks like Reggies holdin out for sure!!! I doubt the saints can beat VY's contract...

Leonard Doody is my BITCH! Mr Dio's Avatar
    Post Count
    ans got the best QB in this yr's draft.

25 mil guanteed? If he's halfway smart with his money the man is set. Good deal Vince. Good Deal.

Post Count
    I think it is close to or a lil over $29 mil.

ESPN.com

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee ans promised they wanted Vince Young, the third pick overall and the first quarterback taken in the draft, under contract before they opened training camp.

Young, the No. 3 overall pick out of Texas, agreed to a five-year deal, with an option for a sixth, with $25.7 million guaranteed and an overall value that could reach $58 million with option and roster bonuses and salary.

The contract includes a $12.3 million option bonus due next March
    That's where I took the 25 mil number from. 25.7 to quote exactly

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    well Vince is a rich man, thats for sure

1. HUGE gamble and, imo, a waste of money
    2. horrible news for the Saints who are now going to have to come up with $58 million + $1
    3. the best QB in the draft is Leinart and after that....hmmm, maybe cutler....

...this is going to go down as one of the worst deals in the history of the NFL.

Bruce!...don't Bump The Mango Tree koopa's Avatar
    Post Count
    wtf??? cutler, dude you must be stuck on stupid with that remark. vince will be the better out of the top three, vince proved it in college and he'll prove it in the nfl. i'm glad he got signed, he doesn't need to be missing out on anything.

2. horrible news for the Saints who are now going to have to come up with $58 million + $1

...this is going to go down as one of the worst deals in the history of the NFL.
    Those SC goggles are fitted firmly upon the brow of our resident aggey-trojan. Double the hate, both teams HOOKED in '05

I do agree with that statement. That signing completely ed the Saints and threw off the natural order of dollar amounts for contracts for players taken in the 1st round. Looks like Houston was smart after all.

wtf??? cutler, dude you must be stuck on stupid with that remark. vince will be the better out of the top three, vince proved it in college and he'll prove it in the nfl. i'm glad he got signed, he doesn't need to be missing out on anything.
    ...i don't think Cutler is going to be that great in the nfl, probably an average qb. which, does say a lot about what i think of vy.....he will be a huge letdown.

and if you want to talk about who proved it in college....if you compare Leinart to vy in college, Leinart blows him out of the water. the stats, games, and championships!!!

...i don't think Cutler is going to be that great in the nfl, probably an average qb. which, does say a lot about what i think of vy.....he will be a huge letdown.

and if you want to talk about who proved it in college....if you compare Leinart to vy in college, Leinart blows him out of the water. the stats, games, and championships!!!
    Right, and David Robinson totally owns Hakeem Olajuwon too.

Post Count

Leinart will be a good but not great QB. As long as the wind doesn't blow too hard & his passes flutter & hang in the air like a nice little sick/dying duck.

Cutler could be the 2nd best QB in this yr's 1st round.
    VY def #1.
    Time will tell though.

My Team
    Seattle Seahawks
    Post Count
    Vince Young is going to suck in the NFL.

agreed. you are a gentleman and a scholar.

That would be Reggie McNeal.

Oh wait...you'll have to actually have game minutes to suck.

My Team
    Miami Dolphins
    Post Count
    I tend to agree. You have to have brains, not just skill to win.

Makes me wonder how he managed to do well in school. There's really not a cure for stupid.

My Team
    Seattle Seahawks
    Post Count
    head to head matchup: VY 1, Leinart 0
    total ncaa championships won: VY 1, Leinart 1

why do some peopel say VY is stupid? because of the dunderlick or is it bc he's black you fascists
    Because he is.

Post Count
    The Saints chances of signing Reggie Bush just got tougher.

Post Count
    Well, Joey Suckington was an awwwwwwwwwwwesome QB & pretty typical of most PAC-10 QBs of late.

Wonder what Joey's Wonderlic score was?

Post Count
    That would be Reggie McNeal.

Oh wait...you'll have to actually have game minutes to suck.

Who?
    What round was he drafted?
    Drafted to lead a team to a Super Bowl as a QB?

Does your gay ass say ANYTHING that hasn't been said on espn.com a million times already? You're such a generic asshole.

Like when you bring up Bush being more of a sure thing than Young in a ing Bush thread. You are worthless.

Jesus Christ

Post Count
    Does your gay ass say ANYTHING that hasn't been said on espn.com a million times already? You're such a generic asshole.

Like when you bring up Bush being more of a sure thing than Young in a ing Bush thread. You are worthless.

Thread Information